Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jul 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3284375)   #1
Tim Neill
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Tim Neill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'First Marshal at the Scene' training courses - where are they?

Does anyone know where I can complete one of these courses and which clubs run them?

I sent my PRC off a couple of months ago for an upgrade, with required attendance and examining post chiefs' signatures, only to now learn that I need an MSA approved First Aid signature. St John Ambulance one day course 'First Aid at Work' plus HeartStart course apparently not acceptable.

Thanks, Tim
Old 31 Jul 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3284397)   #2
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Neill View Post
Does anyone know where I can complete one of these courses and which clubs run them?

I sent my PRC off a couple of months ago for an upgrade, with required attendance and examining post chiefs' signatures, only to now learn that I need an MSA approved First Aid signature. St John Ambulance one day course 'First Aid at Work' plus HeartStart course apparently not acceptable.

Thanks, Tim
What are you upgrading to? Rescue? First aid training is a welcome addition to post duties but it's not a general requirement for ordinary post activity, nor a requirement for a standard upgrade.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3284403)   #3
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
What are you upgrading to? Rescue? First aid training is a welcome addition to post duties but it's not a general requirement for ordinary post activity, nor a requirement for a standard upgrade.
Under the new scheme, there actually is a First Aid module (although not the same as the HSE course). MSA training days from most (if not all) clubs will probably include this as part of the training day.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3284411)   #4
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Under the new scheme, there actually is a First Aid module (although not the same as the HSE course). MSA training days from most (if not all) clubs will probably include this as part of the training day.
Correct, there is now a "First Aid" (I think being referred to as First Marshal On Scene) module requirement for the Track to Experienced upgrade these days ..... although there was previously a requirement for training to have included "basic aid" for Track to Experienced upgrade so there should be something out there already.

I know there was work underway on the module - hopefully someone will pop in and clarify.

Dave

Last edited by deley; 31 Jul 2013 at 23:00.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 05:47 (Ref:3284502)   #5
Tim Neill
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
It's an upgrade from Track to Experienced Marshal.

The annual training day at Brands Hatch (my 'home' track) doesn't offer this new module. Has anyone done this module anywhere?
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3284538)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marshals Club training at Donington. (January most years.)

Jim
Old 1 Aug 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3284540)   #7
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've obviously missed something here.

Where are the details of this new requirement anyone? Or is it like a Dan Brown novel where I've got to unravel strange clues left in the crypt of the MSA.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3284553)   #8
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden had the "First Marshal on scene" module, not too far to go.
You could try contacting Richard Sneader as it was he that ran the module.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3284574)   #9
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Where are the details of this new requirement anyone? Or is it like a Dan Brown novel where I've got to unravel strange clues left in the crypt of the MSA.
A Track to Experienced upgrade has included a requirement for training in "basic first aid" or "basic aid" for some time.

When the change to the modular approach came in at the start of 2012 "Basic First Aid" is a specific module required for Track to Experienced upgrades and is listed in the PRC and the information available on the MSA website. The "First Marshal on Scene" idea seems to be another term to cover the basic/first aid but within the marshalling context.

I think the issue is that it isn't clear whether the "standard MSA module" for that particular subject has ever been released or whether clubs have been continuining with whatever they did (or maybe didn't do) previously to cover the subject when it would (should) have been included within a wider training day.

The concept behind the modular approach was that the training modules were to be defined and each module had to be specifically signed for, with each module having a core set of material to ensure consistency in the content being taught irrespective of club/venue.

Unfortunately my experience of training days at different clubs shows that the concept hasn't made it through to implementation in many cases with clubs doing "their own thing".

Dave
Old 1 Aug 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3284591)   #10
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
A Track to Experienced upgrade has included a requirement for training in "basic first aid" or "basic aid" for some time.

When the change to the modular approach came in at the start of 2012 "Basic First Aid" is a specific module required for Track to Experienced upgrades and is listed in the PRC and the information available on the MSA website. The "First Marshal on Scene" idea seems to be another term to cover the basic/first aid but within the marshalling context.

I think the issue is that it isn't clear whether the "standard MSA module" for that particular subject has ever been released or whether clubs have been continuining with whatever they did (or maybe didn't do) previously to cover the subject when it would (should) have been included within a wider training day.

The concept behind the modular approach was that the training modules were to be defined and each module had to be specifically signed for, with each module having a core set of material to ensure consistency in the content being taught irrespective of club/venue.

Unfortunately my experience of training days at different clubs shows that the concept hasn't made it through to implementation in many cases with clubs doing "their own thing".

Dave
Thank you, Dave. I think your last sentence covers it. I am now clarified.

I've been doing training since Stonehedge was a racetrack. Last year I did PC training at one track and Flag training at another. I knew "about it" because it's in the PRC but had never had specific training in that module. I hasten to add that I have had training in cardiac arrest procedures from BARC.

I will do a Dan Brown in the MSA crypt ("Infernal?" )
Old 1 Aug 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3284593)   #11
Tim Neill
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Thank you for the comments and insight. Richard Sneader was actually my first port of call and the situation seems very opaque, up to each club and location to do its own thing.

I would be very surprised if the scope, depth and hands-on practice of any club's First Aid module matched the HSE-approved 'First Aid at Work' full day I completed. Why re-invent the wheel? Why not take advantage of this excellent course (which is run in most towns in the UK) and then fortify it with a small marshal-specific module?
Old 1 Aug 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3284595)   #12
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you for the comments and insight. Richard Sneader was actually my first port of call and the situation seems very opaque, up to each club and location to do its own thing.

