Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Oct 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1115853)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Classes at Le Mans

As I was shaving this morning, I pondered, as is my wont, the state of sportscar racing. My mind strayed, for reasons unknown, to the ACO's selection procedure for this year's Le Mans. It occurred to me then that they - and, as fans, we - perhaps face a near-intractable problem.

50 cars will compete at Le Mans next year, I believe. I think it should be higher (both Sebring and Daytona can accommodate more), but there seems little chance of that happening in the near future. Is it then the case, I wondered, that we have too many classes? After all, with LMP1, LMP2, GTS and GT, you're looking at about a dozen cars per class, which really isn't many at all. But what's to be done? LMP2 can't be canned, as Courage and Lola are building new cars for the 2004 regulations. LMP1 is safe as the ACO (rightly, in my view) has stated that there must be a premier prototype class, to provide a home not only for the big motor manufacturers but also for independent chassis builders like Courage, Dome and Dallara.

GT (then GT3) was created in 1999, at least in part, because of falling numbers in other classes. With Porsche building the 911 GT3-R as an affordable turnkey racer for the class, it took off and is now massively popular; the problem being, of course, that a solution to a temporary difficulty can't now be undone. So what does one do?

I don't have a definitive answer, but how about this: gradually merge the prototypes and the newer GTS cars (Maserati, Aston Martin etc.) into something like the old GT1, allowing, of course, for spyders and coupes to compete on a reasonably level footing. It would mean, of course, relaxing a lot of the homologation requirements for ex-GTS cars, but with complaints that the Maserati MC12 is a purpose-built racer anyway, so what?

Leave LMP2 alone (no choice, really; you can't stab Courage and Lola in the back by canning it).

Then merge the slower GTS cars and the GT cars; again, this would mean changing homologation procedures, and I'm not sure how best it could be done, but I'm sure great minds would find a solution.

Well, thoughts?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1115903)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure how this actually changes anything? If we're talking about merging classes of existing cars, all you get is a regrouping and one fewer "class win"?

I think the real solution is 10-15 more pit boxes. Unfortunately, without moving the Ford chicanes, I don't see how this can be accomplished.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1115911)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How do they work the pit lane space for the Nurburgring 24hrs with its 200+ car entry?
Old 5 Oct 2004, 15:11 (Ref:1116016)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think there's a lot of sharing.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1116041)   #5
pounetbf
Racer

pounetbf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the good old time, there was 55 boxes and 55 cars. It is not possible to add boxes on the Ford chicane side, due to the "tower", But there is huge work in progress or schduled and some more boxes will be addedon the Dunlop curve side (the "top" side) This side is limited by the "Welcome", but this is now one of the oldest buildings and the demolition is schduled. It will take a few years, but I think 55 cars is still the scope.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1116095)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
I think there's a lot of sharing.
Yes, a lott sharing (which makes it not safe)

IMO the current classes are ok, but more cars are welcom.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1116101)   #7
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was a plan announced by the ACO earlier this year that involved the revamping of the pit garages and adding new space to allow for 60 competitors by either 2006 or 2007, cant remember which one