Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Jul 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1044478)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll merge this with the existing Classic thread.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 11:56 (Ref:1044482)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just to say I hope everyone who is going has a great time. I'm really envious......
Old 23 Jul 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1044525)   #28
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cor Schumacher is in a 914!

Saw 2 Listers at Goodwood on tuesday I assume they where being prep'ed for the classic, great cars, full of energy.

Great entry, wish I could be there. Judging by all the classics heading towards the ports on the motorways of southern England, alot of people are making there way there.

I make great efforts to make it in 2006, just don'nt tell the wife.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1044655)   #29
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see any sign of live TV coverage anywhere - I wonder if there will be a commercially available video made of the event ?
Old 23 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1044914)   #30
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Classic Radio Le Mans can be found via this link:- http://www.autosport.com/classicrlm/home/index.asp it does not seem to be on air at present though.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1044993)   #31
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just arrived. Now all I need is some tickets!

FG
Old 24 Jul 2004, 09:06 (Ref:1045477)   #32
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
hooked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a great time. Hope to see some of you at LMES Silverstone, maybe the LM atmosphere can be recreated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 06:51 (Ref:1047344)   #33
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
First of all, I have to apologize : after one whole week in the car (and a cabriolet Porsche is not so confortable, believe me), and more than 10 passes in the Swizerland Alpen, I was quite exhausted for the Classic. Having now internet connection, and with my cel phone out of energy, i just was able to count on chance to meet members (that's what happened at the end with FG1 and PascaLM).

Here is my great memory of this wonderful event : the time warp !

I was there in 1978, and see the dice rolling again between the Renault and the Porsche was amazing and very moving too...

-

Last edited by Fab; 16 Jun 2009 at 17:30.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1047383)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Too nice! Worth being there just for that, I'd say!!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:10 (Ref:1047455)   #35
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very enjoyable event, though the GT40s and Ferrari 512s were my favourite, and the GT40s were really going some too!

It was also great wandering around the infield to see all the beautifully prepared cars brought by punters. I don't think I've ever seen so many replica GT40s in one place, about 25 I think. Great!

Lots of E types and XK120-150s too. Lots of everything. Just as good value and entertaining as what was on the track IMHO.

Only one thing missing, the Group C stuff. I hope that will be there next time.

FG
Old 26 Jul 2004, 17:00 (Ref:1047953)   #36
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful week-end ! This show was greater than a "transition" 24 hours race. And there were races all night long !
Hearing the echos of the 1923/1938 cars in the night was magic.

Some laps :
Ford GT40 : 4'38", 4'49"
Alpine-Renault A 443 : 4'20"

There were also many clubs meetings around the village : Porsche, Ferrari of course and Iso, Lamborghini, Matra, Alpine, Morgan, Ford, Panhard, Facel-Vega...
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:30 (Ref:1048430)   #37
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Another outstanding lap time : 4'18 for the Ligier, during the first race at night ! Too bad that the engine failed in the second race...
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:58 (Ref:1048443)   #38
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
More pics of the 1972/1978 period from Infocourse... and news : the attendance was 66% up to the 2002 one : more than 50 000 people on the circuit ! Almost the same attendance as the french F1 GP ! I just can't believe it... the event becomes one of the most popular race event in France. Bravo to Patrick Peter and ACO, and thank you for making it real !
Old 27 Jul 2004, 07:25 (Ref:1048460)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Attendance up eh? Unfortunately that means I guess that the ACO will stick with the July (instead of September) slot for 2006 I suppose......
Old 27 Jul 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1048837)   #40
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I think so ; the night was significantly shorter than in september ; the last field started at pitch black, though...
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1048841)   #41
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appreciate that this may be an inappropriate question in this thread but, does anybody have any information regarding the condition of Neil Hadfield? He crashed heavily during Race 2 and nobody I've spoken to (and no websites either) has been able to supply an update on his condition.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1048873)   #42
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, the festival made us forgetting this sad accident. We know his car went on fire.
Fab, any news in Ouest-France or anywhere else ?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1048891)   #43
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a quick clarification - despite what came over the loudspeakers at the time, I've just been informed it was Neil Hadfield who had the accident, not Simon. As everyone I tried to get news from over the weekend had assumed Hadfield S, it only goes to show that the trackside communication provided could have been much better.