I would be very surprised if the scope, depth and hands-on practice of any club's First Aid module matched the HSE-approved 'First Aid at Work' full day I completed. Why re-invent the wheel? Why not take advantage of this excellent course (which is run in most towns in the UK) and then fortify it with a small marshal-specific module?
Rescue Units and medical cars tend to be a (very) short time away, so the course does not really need to cover in-depth details of first aid when a fully trained team with either a paramedic or doctor can show up within a minute or two.

That was my understanding anyway...
Old 1 Aug 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3284600)   #13
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that Richard will be able to clarify the situation as it is my understanding that he is involved in the format of the module.
As a trained first aider I can say that the purpose of the FMOS module is not about first aid, the rescue units will be along all guns blazing in a very short period of time BUT is some instances those couple of minutes while rc is informed/race neutralised/rescue unit race to scene can mean the difference between life and death (or worse) and it is the required immediate intervention that is taught in this module, it is airway/breathing/circulation as opposed to which way up a triangular bandage goes.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3284603)   #14
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

It's a 1 hour (ish) session held during a training day. As Jim says above, its certainly covered at the Donington days and has been for at least the last two years.

It's not a separate course, or anything like it.

All marshals are expected (I believe) now to train once every two years, ......
Old 1 Aug 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3284694)   #15
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
Rescue Units and medical cars tend to be a (very) short time away, so the course does not really need to cover in-depth details of first aid when a fully trained team with either a paramedic or doctor can show up within a minute or two.

That was my understanding anyway...
But a "minute or two" can make a difference if someone's in cardiac arrest or choking! Also, at my last BARC training session I was advised that Post Chiefs now also have a duty of care towards spectators. Whether that was official or off the cuff I don't know, and a PC (and others) having some knowledge of resus. procedures during those valuable few minutes before the cavalry arrive is something that is more than useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
It's a 1 hour (ish) session held during a training day. As Jim says above, its certainly covered at the Donington days and has been for at least the last two years.

It's not a separate course, or anything like it.

All marshals are expected (I believe) now to train once every two years, ......
I've been doing Donny training since JimW had black hair! Specifically, the practical fire training is probably the best in the known universe and I was always keen to hear Dr Mark (? - forgotten his name - consultant anaesthetist at Leeds? Sheffield? Mad hair!) do his talk on keeping people alive after road accidents. I probably learned more about such things in the freezing cold of the pre-new-suite at Donny than anywhere else.

I'm not an XPC (involuntary shudder) but I would have expected PC's to have been advised if something was mandatory for an upgrade.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3285099)   #16
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a bit of a bone of contention for me! I have been ready to upgrade from track to experienced for 2 years now but none of the training days I've attended (2 SMT & 1 BMMC) have had this new module. In fact, I don't think it was even written. The really annoying thing is that I work for the ambulance service on emergency vehicles so kind of know what I'm doing
Old 6 Aug 2013, 08:30 (Ref:3286439)   #17
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FMOS module was completed last year thanks to the efforts of Richard Sneader and was approved by the MSA Medical panel. It is specifically for first on scene at a motorsport incident, so it not only covers the basic first aid but also the motorsport aspects. The module is based on the little leaflet given to most new marshals.

All clubs have the module, it is on the trainers dropbox and can be given at any time by any club - as long as the trainer is MSA approved.
I am sure a good number of people have other first aid qualifications (or higher), but the module is the one we would request all trainers to use.

I will raise this with the MSA to see if we can get the module delivered mid season - as with all the modules they do not have to be done at a specific training day - they can be given individually by MSA trainers whenever and wherever is most appropriate.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:27 (Ref:3286458)   #18
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know I should keep up and we do attend training days but aren't I glad I'm not working my way through the ranks now!
Old 6 Aug 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3286524)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, it seems very complicated.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3286600)   #20
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complicated?

Not really; just a lot better...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3286644)   #21
Pitsmarion
Rookie

Guernsey
Huntingdon
Pitsmarion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in the same area and also looking for FMOS to complete my upgrade to Experienced Specialist, so if there's a mid-season course going close-by you can count me in as well.

Marion
Old 7 Aug 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3286757)   #22
Tim Neill
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
Quote:
All clubs have the module, it is on the trainers dropbox and can be given at any time by any club - as long as the trainer is MSA approved ...
Well that's a clear statement - FMOS is available right now. All we need is for someone to establish how many people need it and then run it ...
Old 7 Aug 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3286820)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well that's a clear statement - FMOS is available right now. All we need is for someone to establish how many people need it and then run it ...
This will normally be offered as a module within training days. E.G. Donington and Oulton Park and others.

So if you still need that signature (or want a refresher or continuation training) just keep an eye out for the publicity and sign yourself up.

Regards

Jim
Old 7 Aug 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3286911)   #24
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will see if I can put something together for a in season training evening covering fmos. It will be in essex though and it may be short notice as I need to sort out time etc. I have a location so thats no issue with plenty of parking. I need to see what my diary will free up.
Watch this space.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3286977)   #25
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
This will normally be offered as a module within training days. E.G. Donington and Oulton Park and others.

So if you still need that signature (or want a refresher or continuation training) just keep an eye out for the publicity and sign yourself up.

Regards

Jim
I think the issue is that some Clubs haven't included it for whatever reason and, while individuals could travel the length and breadth of the country to track down "missing modules", surely this flies in the face of the MSA's desire to have consistency in marshal training to support their aim [It is essential that marshals can operate at whatever venue and for whichever club is running an event. The standardisation of training seeks to address this requirement].

Dave