Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1643767)   #76
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
So here you are "slippy diff" in New Zealand. Nothing to do with the great Train Robbery or the Schiphol Diamond robbery ?, great pseudonym!!!!
Can remember we were pit-neighbours when I ran a white MGB in the six hours. Your blue car did the 6h as well. I bought my big B and a while later saw yours for sale rataionaly I thought to have bought the wrong car. But what rational about a big Healey!!!!!!!
Yep, did the 6 Hour most years and got some good results. I sold the car to Robert Mills shortly before I moved to NZ. It was built from the ground up by Denis Welch and was a stunning car, it would have been a good move to buy it !!
Old 28 Jun 2006, 22:01 (Ref:1643781)   #77
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Don't remind me of those races. Just got father second time and no Healey racing then . Wasn't it very wet then ? which would have been my game as well.
I loved the wet, sorted the men from the boys....
Old 29 Jun 2006, 07:12 (Ref:1643912)   #78
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Yep, did the 6 Hour most years and got some good results. I sold the car to Robert Mills shortly before I moved to NZ. It was built from the ground up by Denis Welch and was a stunning car, it would have been a good move to buy it !!
Whats the substitute in New Zealand for six hours and Healey racing?
Old 29 Jun 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1644476)   #79
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Whats the substitute in New Zealand for six hours and Healey racing?
I work for a motorcycle mag. I've ridden probably 40 to 50 different bikes in the last two years, everything from R1's to 50cc Vespas to BMW HP2's.

It's not so bad.....

There's no real substitute for a race such as the 6 hours although there is a reasonably healthy club racing scene.
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1644479)   #80
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
I work for a motorcycle mag. I've ridden probably 40 to 50 different bikes in the last two years, everything from R1's to 50cc Vespas to BMW HP2's.

It's not so bad.....

There's no real substitute for a race such as the 6 hours although there is a reasonably healthy club racing scene.

upon that the most beautifull country in the world, not a bad choice!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1644494)   #81
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
We used to love preparing for the 6 Hours each year. It was a great weekend of racing, even with the 'issues' of certain other cars entered. Alain could run it strictly to FIA Appendix K and still get 80 entries if marketed correctly. It could be the premier historic race in Europe with a bit of work.
If someone offered to fly me over for this years race, I wouldn't hesitate. Spa ranks right up there alongside, Brands GP circuit, Nordschleife and Oulton Park.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1644691)   #82
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
We used to love preparing for the 6 Hours each year. It was a great weekend of racing, even with the 'issues' of certain other cars entered. Alain could run it strictly to FIA Appendix K and still get 80 entries if marketed correctly. It could be the premier historic race in Europe with a bit of work.
If someone offered to fly me over for this years race, I wouldn't hesitate. Spa ranks right up there alongside, Brands GP circuit, Nordschleife and Oulton Park.
I agree with all of that, the SPa 6 hour race and indeed whole weekend meeting hour could, and should, blow everything else into the weeds
Old 30 Jun 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1644696)   #83
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that the Spa 6 Hour race is now back on track - the latest email from them confirms no invitation race (apart from Eau Rouge Cup) and that only has a handful of cars in it
sadly no sportsracers which is a great shame
maybe someone else should get a 6 hour race up for them
Old 30 Jun 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1644801)   #84
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think tin tops and GT's is far more reflective of period races so I'm all for it

(sorry Simon!)

at least until I win the lottery and move up a peg or two on the racecar ladder

6 hours of Brand Hatch gets my vote as an alternative, I'd be there in a shot
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1645343)   #85
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I think tin tops and GT's is far more reflective of period races so I'm all for it

(sorry Simon!)

