Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Mar 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3621222)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Revett Straight Cup (The REVSTRAT!) - Snet, 22nd September, 2018

Right folks, this is an absolute indulgence on my part but since Claire had no support race in place for her 6 hours, I've persuaded her to allow me to run a 30 minute single driver race, with 15 mins qualifying on the morning of the big race, on the 300 Circuit.

It's by specific invitation from me for closed fastback/GT cars built between 1950 -1965 to be held on the Snetterton 300 circuit, in memory of the historic name of the currently named Bentley Straight and as an homage to the sloping roof!! I suggest it would also be a suitable opportunity for a summer Ace Café type meeting given that a lot of 10-Tenthers have suitable cars. I'm listing below the sort of cars I'm going for:-

Aston Martin DB2 & 2/4, AC Aceca, Alfa Guilietta GT, Austin Healey Sebring/Lenham/WSM Sprites, ELVA Courier GT, Gilbern GT, Lancia Aurelia, Peerless/Warwick GT, Porsche 356, Reliant Sabre 6 GT, Rochdale Olympic & GT, Sunbeam Alpine Harrington, Tornado Talisman, Triumph Spitfire Lenham, TVR Grantura (early ones), WSM MGB GT.

Edit - Capacity Limits pre 1962 - 3.5 litre, post 1962 - 2.7 litre. (added following some later posts!! - sorry!)

Nothing too modified and cars should be shod with Dunlop L or M tyres

You will note that I've not included Marcos 1800 or later 1800cc TVRs because these will almost certainly be too quick but if you have a car not listed here but you think is suitable (it must have a proper fastback, though) please contact me, with full spec, and I will go in a huddle with a couple of colleagues to decide whether it is indeed suitable. I will create classes dependent on the entries.

The cost will be £275 which I suggest is extremely good value for 45 minutes track time, these days.

I did sound Mike Bell, Brian Arculus and Joe A-B (Zef) out prior to this and all seemed more than a little interested, and they can consider themselves invited already. I will now proceed to send invites out over the next couple of weeks so I crave your patience to allow me that time frame before contacting me asking why you've not been invited. Thereafter if you haven't heard please PM me.

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Mar 2016 at 07:14.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3621231)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go on, you know it makes sense.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3621264)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Barring act of God, Gilbert and me will be there. Excellent opportunity to shakedown for Spa 6hrs!

Old 8 Mar 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3621269)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fastback Mustang?
Old 8 Mar 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3621273)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's also the E type as well!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3621275)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think John has an engine capacity limit that excludes either of them!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3621314)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
There's also the E type as well!
"I think John has an engine capacity limit that excludes either of them! "

A 3.8L limit would exclude most E-types but not all.

Miaow
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:02 (Ref:3621278)   #8
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm planning on being there with a certain white "sloping back" from Italy.........

I am due to be at Snett the preceding day with the Elite, so my biggest issue is whether to dash home to change cars or get someone else to transport one of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1435143316757.jpg (128.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:16 (Ref:3621281)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I'm planning on being there with a certain white "sloping back" from Italy.........
Excellent!

Quote:
I am due to be at Snett the preceding day with the Elite, so my biggest issue is whether to dash home to change cars or get someone else to transport one of them.
Maybe should have kept the double trailer.....
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:24 (Ref:3621287)   #10
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Excellent!

Maybe should have kept the double trailer.....

It has been suggested.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3621288)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It has been suggested.
I bet.....
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3621323)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Surely the Elite has a sloping back anyway. Could you just run it both days if that would solve the immediate transportation problem?
Old 9 Mar 2016, 07:11 (Ref:3621440)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew there was something I missed out. Apologies folks, but I should have said that I had placed a capacity limit of 3.5 litres pre 1962 and 2.7 litres post 1962, so that would exclude Mustang fastback and E type. They have plenty of races elsewhere. I'm trying to give the 'littler' guys a chance; those that don't come out so often. I'll edit my first post to show capacity limits. The reason I have it as high as 3.5 is to see if I can get Celia or Ian to bring the Warwick GT out which I haven't seen for ages, so if anyone has their email addresses, please PM me.

The Elite is not a Fastback in my view, as the roof line does not slope back to the tail; more of a coupe really. Brian's Alfa is much more appropriate than the Elite in terms of looks and performance, however pretty the Elite also is. If we don't get quite enough entries, I'm more likely to look at few of the rarer open sports cars like Rob Cobden's Fairthorpe. I'm going for a certain genre and look here.

It is not my intention to upset anybody. I like all the cars I've mentioned above but excluded, as I'm sure you all know, but a lot of this is also around performance or at least perceived performance and you TVR 1800/Marcos 1800 guys do have a lot of competitive racing available to you.

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Mar 2016 at 07:16.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 9 Mar 2016, 07:19 (Ref:3621442)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
1950s 2.9litre Astons and 2.6litre ACs with (assume) drum brakes versus early 60s smaller cars with better brakes and handling sounds a good mix to me.

John, Celia used to post on the Peerless Warwick forum, so maybe a chance to contact via that. Also, they raced with CSCC at some point, so maybe the club would have contact info.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 9 Mar 2016 at 07:26.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3621488)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John you have a PM from PM.

Celia is one of my LinkedIn connections.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3621491)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I will ask Simon if I can borrow the TT . . .mine is currently having a cage made . . . the likelihood of it being built in time is extremely slim.

Celia should come and play with the Peerless, I'll drop her a line.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 11:52 (Ref:3621522)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, the Peerless would be even better.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3621536)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Yes, the Peerless would be even better.
Yeah, I know but I like the Warwick too. Maybe we could get both, and I could stick the Warwick at the back on a 30 second penalty or something if you think it too quick. As I said this is my indulgence
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3621540)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yeah, I know but I like the Warwick too. Maybe we could get both, and I could stick the Warwick at the back on a 30 second penalty or something if you think it too quick. As I said this is my indulgence
As you say, John, your indulgence!

I guess only the later ACs used the Zephyr engine, or could it had with either?
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:48 (Ref:3621544)   #20
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Quote:
As you say, John, your indulgence!

I guess only the later ACs used the Zephyr engine, or could it had with either?

The original AC engined Acecas had Alfin drums all round, but from 1957, the Bristol engined cars had the optional disc brake set up. I suspect that most would have been specified with these.

The final eight Acecas had the 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr engine (4 LHD/4 RHD) with the Mays head as the supply of Bristol engines had dried up.

And before you ask, my own Aceca-Bristol is intended as a road car only and won't be finished until much later in the year.....you'll have to make do with the Giulietta SVZ.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3621532)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks for all the kind word and support, and also the PMs and emails I'm getting. If this translates into a decent number of entries, then this will be a delightful grid.

Mike, I think most Aceca's had discs on the front and the 2 litre Bristol engine. Just a few had the Ford 2.6 lump, an engine it shared with the Sabre 6 GT. Need to invite Mr Drabble and also John Lesley if I can trace him.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3621547)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Just a few had the Zephyr engine and I think that they used it when Bristol stopped making their engine.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3621553)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Warwick is about the same pace as my Cortina, which is about the same pace as Brians Elite . . . . depending on weather/driver etc . . . . .
Old 9 Mar 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3621558)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Noted Joe, thanks. I seem to remember your Cortina v Warwick battle at this very track some years back.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3621582)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Well if Simon wants to drive his own TT you'll have to let me bring the Cortina and we can resume that battle!