Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jan 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3605873)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood 74th Member's Meeting

Third (modern era) running of this event. A mini revival.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:38 (Ref:3615168)   #2
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone have any information on the 74th MM or is it a closely guarded secret?
I was looking for a timetable/entry list.
Ok, found a timetable on GRRC web site, no entry list anywhere.

Last edited by justracing; 16 Feb 2016 at 17:47.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3615177)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Anyone have any information on the 74th MM or is it a closely guarded secret?
I was looking for a timetable/entry list.
Ok, found a timetable on GRRC web site, no entry list anywhere.
At this stage any entry lists will likely only be known by Goodwood and perhaps the entrants for the particular races.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3615194)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
At this stage any entry lists will likely only be known by Goodwood and perhaps the entrants for the particular races.
As I thought, a closely guarded secret, I haven't got the right tie in my wardrobe
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3615195)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
As I thought, a closely guarded secret, I haven't got the right tie in my wardrobe
To be fair, it's not The Revival. (Sorry if that's stating the obvious!) It's closer to being a normal historic race meeting from the competitors point of view, and I don't thing many of the big series organisers would have published entry lists yet- there's likely still some juggling going on.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3615652)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not entirely sure why an entry list is important for this one. It's more about the cars surely? My badges arrived yesterday and we'll be sent the entry lists later by e mail.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 08:48 (Ref:3615669)   #7
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not entirely sure why an entry list is important for this one. It's more about the cars surely?
In which case you could apply the same logic to any classic/historic race meeting and nobody would know anything about the race entries/car details/numbers or race positions. I agree it's more about the spectacle but it's more beneficial to have a printed entry list at least from the spectators point of view
Old 18 Feb 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3615688)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Surely that comes with the programme?
Old 19 Feb 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3616134)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So you find out the entry for Le Mans Classic today!
That's in July.
Goodwood doesn't publish its list.

It's amazing the way the two best organisations in historic Motorsport have different approaches.

Pleased PM is backing the establishment!

Just like the old days on here!
Old 19 Feb 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3616137)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not backing anything John. Just expressing an opinion. Like you.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 22:44 (Ref:3616146)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not an opinion just pointing out the difference between the two best operations in Historic Racing.

Neither need protecting !
Old 20 Feb 2016, 06:39 (Ref:3616201)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We appear to be in Violent agreement. My position is simply that I don't see what difference an entry list makes whether posted early or at the time of the event. So I asked why it made a difference.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 07:29 (Ref:3616204)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It costs lots of dosh to be a spectator and I would have thought it's only reasonable to think that people know what they are paying to watch before the event!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 07:40 (Ref:3616206)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Really! It's not something I've ever considered!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 08:11 (Ref:3616208)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It costs lots of dosh to be a spectator and I would have thought it's only reasonable to think that people know what they are paying to watch before the event!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 08:14 (Ref:3616209)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JR has hit the nail on the head Peter. I've travelled hundreds of miles in the past to watch historic events where the organisers don't publish lists in advance (Masters anyone?) only to find poor grids. Very frustrating to say the least. At least HSCC publish at least a week, normally more, in advance.

Not really an issue for the Members Meeting where good grids are almost guaranteed. But even then Goodwood keep sending non-members like me emails encouraging us to attend but don't bother to inform what will be there. As said, maybe not an issue for this event.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 11:54 (Ref:3616239)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't you start!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 11:59 (Ref:3616240)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
All points are understood. But the corollary is that events like Goodwood or Le Mans Classic etc. are known quantities as Gary points out.

Agreed re Some events but ultimately, unless you really wanted to see that one-off Scaglietti multi-porto V10 that only ever raced once and blew up, why not just turn up and enjoy? Even when the grids are a bit light, there's always people to talk to, cars to admire or critique etc. So, for me I don't think advance notice is necessary. By the way, I believe Jim Clark once knew someone who's sister sat in that Scaglietti.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3616246)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
But even then Goodwood keep sending non-members like me emails encouraging us to attend but don't bother to inform what will be there. As said, maybe not an issue for this event.
Well you must've got the one this morning stating that Mika Hakkinen will be there, that's exciting isn't it
Old 20 Feb 2016, 12:56 (Ref:3616251)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
They don't give a hoot about the fact that Peter or Tim or anyone from club racing is driving. It's all about the Celebs and the show.....

Whereas Monaco and Le Mans Classic are all about the cars!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3616253)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
All points are understood. But the corollary is that events like Goodwood or Le Mans Classic etc. are known quantities as Gary points out.

Agreed re Some events but ultimately, unless you really wanted to see that one-off Scaglietti multi-porto V10 that only ever raced once and blew up, why not just turn up and enjoy? Even when the grids are a bit light, there's always people to talk to, cars to admire or critique etc. So, for me I don't think advance notice is necessary. By the way, I believe Jim Clark once knew someone who's sister sat in that Scaglietti.
In recent times I have come to the conclusion that it is frequently disappointing to base a decision about attendance at a race meeting based on the alleged entries. (Assuming one is paying for entry and/or travelling more than around 50 miles for the round trip.)

It's different if it is a social event should some of the races prove a little light of numbers.

There are certain meetings when you just know that the hardworked machinery (stuff that these days probably covers more track miles per annum than ever it did during its entire original racing career) may be on the entry list but is not guaranteed to turn up.

Even in the car is ready the driver may decide to go and do something else - or find the budget has evaporated.

Most of the Groups C races that fell outside the "big meetings" in recent years had quality but lacked quantity. I learned to look at the lists and discount the appearance of anything entered from outside Europe, notably North America.

I'm not criticising. Some of the things we like to watch will cost a fortune to prepare without a wheel turned.

And the early season may also run the risk that entries have to be pulled at the last minute when winter projects miss their completion targets.

I could rehearse all of the arguments we have seen so often but in the end what difference does entry list make?

If you have not seen one you have to guess when might be there from the races listed and the nature of the event (A Goodwood event probably scores better than most on both.) If the grids turn out to be disappointing it's bad luck.

If you have seen an entry list and it does not really reflect what makes it to the grid it may be doubly disappointing bordering on misleading. However a meeting with a good reputation is still likely to be generally satisfying and there is always the possibility that a few last minute entries, not on the published list, will add to the interest.

It's a bit like going to a restaurant really. You can never be quite sure that is will be a totally satisfying experience that offers value for money (as you experience it) until you leave. The published menu tells you little about the overall experience.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3616265)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think we've strayed off topic but nonetheless, whilst it's good to know what's entered, how much in advance do you need to know and then when you do know, are there any tickets available anyway?
Old 20 Feb 2016, 15:04 (Ref:3616269)   #23
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Peter. Great event to attend (been to first two of the 'new era' and enjoyed them more than the Revival to be honest - better access, good access to paddocks, not too corporate - yet).

Tickets to non-members still available and on sale until Wed 24th Feb (but supposedly limited availability).

No doubt a fair number of members tickets on eBay will be available right up until then day as normal!
Old 20 Feb 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3616277)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Anyway. Although people may be disappointed that I'll be there, Please do come and say hello or tell me how awful I am as Gordon always does. Last year, much to my shame a gentleman came to see me and congratulated me on taking part. I know I should have asked his name, although I'm sure I recognised him but I didn't. Hopefully he will come back thus year and I'll be sure to ask his name and apologise for being rude last year.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3616281)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At 84 quid a ticket I would expect most of the F1 grid to be there.

One of the most expensive race meetings in the country at a time when the weather has little chance of being good.

I think you know why I wont be there, one for the rich, famous and erm, wanna be rich and famous.