Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3312709)   #26
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescara Productions View Post
I saw a comment to do with Mallory recently from a guy who has some connections with the BARC who has said that the BARC themselves are going into/close to going into voluntary administration. This is probably just a rumor but who knows, it could be true. Imagine the havoc this could cause for championships like the BTCC. I could understand if they were in financial trouble too as all the new clubs that are popping up and how the BARC has had track troubles with Croft and Mallory recently might have put them in the wrong financial situation at the wrong time.

But like I said it could just be a rumor.
I can confirm that this is completely untrue.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3312712)   #27
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the local newspaper the land owners offered to reduce the rent by half, this was denied by barc....someone is not telling the truth
Old 4 Oct 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3312718)   #28
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
I can confirm that this is completely untrue.
Thanks for nailing that one.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3312763)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Maybe it would have been better not to repeat it?

The situation at Mallory is bad enough with the spreading of unsubstantiated, possibly malicious, rumours.
LIKE!

Last time I looked at the BARC's accounts they seemed to have plenty of financial reserves,
Old 5 Oct 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3313104)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
LIKE!

Last time I looked at the BARC's accounts they seemed to have plenty of financial reserves,
Yes I wouldn't mind swapping their bank account for mine at this moment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Oct 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3313130)   #31
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postie View Post
According to the local newspaper the land owners offered to reduce the rent by half, this was denied by barc....someone is not telling the truth
This was also told to me by my contact in the village , who actually supports the race circuit.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3314060)   #32
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Did I read somewhere that the lease has transferred to a new company? Or am I dreaming??? I'm sure I did, but can't remember where, or details...
Old 7 Oct 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3314063)   #33
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The day after Administrators were called into MPML, BARC set up a new company called Mallory Park Motor Racing Limited (MPMRL).

Name & Registered Office:
MALLORY PARK MOTOR RACING LIMITED
THRUXTON CIRCUIT
THRUXTON
ANDOVER
HAMPSHIRE
UNITED KINGDOM
SP11 8PN
Company No. 08716007

Date of Incorporation: 02/10/2013

I'm sure the legal beagles will unpick it, but the Eve Hewitt is excellent at getting the stories behind the stories reported and got the above information, and later posted this on Midweek Motorsport:

Well let's see how to unpick this. The people running the circuit broke the rules repeatedly and whined when they got caught and couldn't get their own way. The company running it (MPML) is a wholly owned subsidiary of BARC. I can see no evidence, given how recently the council rejected their claim to need 160-215 noisy days a year, to suggest that there has been an attempt to recast the business, reduce operating costs, change operating parameters before putting the company into administration. So, while I wait for their accounts and the accounts of BARC to download I'll simply say that it doesn't look to me as if it NEEDED to close. Indeed it is not closed. And having a new management company run by the same people only means they start again without the liabilities of the old one. But to be clear about what we mean by liabilities that is : people's jobs, small businesses who have yet to have their bills paid, local business ditto.

Which is a view I tend to agree with.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3314079)   #34
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I think this a 'legal ploy', which I'm sure is the result of BARC's lawyer's advice. I'm sure that we all wish Mallory Park well and trust that this move will not leave the creditors of the original company at any disadvantage - BARC are an ethical organisation and I'm sure that won't be the case.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3314091)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I think this a 'legal ploy', which I'm sure is the result of BARC's lawyer's advice. I'm sure that we all wish Mallory Park well and trust that this move will not leave the creditors of the original company at any disadvantage - BARC are an ethical organisation and I'm sure that won't be the case.
Obviously I can't telly if that was typed with your tongue firmly in your cheek John, but this tactic just looks like: we'll declare the old company bankrupt, that'll get rid of our old debts and the we'll re-start another (the same) company and carry on as before.
Just my personal interpretation, but it looks a littly "shonky" to me...
Old 7 Oct 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3314107)   #36
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that a 'phoenix company' scam for financial reasons could be an seen as a possible reason but I don't believe that BARC would be THAT unethical. However, I have no 'inside knowledge' and, if I'm proved to be wrong, I'll be in the queue with the burning torches.
So, my tongue isn't in my cheek - but only because I've just been to the dentist
Old 7 Oct 2013, 13:43 (Ref:3314111)   #37
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On balance, I subscribe to John's view of the BARC.

This may not be what is commonly called a "prepack administration" but it does run the risk of suffering the same adverse criticism unless the BARC do the decent thing.

I suspect the company going into administration will make clear to all those concerned with agreeing sensible conditions that these are essential if the circuit is going to continue.

Perhaps another organisation could be found to run the place jointly with BARC?

(Did you know that BARC were stopped from allowing pedal cycling use of the track because it would constitute an "event"? No, neither did I. In the face of that sort of support it is no wonder that BARC had to draw the line somewhere.)

