Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:18 (Ref:656954)   #51
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If these circuits go we could also see the end of our major championships. The British Touring Car Championship, British F3, British GT's, British Superbikes and this new V8 series could all affectively go bust as manufacturers wont invest if the only decent circuit is Donington Park, they will go abroad to advertise. Therefor we are left with just ASCAR. And Lydden is too tight for F3, GT's and the BTCC as well as this new V8 thing probably, same goes with Castle combe after concerns were raised after last years GT meeting, and if they go then all the support championships could go or will move to club level and we are left with nothing....
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:31 (Ref:656974)   #52
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jones Lang LaSalle (or their agents) said:
Quote:
However, the principle value of the business is generated. . .
I would be more impressed if their command of the English language was better.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:59 (Ref:657207)   #53
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know too much about these circuits besides what I see on old BTCC races and from Internet sources, but I know it would be a tragedy if Brands and Oulton Park were left to bulldoze over. I rank them both among the top three circuits in Britain (though I can't decide whether Silverstone or Donington should be the other), and provide a great challenge for drivers, as well as amazing vantage points for spectators.

Snetterton is nothing but a bland track on an old airfield. It's Silverstone without all the millions put into it. Let them sell it off.

Cadwell is too small to be anything but a club circuit, but it's a fine loop nonetheless.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:31 (Ref:657370)   #54
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
Snetterton is nothing but a bland track on an old airfield. Let them sell it off.
Flat it may be but it's still an important circuit. It's the only on in the UK licenced to hold a 24hr race and with so few restrictings it's a regular test venue for a lot of big teams.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 21:35 (Ref:657374)   #55
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton is more fun than Silverstone. Both to drive and definitely to watch.

Cadwell is probably the best drivers circuit in the UK!
Old 10 Jul 2003, 05:37 (Ref:657584)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

I'd take issue with you there John. The International circuit at Silverstone beats Snetterton by miles (or maybe just yards).

But I like Snet purely because of the challenge presented by Coram.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 10:07 (Ref:657716)   #57
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Just pondering about this - building on Oulton? They would have to do so much earth moving to build on it - the pit straight is probably the only level bit - it may not be worth it! Same applies to Brands as well of course.
I'm clutching at straws though...
Old 10 Jul 2003, 14:52 (Ref:657952)   #58
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Hmm,

I'd take issue with you there John. The International circuit at Silverstone beats Snetterton by miles (or maybe just yards).

But I like Snet purely because of the challenge presented by Coram.
I prefer Snetterton to watch at, and it is an awsomme circuit to be taken round in a Vauxhall Vectra Super Tourer doing 150mph along the Rivett straight!
Old 10 Jul 2003, 20:15 (Ref:658215)   #59
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy king
I prefer Snetterton to watch at, and it is an awsomme circuit to be taken round in a Vauxhall Vectra Super Tourer doing 150mph along the Rivett straight!
or a clio 172 or a clio V6 or a porsche
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:17 (Ref:658720)   #60
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be a tragedy to lose any of these circuits. I love Snetterton (even if it is a long way away) as I think it's a lovely circuit. I love Silverstone because it's convenient and I think it does have a lot of character.

I can't comment on Brands, Oulton or Cadwell - all I've seen of them (so far) is what I've seen on the television. But all 3 look great circuits.

I just don't understand why people are so keen to destroy our heritage; is it yet another attempt to become "modern"? Why? They provide ample employment and enjoyment and it galls me to see the likes of property developers coming in and building claustrophobic housing estates over it!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:28 (Ref:658732)   #61
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's not an atempt to become 'modern'; it's an attempt to make money.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:34 (Ref:658739)   #62
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that I love motor racing but if I had a choice of hurting that love badly and being involved in a property deal or not, what do you think i might choose?

Hint £££s
Old 11 Jul 2003, 13:13 (Ref:658776)   #63
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
And unfortunately there are a lot of greedy people in this sport who wouldn't think twice about selling the heritage of our sport out from underneath it - some of these people have been involved in similar deals elsewhere, if they could raise the money, would likely jump at the chance to do the same again.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 13:17 (Ref:658778)   #64
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By "modern" I meant that the past is being wiped out in favour of new things. Yes, money is involved - a lot of it - but I just think it's a shame that things are being removed because developers have got the money to do so. Very little is being done to prevent things like this from happening; sadly, motorsport doesn't get the same sort of support as a football team under threat would. The reason being that motorsport is seen as being very rich and can afford to look after itself. Sadly, at grass-roots level, it can't.

