Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2002, 20:39 (Ref:211889)   #1
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine rule changes planned for 2003

FROM BBC CEEFAX

Plans to limit teams to one engine per car are being considered under radical changes for Formula One Grand Prixs.

Under the proposals, if a driver breaks his engine or was forced to use a spare car he would have to begin from further down the grid, possibly the back.

"Limiting the numbers of engines is one way of cuting down costs but not on the spectacle of Formula One" said FIA President Max Mosely.

The changes could be introduced for 2003 if the majority of teams agree.

I think that this is a very good cost cutting idea, especially at the moment with teams worrying about the future following Prost's demise and the current slowdown in the World economy. And it would spice up the racing if TGF, Montoya, Coulthard etc had to start from the back of the grid for a race!!!!

Now engine suppliers will be searching for even more reliability if this rule is introduced in 2003.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 21:24 (Ref:211961)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at least that's something and... it could provide better racing!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 7 Feb 2002, 21:50 (Ref:211987)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets hope so!!!

However, teams with unreliable engines could be seriously , lets hope they won't stay in the pits until the race or that they actually get to race!!
Old 7 Feb 2002, 22:55 (Ref:212052)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one has been going around in various forms for awhile,but i didn't think they could bring it in next year!It could only be a great thing,despite the aparently contrived way of mixing up the grid.It WOULD reduce costs!!
Old 7 Feb 2002, 23:32 (Ref:212065)   #5
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great - and none of this qualifying engine business - one powerplant and you have to save it - would we see a bit of strategy with people trying not to use the engines in qualifying, or not testing on the track during the Friday sessions though? The spectators mightn't be too pleased.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 00:24 (Ref:212078)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would reduce costs..but why would i be bothered with the finances of the teams? If a team is competitive, they would have the financial means to stay.

But from a racing perspective,I just don't like this idea. Although Ferrari might highly benefit from it as they have a reliable engine, i just think it's silly, because it is just an artificial way of mixing up the grid. So we are supposed to head down the CART way to make racing artificial and controlled? What next? A yellow flag every 10 laps? Any ideas that would directly create and affect the results by authorities are not really favoured unless absolutely neccessary (ie penalties)

From a financial viewpoint, it would only serve to make it harder for poorer teams to keep the gap close to the top guns and a harder struggle for them to survive. Toyota for example would have soooooo much cash, they can very easily exploit all the best materials AND talents AND manufacturing techniques AND R&D AND simulation of engines to make a powerful yet reliable engine, while smaller engine manufacturers like Asiatech have to ensure reliability with less HP.

There's 2 sides to every coin. Whichever authority who proposed this only saw one side. It's the same when they tried to restrict winter testings.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 01:48 (Ref:212098)   #7
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rich teams have the resources to buy reliability.
The poor teams will struggle more if they can't change an engine without going to the back of the grid!!!!
If you are up the back there is no penalty.
The ones that it does hurt are the midfield teams like Jordan and Bar.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 03:00 (Ref:212119)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Furthermore, it is not going to affect everybody by the same amount.

The proposed rule is to cut down F1 TEAM's expenditure, but for teams like Jordan BAR Williams and Mclaren, where engines are not in built but supplied FOC by a works partner, it does not in theory cut down the team's expenditure. It would only further heighten the expenditure of engine manufacturers who now need to develope further resources to produce a powerful YET reliable package, while penalising the team if the engine makers failed to succeed.

As for full teams like Ferrari Renault and Toyota, does Mosley really think that with the new rules, these teams would save significantly more money as they don't have to produce as much engines? They will not, simply because these teams would simply transfer the money saved from the engines (if there is any to be saved in the first place) to expand other costs ie chassis developement.

The only ideal way that such a silly plan to cut costs could practically work is if every team uses the SAME engine and same chassis, that way, there's no R&D and testing costs...but hey, we do not need another CART.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 06:22 (Ref:212155)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't suppose Ralf had anything to do with this engine saving rule?
Old 8 Feb 2002, 08:53 (Ref:212169)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they could have a rev limit to reduce engine expense. Devices are available that can listen to engines from track side and ascertain the revs - so they could enforce the reg that way. Most of the really exotic and non-real-world tuning techniques would not really apply with, say, a 15,000rpm limit (such as ultra light-weight internals, pnuematic valves) - also speeds would be reduced.

