Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jul 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2495133)   #176
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Is that the latest rumour ?
I thought I read in the Bear a while back that PTG was working on the project. Of course it wasn't said that explicitly, but that was my interpretation.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2495147)   #177
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
You want the transmission before the engine!?. How would you make that work with rear wheel drive.
Besides, with all that empty space, where would you generate downforce for the front?.
Dude, it's essentially an idea drawn on a napkin. You expecting me to do CFD or something? It was a two-line response to Mulsanne Mike of "could this work?"

As far as the tranny, I wanted it to be lined up with the driveshaft because that's what I've always seen with rear-engined prototypes. Since it's a front-engined car, I figured the tranny went to the front driveshaft. I didn't consider it being RWD. Thinking about it now, it could instead be done via U-joints. The reason I put the tranny in front of the engine was because the engine would be taller so the tranny could be in front and have the smaller frontal profile that'd be necessary.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2496263)   #178
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Dude, it's essentially an idea drawn on a napkin. You expecting me to do CFD or something? It was a two-line response to Mulsanne Mike of "could this work?"

As far as the tranny, I wanted it to be lined up with the driveshaft because that's what I've always seen with rear-engined prototypes. Since it's a front-engined car, I figured the tranny went to the front driveshaft. I didn't consider it being RWD. Thinking about it now, it could instead be done via U-joints. The reason I put the tranny in front of the engine was because the engine would be taller so the tranny could be in front and have the smaller frontal profile that'd be necessary.
Of Course it's a "napkin drawing" but all napkin drawings must keep some sort of realism. I didn't mean to offend you or your idea, but i was just trying to explain why i don't think this idea will work.

I do not have much engineering knowledge, but the U-joints sounds a bit complex, and could be a loss of power from the engine to the wheels, and be a place of unreliability because of all the power they have to handle.. But of course aerodynamical it would be best to have the Transmission in front of the engine, but also since the engine weigh more, it would also give a better weight distribution.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2496309)   #179
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post

''

All the front engined Panoz LMPs were RWD. So too the Mustang GTP. Means they have a drive shaft tunnel running through the bottom of the tub. Panoz had carbon fiber drive shafts, were about 4" in diameter if I recall. Had early issues with getting them to live, but by the end of the program I think they had a good design and suppliers who could make them.

There's no way you'd put both the engine and the transmission in the front of the car if simply for weight distribution. Why take the one potential benefit of the front engined car and then ruin that by now running too much weight at the front?

I must admit I can't make much sense out of the vague "drawing" here. I see drive shafts at the front and the rear (only 2 wheels can be driven) and a roll over structure effectively right on top of the rear wing. You want that structure as far forward as you can get it, which is naturally difficult in a front engined car as suddenly everything goes rearwards.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2496702)   #180
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that drive shaft translates into propshaft in my neck of the woods and if I'm right then yes they were a source of problems on the GTR. It was thought that alignement was the issue so a gadget utilising a laser and a mirror was tried to improve the situation.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2496776)   #181
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I just (poorly) phototshopped an old Panoz Spyder, an made it silver and look what I made! It is possible after all.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2496973)   #182
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hilarious, as you point out, that in 2009 we're talking about rebuilding a closed-top car that existed in 1997 from the old chassis generated by cutting the top off the damn thing in 1999.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2496982)   #183
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
It's hilarious, as you point out, that in 2009 we're talking about rebuilding a closed-top car that existed in 1997 from the old chassis generated by cutting the top off the damn thing in 1999.
Isn't it? Roof was chopped to get around the deficiencies of it with a roof on...doh!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2501866)   #184
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Whatever their plans,I'm looking forward to Panoz returning to the top of the sportscar class. I hope it'll be with a caracteristic machine as all the previous Panoz's were.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2741922)   #185
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the Lola-Rousch (Ford) announcement, a Ford Lmp1 engine might be build for 2012. Does this make a Panoz lmp return more likely!?
Old 9 Aug 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2741952)   #186
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
With the Lola-Rousch (Ford) announcement, a Ford Lmp1 engine might be build for 2012. Does this make a Panoz lmp return more likely!?
No, I don't see it being any more probable than before.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2742038)   #187
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And considering their Abruzzi launch at Le Mans I'd say...no
Old 9 Aug 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2742069)   #188
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add to that the Abruzzi apparently has a bow-tie lump in it.

Chris

Last edited by Jonerz; 9 Aug 2010 at 18:12.