United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon guys, they aren't THAT bad.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2775611)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It would be helpful to know what you think the lengths of those circuit should be. And, if you have any ideas on elevation change or other things, let us know.

None of them are bad, but I think I like the second, third, and fourth better than the first, and really, the second and fourth ones are the best from my perspective. I would say though, that the hairpins in the middle of the second and fourth circuits look impossibly tight, and may, for practical reasons, need to be loosened up. On the first track, I think those two really angular corners (roughly Turns 12 and 14 on the full circuit) don't fit in so well with the rest of the track. May make those so they have a bit of a round shape to them; it doesn't have to be much, but just a little so they don't look like street intersections.

Good job on the whole though. Keep it up.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 01:15 (Ref:2775624)   #4
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
I don't know about the lengths, but the tracks are all as wide as Hangar straight, if that helps.

I've only figured out the elevation for the last track(Sounds crazy to think of the layout before the blot shape, but hey ho). The pit straight and turn 1 and 1a are similar in profile to Suzuka, but coming out of 1a it's kind of like the opposite of Turn 7 at Turkey, with a banked, rising corner. The road levels out over a crest as you get onto the straight, which takes you slightly down hill into Turn 4. Out of Turn 4, the track goes sharply downhill, towards Turn 6, which for all intents and purposes, the same entry as Pouhon, and Turn 7 which is like Lauda at the A1-Ring. Then upwards and onto Turns 8 and 9, a wider version of McLeans and Coppice at Donington. Keep climbing uphill until you crest at the ultra fast, ultra blind Turn 10, and the descent into Turn 11, and further down, to the lowest point of the track, the turn 12, 13, and 14 complex. Rise out of 14 to 15, and then back down to 16 and the pit straight.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2775704)   #5
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I don't think there is too much to say without at least a rough length. Also, track direction would be a useful piece of info. The trackline alone is not enough - at least for me - to say much. What I could say is, that, in general, they all look promising at least.

bio
Old 16 Oct 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2775764)   #6
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
1,4-Clockwise
2,3-Anti-clockwise.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2775768)   #7
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Track 1-approx 6.2 km
Track 2-app. 3.8-4.0 km
Old 16 Oct 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2775771)   #8
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Track 3 - 4.0-4.2 km
Track 4- 5.6-6.0 km
Old 29 Nov 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2797300)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
In keeping up with the new 4 track a month thing, here's a new city track.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4178043
Old 29 Nov 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2797308)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I like it a lot when a street track doesn't consist of a bunch of right angle turns - well, this one doesn't, for sure

Another thing street tracks seem to be bound to feature is a lot of turns - this one's again a nice exception. Simple and fast. I really like it!

bio
Old 29 Nov 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2797312)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
It's clockwise, btw. Forgot to mention that.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2797319)   #12
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4178120

Another one. I'm thinking counter-clockwise for this one, but don't hold me to it.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2797382)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
It's clockwise, btw. Forgot to mention that.
Yep, the mile markers indicated that

bio
Old 5 Dec 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2799873)   #14
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4178120

Another one. I'm thinking counter-clockwise for this one, but don't hold me to it.
I like the general location of the track. Only problem I can see is that part of it runs on railroad tracks - although it appear that parts of it aren't in use - not sure about that, however I like the layout. Only thing I would change is perhaps smoothing out a few corners, and getting rid of a chicane. Other than that, its a good layout and a good length

Would be easy to develop a pits complex too!
Old 6 May 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2875606)   #15
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Well, I am back from the dead after a ridiculous semester, and this is my first effort of the year. It might not be immediately noticeable in this one, as my Sketchup tracks are quite different from the ones I hand draw, but I've caught Austria fever! My tracks, for at least this month will have a bit of Salzburgring and A1-Ring to them. That is to say, long, fast corners, fast esses, and more natural hairpins. Also, even though it can't be seen in the pictures, elevation changes and blind corners. And now that I've explained my method, lets get to the madness!

Few of you might know about VW's new factory in my hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee. Some might even know that the state of Tennessee hasn't had a functioning purpose built road course in quite a while. This track is my idea of what may happen if VW were to spearhead an effort for new purpose built road course in the state. It is a 12 turn 2.5 mile track, 14 ft wide, and with 80 ft of elevation change. It is meant to attract IndyCar, ALMS, Grand Am, WTCC, and be a club racing venue as well.

Track Guide:

Going down the front straight, you go downhill into turn one and two, then into three, there is an even more dramatic dropoff until the exit of 4, from there you rise through turn 5 and into turn 6, the entry reminiscent of Coppice corner at Donington. However, on exit, instead of gradually leveling off, there is a rise to the turn 7-8 esses. The track then drops off in the kink on the following straight, and you drop down into the banked 9, which rises on exit into the slightly banked turn 10. Then it's a rise to turn 11, which falls off on exit, and down through turn 12 and downward onto the finish line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VW1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	32579

Name:	VW2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	32580
Old 8 May 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2876943)   #16
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Might I make a suggestion regarding the presentation of your designs.