The weekend was - problematic - to say the least for our party, with one car hors de combat on the A16 Calais-Rouen on Thursday, and the heat was very oppressive. The Porsche 917 no-show was a disappointment as was seeing the Alfa Tipo 33 come in on a wrecker after a 911 dropped a sumpful of oil opposite the pit exit in practice. That and the ongoing anxiety about the C-Type accident made for a frustrating weekend.

On the other hand, the night racing as viewed from Arnage and Indianapolis was sublime as always. The BMW 328 and Alta made a fantastic dice of it until the British car expired in a cloud of smoke in front of us. Watching the Alpine A443 and the Porsche 936 dicing was like a dream come true, and the sight of the big 1950 Cadillac hustling round the circuit was breathtaking.

Huge apologies to Fab and Gilles for not catching up - especially Gilles, whose phone number I left on my desk. I found it when I got back this morning!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1049005)   #44
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can confirm that it was Neil Hadfield involved in the accident. It occured on lap two of Grid 2, Race one, between the chicanes on the Mulsanne. Apparently, a bonnet came off one of the cars in the pack (allegedly an Allard) and Neil swerved to avoid it. He would have been doing about 150mph at the time. An almighty tankslapper ensued, the car hit the barrier on the right and then was launched into a roll, causing severe damage and a flash fire. Guy Broad was first on the scene and he put the fire out. Neil has multiple injuries; I am told they consist of a shattered arm, which was repaired during seven hours of surgery on Saturday, both collarbones broken, broken ribs and facial burns. This was a big, big shunt. There were some nasty things being said in the paddock about the response time of the marshals, but as I passed the scene under the safety car, they seemed to be on top of the situation, with several medical teams and fire crews present. My very best wishes to Neil; get well soon, mate.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1049051)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hey - long time no speak Mr. 18! How're you doing? Were you racing at the weekend? Was Mr. N. there with a party this year?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1049052)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sorry, I should have read your full post first........
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1049073)   #47
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ayse!

That's ok; it was sad to see what happened to Neil, but that's racing for you. You know what it says on the back of the ticket...

Yes we were racing. Can you come along next time and bring us some luck, please? I qualified the 'D' in 5th, and we finished 7th in plateau 2 race 1 under the safety car. There was much debate as to had taken their mandatory stop and who hadn't. We had, and we reckoned that we should have been credited with first, not 7th place. Not that that would have meant anything, as I did the whole of my stint under the safety car.

I did the night stint. I managed nearly one lap, when the lights went out just before the Ford chicane. I'd gone past the pits when I realised that it wasn't me knocking the switch, they really had failed. I staggered around, well off the racing line, got back to the pits and retired. In race 3 I started, and pitted from 5th. Peter then had the suspension collapse at the second chicane on the last lap.

Magic event; chaotic organisation, but just fantastic to be there again.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1049085)   #48
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the information the18racer. I've been worried since the accident occured.

It was a very nice weekend. I may have some pictures of you taken at the start of your first race; will have to look when I get them developed.

Oh, and Get Well Soon Neil Hadfield!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1049100)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Great to hear from you Mr. 18. I only wish I could have been there this time. Did you stay in the same places as 02?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1049106)   #50
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the Griffiths/Neumark D Type coming through Indianapolis with no lights at 1.30am, and wondered if I'd see it come round again. Bad luck - hope you get another crack at it next time.

Dreadful as the news about Neil Hadfield is, it's not the worst that I was fearing so I shall add my voice to those wishing Neil the swiftest of recovery.