Why can't these circuits be brought "for the nation"? Heck: the government managed it with Winston Churchill's papers and a statue of the Three Graces. Motor racing involves many people in many ways in the UK yet it's being eradicated in favour of a few thousand houses and yet more supermarkets. That's what I find sad.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 15:29 (Ref:658893)   #65
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Britain makes one hek of a lot of money out of motor sport. And the amount of businesses around the area that are involved, not just Van Diemen etc. but the littler ones, racing gearboxes etc. all the littler companies.....
Old 14 Jul 2003, 08:52 (Ref:660516)   #66
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
housing on brands???

this post is probably a little ill placed, and if any one can think of a better place to put please feel free to move it!!

has anyone else heard of the rumours to build a housing estate over brands hatch circuit?? jb handed me a newspaper this morning with an article on it, and well no they cant do that can they??

im sorry but its just wrong, that circuit is like a second home to me and not to mention its a big part of motorsport history!!! i mean can you imagine what are they gonna do, will they have like dingle dell road and stuf like that?

does anybody know any more on this orhave any views
Old 14 Jul 2003, 10:11 (Ref:660569)   #67
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's not a new threat. I doubt if it'll happen though, I can think of quite a few people on here that'd probably do a sit in at the Kentagon.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 10:12 (Ref:660570)   #68
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard rumours along thse lines 3 or 4 times since i joined 10/10ths 7 and a 1/2 months ago. They're not really going away either. I don't see why they should build there, and it would be total sacriledge to do so, but you never know, and it wouldn't be the only track it's happened to.
I hope they don't. That's the track that started it all off for me, 13 years ago. I'd be gutted if they built a grotty housing estate on it.

I do wonder one thing though. If 2 years ago, they couldn't get planning permission to tear down the trees to build the new GP loop, then why would they get planning permission for houses? Apparently there are rare wild toads living in those woods. At the time of the new GP loops, F1 coming back etc i would have said stuff the damn toads, but maybe it's time to make them our bestest friends... That way the housing people can't have their way either..
Old 14 Jul 2003, 11:30 (Ref:660631)   #69
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been rumours about turning Brands into a housing estate for years. Seeing as 80% of the country's population seems to want to live within 30 miles or so of London village (can't imagine why ) I'm guessing planning permission for housing could be, ahem, pushed through a little easier than the new GP loop.

Let's be honest it's unlikely, but let's be even more honest - it's alot more likely than another F1 GP ever taking place there.

Yet more rumours were flying round at Oulton yesterday. Octagon's parent company are getting itchy about the fact Octagon don't actually make any money, and one possible upshot may be that Octagon sell Oulton. Apparently a local consortium are ready to jump in.

There have even been rumours about turning Oulton into a housing estate, but I think we can rule that out - it's greenbelt and I can't imagine the good people of Great and Little Budworth being happy with turning it into a Warrington/Northwich overspill...
Old 14 Jul 2003, 11:35 (Ref:660635)   #70
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the way, garagegirl's probably right - this would probably be better placed elsewhere. Not sure where though - Trackside?
Old 14 Jul 2003, 11:36 (Ref:660636)   #71
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think ive seen that paper garage girl......i hope it never happens ...I love that place !
Old 14 Jul 2003, 12:08 (Ref:660658)   #72
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the ex-octagon circuit are up for sale...
For £70 million you could some yourself. I was reading that the agents had over 50 enquires and only a handfull wanted to keep it as a race circuit.

Owning a race circuit is not going to make a profit, but to bulldoze it and build a housing estate and then sell them for £250,000 each will. Let us not forget it has nothing to to with how nice or historic the area is. it's how much the land is worth.

All I can hope is that the promise of 1000 of homes and jobs to the respective ex-octagon circuits don't tempt the local councils to give planning permission.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 12:15 (Ref:660661)   #73
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so we're looking at F3 GT's and Touring Cars back at Mallory are we? cooooool
seriously though, even though it could probably be too late, it's up to everybody here to do there bit and get people through the gates to watch racing..take a friend or family members..thats the only real way motorsport can survive into the 21st century...when push comes to shove if not enough people go watch there really is no future
Old 14 Jul 2003, 12:19 (Ref:660663)   #74
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose this season will also be the last for the Octagon Pass too..bummer
Old 14 Jul 2003, 13:27 (Ref:660730)   #75
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it should be a listed circuit, like listed buildings!