Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3792072)   #1
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Zak Brown

Talks a lot does Mr Brown eh?
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3792104)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't say I've noticed.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3792109)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Talks a lot does Mr Brown eh?
I think you are mistaken, Americans are renowned for being quiet and understated in everything they say and do, if you want a country of loud obnoxious people go to Finland.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3792113)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh aye, Zak Brown talks far more than Lauda, Wolff and Horner.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3792114)   #5
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Mercedes have more to shout about, and Horner is just the media mouthpiece put up by Red Bull as he has nothing better to do during the race.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3792116)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I think you are mistaken, Americans are renowned for being quiet and understated in everything they say and do, if you want a country of loud obnoxious people go to Finland.
Gaaaaaaaaaaah! I have English friends, eyes, and ears so I know this to be true, but I've never been able to figure out why. Every time a Brit opens their mouth I automatically think they're smarter than me and I feel under dressed.

As for Zak, I really like him! He's doing more to engage the American F1 fans than anyone I've seen. Most of the season he would call into the NBC race broadcast and do an interview during the race. Being a McLaren fan, I thought this was awesome. Bringing Alonso over for the 500 was a HUGE deal too.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3792117)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Every time a Brit opens their mouth I automatically think they're smarter than me and I feel under dressed.
You've not met me yet. We can solve this problem for you.
Old 11 Jan 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3792125)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bit of an F1 coincidence seeing this thread today as i just read the Zak Brown guest blog he posted today on James Allen's blog site.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...bout-for-2018/

some general thoughts on F1 for 2018 as well as thoughts on other categories. nothing groundbreaking but straightforward comments without any RonSpeak so thats something!

a bit off topic but next month there will be a 4 episode documentary on Amazon Prime about Mclaren's 2017 season.

will wait to see how much access/insightful it is but surely not something Ron would have done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCwf6__yB0
Old 12 Jan 2018, 05:24 (Ref:3792198)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mr Steiner seems to be quoted about Haas every other week as well..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Jan 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3792241)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it’s funny, if you focus on one person being quoted on the motorsport network nonsense and read all their quotes at once it becomes blindingly apparent a great deal of articles are produced from one reasonably short conversation, and often a month or so prior at this time of year.

some people may say tenths is losing popularity, i’d say it’s more that people on here realise that often there’s not a great deal to talk about that changes often enough for fresh debate every few days. unfortunately, the 24 hour press nowadays can’t get away with publishing nothing for a few days.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3792244)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He's certainly a bit of an addition to the Piranha Club has Zak
Old 12 Jan 2018, 13:06 (Ref:3792262)   #12
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...combined. At least there is substance to what they say backed up on the track.

I loved the way he said we don't need a title sponsor in reaction to not getting one (after him previously saying it was a priority for 2018...). He may as well have said no, we don't need 100m free cash to help the team.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3792263)   #13
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
bit of an F1 coincidence seeing this thread today as i just read the Zak Brown guest blog he posted today on James Allen's blog site.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...bout-for-2018/

some general thoughts on F1 for 2018 as well as thoughts on other categories. nothing groundbreaking but straightforward comments without any RonSpeak so thats something!

a bit off topic but next month there will be a 4 episode documentary on Amazon Prime about Mclaren's 2017 season.

will wait to see how much access/insightful it is but surely not something Ron would have done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCwf6__yB0
Actually, McLaren have form for this - "A Season with McLaren" from the 93 season was a six parter shown on BBC 2 over the winter of 94 and very good actually. Ron was heavily involved and showed his many sides, some good, some not so as is Ron.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3792284)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I have to admit I quite like Zak Brown - yes he talks a lot of ******** but so do all of the people the teams shove out in front of the microphone. The reason I like him is quite simple - he's a genuine racer, he loves the sport - his collection of cars (that he drives in anger not just garaged) is the sort of thing we all dream of. So yes he's full of corporate waffle but on the whole - a decent bloke to have involved I think.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3792292)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed we have to thank him for letting Fred do the Indy 500 and now the Daytona 24. And hopefully also the LM24

