Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 6 Jun 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3258478)   #1
beqa16v
Rookie

beqa16v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New racer, first lap advices

Hi everyone. I am a new racer in Georgia, competing in national Formula Alfa championships. These are slicks and wings cars, with 2 liter twin spark engine.

I would like to get some advice concerning the first lap and generally my approach to races.

I had a small accident in the first corner in my first race as I could not brake as hard as other cars ahead of me. The car survived but It ended my race in the gravel. Later we found small problem with brakes (they lacked power, i could not lock my tires no matter how hard i pressed the pedal).
I got the car only on Friday therefore had just a day to inspect everything and prepare for the race, but still i thought i was keeping more than enough distance between the car in front and was surprised to hit him.

We have rolling starts in races, therefore it would be good to have your advice on how to behave on the first lap and what to pay attention to.

I will probably have further questions but I think this is more important at the moment.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3258961)   #2
beqa16v
Rookie

Thanks
Does anybody know how to contact racecarsforsale.com on telephone. I was charged twice and my ad is still not active. The link for contacts on their website is no longer working as well.
Old 7 Jun 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3259003)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a rolling start you have a pace lap. Generally they ask that you don't leave much space between each other during that, but I think you'd be okay to do some braking and accelerating as long as it is predictable...

So, weave a bit if you can. This doesn't generate much tyre temp, but it does help clean the surface of stones and grit (as long as you aren't weaving on and off the marbles and debris on the track!). Plus you get an idea if the car is behaving itself and not loose in one direction or making strange noises with steering lock etc.

Riding the brakes with your left foot a bit generates heat that might transfer to the wheel too. Even if it doesn't, the brakes will warm through so you have warm calipers, pads and discs. Not too hot, but enough so that they have residual heat in them like they would prior to braking on, say, the 5th lap.

Accelerating and braking generates tyre temp too - in fact, the harder you brake once racing, the more tyre temp you have so you can brake harder and corner harder. There are quick racers you can't brake very well, but there are no slow racers that can brake properly. Was it Starling Mess who once said that braking is the very last thing a driver learns to do properly - I believe this is true!

So in short it's about preparation. You want to use the brakes and tyres to slow down at the first corner, so get some energy into the first. The skill is to do it without crashing or being hit on the parade lap. Very easy to run in to the guy ahead who brakes when you're accelerating!
Old 8 Jun 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3259268)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The only first lap advice I can give you is unless you are on the front row use your head and not your foot.
You can't win it on the first lap but as you have found out you can certainly loose it !
Get to know what other drivers are like in your particular series and battle with someone at a similar speed until you feel you can go that bit quicker.
If you try to run before you can walk you will find it will cost you a lot of money and may even put you out of racing for a while, or good !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jun 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3259414)   #5
beqa16v
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
The only first lap advice I can give you is unless you are on the front row use your head and not your foot.
You can't win it on the first lap but as you have found out you can certainly loose it !
Get to know what other drivers are like in your particular series and battle with someone at a similar speed until you feel you can go that bit quicker.
If you try to run before you can walk you will find it will cost you a lot of money and may even put you out of racing for a while, or good !!!
Thanks, thats what I was trying to do. Wasnt trying to pass anybody, just wanted to cruise into the first corner and the first lap but it did not work out the way I planned
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3269901)   #6
beqa16v
Rookie

Thanks again guys. Second race went smoothly. It turned out that I had terrible brake bias problem (70% rear) which. affected the performance of brakes badly. They work well now. Finished P6
Old 26 Jun 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3269971)   #7
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beqa16v View Post
I got the car only on Friday therefore had just a day to inspect everything and prepare for the race, but still i thought i was keeping more than enough distance between the car in front and was surprised to hit him.
Never, but NEVER, try to race any car you haven't first sorted in practice!

Pre-Race practice is usually too late.............

You are risking: your life and risking serious injury: your car: other guys on the circuit: as well as spectators.

Not even Fangio, on his best day, would have tried to do what you did.

I well remember nicking an afternoon from work (I'm self employed so it's up to me; however, I couldn't lose that guilty feeling!) when I had been over to see my then doc in West Kingsdown, Kent (err, just up the road from Brands Hatch) and the Doc's receptionists's daughter worked for the circuit and phoned her Mum to tell her Nigel Mansell was testing that afternoon.........

Circuit open for free. Sun was shining, so why not?

Nigel was then in the USA driving Indycars and jetted over to pedal Frank Williams's F1 Williams-Renault: and straight off the plane went to Brands for pre-race (French GP at Magny Cours) testing: and proceeded to shatter -unofficially - Redman and Rollinson's record for the club circuit. 44 secs dead driving F5000. Nige was circulating, straight out the box at around 42 < and >.

So, lesson: if Nigel needed to test, a professional racing driver, are you better than him? (obviously, then, Indycars used manual gears and F1, the paddle shift; plus the handling characteristics were totally different, mainly due to F1 allowed gizmos and particularly, aerodynamics).

Glad you sorted out the brake balance bias. Critical stuff on a single seater.

Rough method for setting up the balance bar: when a practice session offers open road, stamp on the brakes; if the fronts lock up immediately, slacken the front bias. Keep on doing this until the car pulls up in a straight line.

Obviously use some old rubber because you will ruin good rubber by creating horrible flatspots!

Enjoy your racing!

Old 26 Jun 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3269993)   #8
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre-event check.

Jack car up. Sit in car. Have helper turn a front wheel (with tyres on, it makes it easier) as you apply brake pressure very gradually. When the wheel locks (or requires a certain amount of effort to turn) hold the brake pedal still, and get them to turn a wheel at the rear. If it's harder to turn, move the bias forwards. If it's easier, move the bias rearwards.

Repeat this until both front and rear are roughly equal, and then add a couple of turns (although it depends how sensitive your bias adjustment is) towards the front. You'll be close, but you will need a little tweak depending on circuit/conditions/car.

With regards to previous poster regarding the merits of testing - Nigel Mansell is better than me, but he and Williams also had a rather bigger wallet. Plus most amateurs end up driving laps, but not actually learning much new after about 10 laps, whereas 'pros' are developing a car with a large amount of engineers/mechanics/spares/computers.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3276942)   #9
beqa16v
Rookie

Thanks guys, I understand I had to check everything but I had contractual obligation to participate in races and I was given a car only on Thursday.

Anyway, I have noticed on photos that my car is three wheeling during slow corner exits (inside front wheel) and i feel some on throttle understeer in slow corners as well (I have total toe in of 2mm in rear). Front anti roll settings are soft but still. Is it a suspension problem or something normal?