at least until I win the lottery and move up a peg or two on the racecar ladder

6 hours of Brand Hatch gets my vote as an alternative, I'd be there in a shot
He'll have great weekend in the Cortina, period.
Esper
Old 1 Jul 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1645905)   #86
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
we are giving the Lotus Cortina a pre Spa shake down at Snetteron next weekend in teh MST Appendix K race and then again at Silverstone Classic. Then it will have the larger tank etc fitted - the Touring Car class is mostly Mustangs and Alfa GTA's we are the only L-C entered - not sure why the others have stayed away as they were competitive in period
Old 2 Jul 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1646837)   #87
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
sadly no sportsracers which is a great shame
I'm sure that when I did my first Spa 6 Hours it was for GT and Touring only? Then, the GT40 started appearing (GT/P) and went pot hunting.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1646841)   #88
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
as they were competitive in period
Aha!! 'in period'. I remember one year at the 6 Hours watching one car being scrutineered - we were in the queue behind - and being picked up for running roller rockers. An argument ensued during which the scrutineer said something along the lines of "do you think we run this race just for your benefit and pleasure?" the response... "I have four other cars entered here, I can always take them home". The discussion continued in an office somewhere and we all thought, great, their being thorough for once. Said car went on to win the race....
Old 3 Jul 2006, 07:18 (Ref:1647036)   #89
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Aha!! 'in period'. I remember one year at the 6 Hours watching one car being scrutineered - we were in the queue behind - and being picked up for running roller rockers. An argument ensued during which the scrutineer said something along the lines of "do you think we run this race just for your benefit and pleasure?" the response... "I have four other cars entered here, I can always take them home". The discussion continued in an office somewhere and we all thought, great, their being thorough for once. Said car went on to win the race....
Stopped his BRDC membership if you are referring to a former Chemist!
Old 3 Jul 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1647079)   #90
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
it seems most of these events, 6 hour particularly, start as a good craic for all with a genuine competitive edge, then over a period of time it gets warped and distorted by the money bags glory hunters, then gets put in check (like this year ? ) and so on.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1647089)   #91
simon drabble
Veteran

in terms of the sports racers etc they did run against GT and Touring in period so its not that unusual, but if they are excluded why doesnt someone like Carol Spagg, Julius or WSM take up the mantle and do a 6 Hour for SRC. I know VdeV do it but their catchment is pretty wide and with modern Crossle's etc running as well it doesnt have quite the same feel
Old 3 Jul 2006, 08:38 (Ref:1647099)   #92
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Is that not the problem Simon? theres a limited number of racers in pukka cars ? so the lowest common denominator makes way, most of those owners have an alternative ( ie the LC in your case ) and theres more GT's and tin tops out there so a full grid is virtually guaranteed. which makes money and thats what it seems to be all about . . . .
Old 3 Jul 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1647104)   #93
simon drabble
Veteran

at somewhere like Spa where you can start 70+ cars there is room for both - I know out of choice I would prefer to be racing my Merlyn in the 6 Hour as its more competitive to the overall placings, the L-C hopefully will be competitive in the Touring Car Cup
Old 3 Jul 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1647148)   #94
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
fair point, Spa is a long lap so a bigger grid spreads out, although its interesting that the tin top quantity dwindled as more SRC's came out, the speed differentials can be quite considerable, but as long as we avoid some of the pitfall as in earlier posts it should be ok !
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1647577)   #95
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Stopped his BRDC membership if you are referring to a former Chemist!
Must have been a bitter pill to swallow.....
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1647741)   #96
simon drabble
Veteran

having his objection overruled by FIA was as that led to the BRDC blackball!!! Hardly seen him on the historic seen since altho I gather he is active in other series
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:16 (Ref:1647748)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting. That would have been 2003?

Shame because he has some fine cars. He's also still got a pair of my old gauntlets that I loaned him when testing one day!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1647751)   #98
simon drabble
Veteran

If that is the year that a GT40 won then didnt win yes! Rather annoyingly that year they were given nice watches for winning and he kept his rather than giving it to a mate of mine who came second in a Cobra - my friend who was a hired driver rather than owner is still complaining about it now!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1648308)   #99
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
all those gossips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!its to much thinking for a dutch outsider, i onl have guesses
Old 4 Jul 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1648340)   #100
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
all those gossips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!its to much thinking for a dutch outsider, i onl have guesses
In a nut shell. Arrogant person makes a rather large pile. Arrogant person buys very nice historic race cars and goes racing. Arrogant person thinks all should bow before him and thinks nothing of cheating. Arrogant person is caught at 6 Hour race and spits the dummy. FIA reject Arrogant Person's appeal and arrogant person now throws his toys out of the pram. The BRDC (to their eternal credit) blackball Arrogant Person.

Of course, all this only allegedly happened....
Closed Thread