On the other hand practically any rule change would have almost no effect on the status quo - quick teams will continue to go quicker.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 12:46 (Ref:212249)   #11
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a **** idea.

They should introduce a top ten shoot out if they want to mix up the grid.

It they want to help teams going broke fix the concorde agreement.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 12:53 (Ref:212252)   #12
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
......It they want to help teams going broke fix the concorde agreement.
I agree
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:00 (Ref:212367)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If things like engine costs are going to go down, do you think we'll see driver's salaries spiral?? I mean these teams are still going to have all this money and they won't be ALLOWED to spend it on their cars....
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:59 (Ref:212398)   #14
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would detract from the spectacle - an engine maker wouldn't be able to try anything revolutionary (like Renault last year and BMW 2 years ago) for fear of unreliability, thus it would make it harder over the course of time for midfield teams to try and catch up to the big guns.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 18:00 (Ref:212418)   #15
RWC
Veteran

Hadn't thought of that!! Yes the would be reluctant to try new designs.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 20:25 (Ref:212560)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
if this goes ahead in '03 then i seriously hope jpm goes to ferrari!! bmw may have one of the best engines, but it is so unrealiable!
Old 9 Feb 2002, 00:05 (Ref:212793)   #17
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I don't suppose Ralf had anything to do with this engine saving rule?
true .But now jpm might finish .lol
Old 9 Feb 2002, 01:15 (Ref:212807)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm...surely there are other better ways to cut costs. Surely a complete new formula for 2005 or something would be better - something like the BTCC did to cut costs could work. I don't know. But I'm not really that keen on this idea.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 05:07 (Ref:212859)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I am just wondering what the rule will stipulate. Will repairs or rebuilds be allowed overnight after practice or quals? What engine parts can be replaced? Can engine management systems be changed? In reality, unless the engines are totally sealed, and the cars locked in parc ferme, the entire engine can be replaced during "repairs", not to mention that the specs can be alterred by changing the engine management system after quals. The rule may sound simple, but its enforcement will become a nightmare. AND I am sure that John Toad and Ross will think of a way to circumvent the rule anyway.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 05:57 (Ref:212863)   #20
RWC
Veteran

Oh dear,this is getting complicated.This is a simple idea from a simple man who doesn't think anything through.How about just forcing the big guys to share with the little guys.people like mercedes and others should have to supply at least two teams...?
Old 9 Feb 2002, 10:58 (Ref:212930)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the way i see it, the first race where 10 cars are missing before the lights have gone out, due to a cars engine blowing up on the friday, the fia will have to drop this stupid rule! rules like this, make the manufacturers break away in '07 or '08 seem all the more possible!
Old 9 Feb 2002, 11:02 (Ref:212931)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its works well in the BTCC. It would work well in F1.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 11:32 (Ref:212954)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
the way i see it, the first race where 10 cars are missing before the lights have gone out, due to a cars engine blowing up on the friday, the fia will have to drop this stupid rule!
That's not what this rule says!

According to this rule, those 10 cars would start from position 15-24. During the last years we've seen that it's perfectly possible to get a podium finish in such a case. So it would be foolish to withdraw your car just because you're not allowed to start from one of the front rows ...
Old 9 Feb 2002, 11:37 (Ref:212957)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
You guys still havn't answered my question: how much "repairs" are permitted overnight before the race? I mean these days, the mechanics could probably "rebuild" the engine overnight.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 11:50 (Ref:212966)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another question about this rule:
In what order will the cars-that-are-using-more-than-one-engine start the race?

If they can start at the back in the order they qualified, I think the cars that have blown an engine on friday would still be using a quallifying engine on saturday.

If they can start at the back in the order they blew their engine, it would become extremely important not to blow an engine on sunday morning.
So the best way to find the correct settings would probably be by doing a lot of testing on those circuits earlyer in the season. This would lead to the richer teams having 4 or five expeienced test drivers, and 2 or 3 separate test teams ...