And yes I was thinking of that BBC Documentary too when the above poster said that Ron probably wouldn’t do a documentary.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3792299)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Actually, McLaren have form for this - "A Season with McLaren" from the 93 season was a six parter shown on BBC 2 over the winter of 94 and very good actually. Ron was heavily involved and showed his many sides, some good, some not so as is Ron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And yes I was thinking of that BBC Documentary too when the above poster said that Ron probably wouldn’t do a documentary.
didnt realize this. have something to watch this weekend now...if i can find it online.

look forward to it. thanks
Old 12 Jan 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3792309)   #17
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
didnt realize this. have something to watch this weekend now...if i can find it online.

look forward to it. thanks
It was very good, I can roughly remember the episodes;
- One about the mechanics
- One on the race engineers (Steve Hallam for Andretti/Hakkinen and Giorgio Ascanelli for Senna)
- One about the sponsorship hunting.
- One about Senna
- One about Andretti
- One about Hakkinen

All done through the 1993 season with the relevant episode revolving around the topic above. At the time, I felt it was quite open and a great behind the scenes view.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3792310)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I have to admit I quite like Zak Brown - yes he talks a lot of ******** but so do all of the people the teams shove out in front of the microphone. The reason I like him is quite simple - he's a genuine racer, he loves the sport - his collection of cars (that he drives in anger not just garaged) is the sort of thing we all dream of. So yes he's full of corporate waffle but on the whole - a decent bloke to have involved I think.
As and when McLaren start performing better, I just think he's a hot air merchant. I get the whole he's into cars and what not and was obviously very good at his previous job (and he annoyed me then too actually!) but he is very prolific with no results just yet.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3792311)   #19
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed we have to thank him for letting Fred do the Indy 500 and now the Daytona 24. And hopefully also the LM24
You could argue that this was a no brainer rather than the master stroke it's often held up to be. For one, Alonso wants to do these races. Do the other drivers necessarily?

If he blocked Alonso, Alonso would leave McLaren and replace with who, Jo Palmer?

So to me it was the obvious thing to do, to let a driver who wants to do these races do so for fear of leaving the team - even if it meant missing Monaco. Alonso wouldn't do that if the McLaren was a winning car.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man at nearly 44... the world has beaten me down early
Old 12 Jan 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3792341)   #20
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I've read all the comments on here re Zak...
This bloke has some shoes to fit into..
Look at Ron's success over the years and his downfall.
Now Zak is in front of the camera talking up 2018 season. What else can he do?
The generations have changed. Ron has gone..let Zak find his feet at McLaren..
Thank Heavens FA is still there...I think, thanks to Zak.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 21:53 (Ref:3792364)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That was a really good documentary. I still have a copy of it somewhere.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3792371)   #22
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Zak is an excellent content producer for his own media group.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 23:27 (Ref:3792387)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
As and when McLaren start performing better, I just think he's a hot air merchant. I get the whole he's into cars and what not and was obviously very good at his previous job (and he annoyed me then too actually!) but he is very prolific with no results just yet.
Ron's fellow directors / enemies who lets face it were along for the ride on the Ron Show managed to gang up against him and steel his toy (McLaren) and now they don't know what it does or how to run it.

Now they have cut Ron out, they haveappointed Zak who is just a salesman and will just tell everyone what they want to hear.

Long on promises and short on delivery.

All imo of course.
Old 12 Jan 2018, 23:58 (Ref:3792393)   #24
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Now they have cut Ron out, they haveappointed Zak who is just a salesman and will just tell everyone what they want to hear.

Long on promises and short on delivery.
He's been executive director for just over a year. What exactly were you expecting from McLaren in 2017?
Old 13 Jan 2018, 05:06 (Ref:3792410)   #25
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The more he's in front of a camera or microphone, the more attention being paid to McLaren. Exposure is huge for sponsors. He wants a sponsor. Makes sense, to keep people talking about and interested in the goings-on of McLaren, as it could lead to more camera time during races even if they're mired around 10th. At least attention for something other than dnf's like last couple years. So it makes sense for him to be talking right now as he has apparently stated at some point that sponsorship was a priority.