Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Apr 2001, 14:40 (Ref:85801)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Kiwi have been sent home early again after failing to make the grade in pre-qualifying at Eastern Creek.

They have an ex-Perkins built VT and ran well at Bathurst for Rookies. I thought their drivers had been racing in NZ for a while and were accomplished racers so what are they doing wrong (other than not going fast enough).

Any ideas ?
Old 27 Apr 2001, 15:40 (Ref:85816)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
beats me...their drivers have got experience..i dont know much about Angus fogg but jason richards has plenty of 2 litre experience but i guess that shows how much of a jump between the 2 classes there is ..(just look at Morris and Jones)

the cars look great and are very good cars..maybe they dont have the knack of setting them up as yet..early days really for this team ..hopefully they can get it together and start performing well before their investors get sick of pumping funds into a big hole.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 23:14 (Ref:86060)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably a lack of experience with setting up the car, and the track...only having 10 laps before pre-qualifying wouldn't be long enough to even learn the braking points etc, let alone come up with a quick set up. I'm surprised Richards was the only Kiwi car on the track in pre-qualifying; Fogg was no where to be seen.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 23:49 (Ref:86078)   #4
WheelMan
Rookie

WheelMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Richards is a very fast experienced driver but most of the tracks this year are going to be new to him.
Having said that, it still doesn't explain the big lack of speed shown.
Does anyone know about the rest of Team Kiwi in the pits.
How experienced are they.Is it just Jason and Angus learning the ropes here or are the engineers and whatnots also new to this series?
I really admire TeamKiwi for the huge commitment they are making both in Oz and NZ motorsport.
They say they are in for the long haul and I really hope they are right.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 07:22 (Ref:86141)   #5
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know what their problem is; there in Holden's. If they were running Ford's they'd make it through pre-qualifying to make the series look more even in terms of repesentation.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 07:28 (Ref:86143)   #6
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were going to run Fords originally but Ford NZ weren't interested.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 11:00 (Ref:86511)   #7
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i heard.

they were @ the creek. the Richards would have run but Canto out gunned him 4 the last spot with only seconds left in the session.
Old 6 May 2001, 02:30 (Ref:89534)   #8
nz_tourer
Rookie

nz_tourer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys and gals, hence the name i may appear a little bias!

Yeah, Richards is pure talent, and I am sure he will well settle into the series in a few years. He is NZ's best touring car driver for sure, has taken the NZ 2ltr title a few years in a row. He drove a BMW in the NZ 2ltr series and took the title a few times, and then took it again earlier this year in a Primera for TKR. Not bad, and certainly not expected considering this was a new team and new brand of car. Foggy has run in the 2ltrs for a couple of years now, and used to drive minis. He drove a well prepared Nissan Bluebird (?) in 99/00 season and took it to the beemers and provide some great duels with Jason. He came 2nd in 00/01 behind Jason. I dont know anything about the team itself, but did a fine effort for their 1st time out in the 2 ltr series and I think that they are doing a good job so far. I am not phased by the fact that they havn't qualified yet, new car, new team, new tracks - inexperience, so give em time. Their sponsers have been told not to expect much and most of them have signed for a couple of years.

Jason and Angus are Pukekohe masters, and have already done some testing there in the VT, so lets just hope they get some race time before Nov and they may turn a few heads.
Old 6 May 2001, 06:10 (Ref:89563)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Welcome aboard NZ!

The one thing is that I hope that the sponsors don't lose hope....certainly some sponsors in the past have given up after instant success was not forthcoming.
Old 6 May 2001, 08:16 (Ref:89572)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G'day enzed, what cars & classes are running in the NZTCC nowadays?
Old 6 May 2001, 10:01 (Ref:89590)   #11
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have done a year or so in the Konica series,unfortunatly they have jumped into a very big pond by going straight to the Shell Championship.
I want to see them do well even if they`re in a Holden.
It MAY open the doors for other international teams.
Old 6 May 2001, 10:29 (Ref:89598)   #12
nz_tourer
Rookie

Howdy Crash, I hope the sponsors stick at it. Most of them have signed for about 3 years, and they have been sat down and told not to expect much. The teams main goal obviouisly is to qualify the car for as many races as poss, if they can do that they can get some decent time in the car, and start getting some data on the car and tracks and thats what they nned to move foward.

Hey Dave, 2ltr class and a few 1600's thrown in for good measure. BMW Motorsport have been the dominant team for quite a few years until TKR came around. TKR had a tough beginning to the class and they looked a little sad at first, but they showed consistency and then won a few races.

2 BMW 320i's driven Brett Riley and Kevin Bell, BMW team. The 2 TKR Prmieras. 1 Lexus IS200 driven by Barry Thomlinson, team run by Geoff Short. The team also has a few old Telstars they occasionally bring out, one of the Rat's old ones I think. Jody Vincent runs a Sentra, hes about 20 and damn fast. Then there is an M3, Fogg's old Bluebird, a Corona and the 1600's, Corollas, Suzuki, Astina and a few others.

It is a damn good series, NZ's best. Our V8 sister series needs some work though.
Old 6 May 2001, 12:15 (Ref:89623)   #13
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
G'day NZ.
Welcome to our place of fun. What we need to know is whether you are a FORD or hold on supporter. I think ill guess hold on because of team kiwi, which is unfotunate if it is. But we'll let you post here anyway

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 6 May 2001, 14:03 (Ref:89649)   #14
nz_tourer
Rookie

Hi mountpanorama

ummm, i am undecided on that one. I support drivers from both sides, and I like the road car versions as much as each other. I am not an HRT fan, but admire their professionalism and class. My fave teams are probably DJR, K Mart, Castrol, and I like Gibson but didnt rate his dumping of Richo and Murf, but the demise of the Gibson /K mart era was the best thing that happened to all parties involved. And I support Larkos team, SuperCheap, K&J's, Landsvales. and of course TKR.