I do hope that local businesses (B&B's especially) will explain the realities of business life to their councillors and the paid council staff. Equally BARC are going to have to be realistic about numbers of (motorsport) days and the sound levels to be enforced.

Regards

Jim
Old 7 Oct 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3314113)   #38
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I agree that a 'phoenix company' scam for financial reasons could be an seen as a possible reason but I don't believe that BARC would be THAT unethical. However, I have no 'inside knowledge' and, if I'm proved to be wrong, I'll be in the queue with the burning torches.
So, my tongue isn't in my cheek - but only because I've just been to the dentist
OK John, thanks for the clarification. Like you, I would hope that the BARC would be more ethical than (shall we say) a more hard nosed professional company.
One other hope that I have is that if the 'new company' does get the chance to run Mallory, that they don't employ the 'old management' who appear to be responsible for getting them into this mess in the first place!

Last edited by VIVA GT; 7 Oct 2013 at 13:44. Reason: spellling
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3314173)   #39
historic racer
Rookie

From what I understand the 1985 restrictions only applied to the old company running MP now that it is to be run by a new company the restrictions no longer apply so they can run as many days as they want. The BARC lawyers no doubt found this loophole and have gone down a commercial path rather than an ethical one, if they are not careful they may well end up with another Castle Combe !
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3314180)   #40
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be very surprised if the restrictions only applied to a company. Most of the ones I have had dealings with (quarries, asphalt & concrete plants) the restrictions apply to the site not the owner/user.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3314181)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by historic racer View Post
From what I understand the 1985 restrictions only applied to the old company running MP now that it is to be run by a new company the restrictions no longer apply so they can run as many days as they want.
I'd doubt it...surely planning restrictions are placed on the property not the company operating it? Otherwise we could all run a coach and horses through planning regulations by asking someone else to run our events. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it seems illogical to be otherwise ad rather defeats the point of planning restrictions.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3314238)   #42
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'd doubt it...surely planning restrictions are placed on the property not the company operating it? Otherwise we could all run a coach and horses through planning regulations by asking someone else to run our events. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it seems illogical to be otherwise ad rather defeats the point of planning restrictions.
Planning enforcement action is taken against the owner of a site, rather than an operator.

Mallory's issues arise from breaching a 1985 Noise Abatement Notice (made under Environmental Health legislation as opposed to Planning), which also runs with the land.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 07:01 (Ref:3314434)   #43
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Unfortunately I can see no overhand (this has to be the opposite of underhand, surely?) reason for putting "Mallory Park running Company #1" into administration and starting a new company called something like "Mallory Park running Company #2".
If there's nothing to be gained (writing off old debts and starting afresh with a clean slate for example) then what is the point?
Although I do not know for certain, I would agree with the comments above and would have thought that the 1985 noise abatement restrictions would have been aimed at the venue, not whatever company happens to be running that venue at that time. (Otherwise it would have been far simpler for a new company to have been formed many years ago so that they could run more days at the circuit).
Old 8 Oct 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3314701)   #44
historic racer
Rookie

From information given to me by my contact in KM the restrictions were applied to the company who were running the circuit. If that company goes into administration and a new company takes over any restrictions are cancelled. If you think about it there is no other logical reason for the BARC taking the path they have, especially having been offered a 50% reduction in rent, if you have trouble with that contact Titan Property's who have confirmed that with the representitives of KM.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3314732)   #45
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by historic racer View Post
If you think about it there is no other logical reason for the BARC taking the path they have....
To avoid paying the £25,500 fine levied against the old MPML .....it's not that hard to figure is it?

Last edited by relativtortoise; 8 Oct 2013 at 18:41.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3314766)   #46
adamgittings
Rookie

England
Nuneaton
adamgittings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taken from Autosport site:

Mallory Park owners say operators solely to blame for troubles

By Ben Anderson Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 08:22 GMT

The owners of Mallory Park say the circuit's operator is "solely to blame" for the difficulties the Leicestershire race venue finds itself in.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110435

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Oct 2013 at 19:43. Reason: Removed article, posted link instead.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 20:17 (Ref:3314787)   #47
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The autosport article looks like a direct lift of the article on the 'ThisisLeicestershire' website last week.

I understand, from a very reputable source, that one of the MPML management is touting his services round other circuits.

A guilty Rat leaving the ship he sunk?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3314792)   #48
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or just man looking for a job? Unfortunately there may be a few Mallory people looking for jobs
Old 9 Oct 2013, 06:58 (Ref:3314977)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Or just man looking for a job? Unfortunately there may be a few Mallory people looking for jobs
Yes, very true and very sad. The question is: who's fault is that?
Old 9 Oct 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3314987)   #50
historic racer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
To avoid paying the £25,500 fine levied against the old MPML .....it's not that hard to figure is it?
A fine of £25,500 against a 50% reduction in rent ? the fine will look small beer!....it's not that hard to figure is it ?