THat is add a little green around the outside of the circuit, possibly with the barrier as shown in the inside. THe green doesn't have to represent the overall shape, just to allow some definition.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2952365)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5066186

Here's a layout for a CIK grade A kart track I have planned. Will have the layout done tonight hopefully.
Old 2 May 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3068352)   #18
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
I've taken SBF's advice finally, and here is a new WIP. This one is also in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN. As a matter of fact it is minutes away from where I live. It is a 1.6 mile club track, with quite a bit of elevation. I haven't decided what I want to do with the pits as it is such a small track and not meant for professional competitions. Really it's meant for club racing, and hopefully super karts. The track is ten meters wide, with the highest point being the kink on the long run to T6, and the lowest being the penultimate hairpin, and the proceeding straight.

Name:	track.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	36795
For reference, T1 is at the very top.

This may be my first sketchup track for this year, but I have notebook pages full of, IMO, epic blotch shapes. It's tough making that translate into such a small space, but I think this effort was pretty good and hope you guys enjoy.
Old 2 May 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3068401)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice to see you back with a design in Sketch-up.

Is there a real world location that this would fit into or does it already exist? ... not sure from your description.
Regarding pits, unless it's imperative that the circuit is capable of holding pit stop races, I'd simple out an entry and Exit to a paddock area. Obviously somewhere near your S/F but it doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
You might want a team signalling (pit board) area that would be need to be somewhere on the S/F though.

Don't worry to much about trying to get everything right... why not scan a few of your notebook designs and stick them up, hopefully they will drum up a few comments which might help in refining your ideas.

I have to say though, there is a brilliant full size circuit screaming out to be used in that area...unfortunately it uses the apron, taxiways and runways of Metropolitan Airport.
Old 2 May 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3068418)   #20
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Nice to see you back with a design in Sketch-up.
Thanks, it really means a lot coming from you guys.

Quote:
Is there a real world location that this would fit into or does it already exist? ... not sure from your description.
Regarding pits, unless it's imperative that the circuit is capable of holding pit stop races, I'd simple out an entry and Exit to a paddock area. Obviously somewhere near your S/F but it doesn't necessarily have to be the case.
You might want a team signalling (pit board) area that would be need to be somewhere on the S/F though.
It is a real world location, but not an existing track. There is only one road course in the state of Tennessee, and it's in Memphis.
Old 2 May 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3068435)   #21
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Without wishing to hijack your thread, here is that circuit I mentioned that could be run out of the airport.

Name:	Chattanooga.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	36796

It would run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise as you'd say over there)
3.34 miles (5.352 km)
Old 3 May 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3068821)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Without wishing to hijack your thread, here is that circuit I mentioned that could be run out of the airport.

Attachment 36796

It would run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise as you'd say over there)
3.34 miles (5.352 km)
Lol, when you said that, I pulled it up in gmaps pedometer and got about the same circuit. It would be very exciting. To be honest if the runways were paved, I think it could be done as it's not too busy an airport.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3235986)   #23
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States

Name:	trackApril13.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	39752

My newest track, also in my hometown, just 15 minutes away from the airport posted above. Built for club racing touring cars and smaller open wheelers, it is about 2.51 miles long, runs CCW, and has both an national configuration and a shorter Trophy circuit, which is about 2 miles long. It has pit garages as well as over the wall style pits, a la Laguna Seca. I would also like for there to be a research facility inside the paddock that can hold STEM classes as well. It's close enough to the inner city that a field trip for schoolkids or getting to STEM classes wouldn't be a problem for any child in the Chattanooga area, but it's hopefully far enough away from any neighborhoods to prevent any NIMBYs, and considering how close it is to railroad hubs and the airport, that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I wish I could show just how much elevation there is on this track, but I have not yet acquired that talent.
Old 18 Apr 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3236133)   #24
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there. I really like the look of this circuit, some of the corners have really nice profiles and there is a lot of variation. For example, I like the section of corners running along the back of the paddock, the first of which (turn 6??) would be a real challenge, trying to slow the car down from high speed as the corner tightens would be tough! I also like the corners at the top of the national loop, as well the long sweeps onto and off the pit straight.

Good job
Old 4 Apr 2015, 03:17 (Ref:3523622)   #25
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
My newest effort, counterclockwise and meant for touring cars, time attack, drifting, and karts, and maybe rallycross or bikes as well. Approximately 1.5-2 miles long depending on layout. Not the best effort, but I was working with real world property so I was a bit limited. Maybe you guys can give some tips.

Name:	MidValleyRaceway.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	44737