Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3213885)   #26
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the front firewall is a stress bearing member (and where the upper suspension mounts are) it can't be a spaceframe. If the bars in cabin are the stress bearing members after that the worse it could be is a space-coque .
Old 4 Mar 2013, 04:59 (Ref:3213922)   #27
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Brick, once again you've misunderstood a clarification.
By design and manner of construction the ST is a monocoque which benefits from reinforcement by the safety frame - like any unibody car.
Unlike the TLX (for example) which is a spaceframe.

I thought Marks explanation to be very clear.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 05:40 (Ref:3213928)   #28
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most if not all early built monocoque cars never had inner strenghteners in their A, B or C pillars, or sill panels. So the lack of inner strenghteners in a ST doesn't change the fact the car is a momocoque.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 05:47 (Ref:3213931)   #29
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Most if not all early built monocoque cars never had inner strenghteners in their A, B or C pillars, or sill panels. So the lack of inner strenghteners in a ST doesn't change the fact the car is a momocoque.
can we have an example ?? when people say early cars, i'm not thinking unibody, but old Model T's with a chassis underneath ??
Old 4 Mar 2013, 05:57 (Ref:3213933)   #30
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Sorry Brick, once again you've misunderstood a clarification.
By design and manner of construction the ST is a monocoque which benefits from reinforcement by the safety frame - like any unibody car.
Unlike the TLX (for example) which is a spaceframe.

I thought Marks explanation to be very clear.
Can you please enlighten me then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
So by adding a few steel sheets in the front welded into box section that makes the car monocoque?
What is the body doing? Do those B pillars have the inner panels adding strength and stiffness? In fact are those B pillars anything more than just the outer panel?
Is the roof adding torsional strength or is that coming from the extensive spaceframe structure in the car?
Can someone please show me where "the body serves as part of the structure"
Old 4 Mar 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3213936)   #31
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Quote from Wiki spaceframe explanation for cars:

"In both a spaceframe and a tube-frame chassis, the suspension, engine, and body panels are attached to a skeletal frame of tubes, and the body panels have little or no structural function. By contrast, in a unibody or monocoque design, the body serves as part of the structure."

Given what Mark has just told you, how can you still argue that it is a spaceframe? Mark says you don't need the cage structurally and nothing is mounted to it, therefore it must be a (semi) monocoque.
How could you not?

Considering that the body panels are removeable from the car and the car will still function,
that is the outer skin, rear guards etc,
then they do not have "Structural Function".

Whether the front suspension arms are mounted to round tubes,
or hand made square tubes, makes no difference really,
it's weather the outer skin of the car is part of the structure or not IMO.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3213939)   #32
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
How could you not?

Considering that the body panels are removeable from the car and the car will still function,
that is the outer skin, rear guards etc,
then they do not have "Structural Function".

Whether the front suspension arms are mounted to round tubes,
or hand made square tubes, makes no difference really,
it's weather the outer skin of the car is part of the structure or not IMO.
Have a look at a TransAm car then have a look at a ST.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3213951)   #33
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Have a look at a TransAm car then have a look at a ST.
so, a supertourer has opening doors/boot/bonnet.

can the steel tube structure be removed and have a fully functioning vehicle with an NZST ???
Old 4 Mar 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3213953)   #34
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The 1949 Morris Minor lo-lite which was if I remember correctly the first mass produced Monocoque production car certainly used all the panels and box sections for structural strength and when the 1952 Hi-lite model was produced as a convertable model quite a lot of extra strengthening sections were added into the structure for including some heavier gauge materials for amongst other things in spite of plastic rear window and a rag top it was actually heavier than the normal 2 door model
Old 4 Mar 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3213956)   #35
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
so, a supertourer has opening doors/boot/bonnet.

can the steel tube structure be removed and have a fully functioning vehicle with an NZST ???
Yes. It is not a spaceframe car.

If you asked a hairdresser to look at a ST and a TL car and asked what is different I'm sure they would say nothing. Many people would think the TL car was a spaceframe if they had never seen a racecar close up before.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3213959)   #36
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Yes. It is not a spaceframe car.

If you asked a hairdresser to look at a ST and a TL car and asked what is different I'm sure they would say nothing. Many people would think the TL car was a spaceframe if they had never seen a racecar close up before.
and they wouldn't say the same of the NZST. BTW , the TL is a genuine monocoque with a cage, TLX is a space-frame. you too busy trying to confuse us, that you are confusing yourself.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3213963)   #37
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
The 1949 Morris Minor lo-lite which was if I remember correctly the first mass produced Monocoque production car certainly used all the panels and box sections for structural strength and when the 1952 Hi-lite model was produced as a convertable model quite a lot of extra strengthening sections were added into the structure for including some heavier gauge materials for amongst other things in spite of plastic rear window and a rag top it was actually heavier than the normal 2 door model
Hi Carl,

Very good analogy if I may say so. If we cut the roll gage out you could still drive the V8ST chassis around but just like the Morrie convertable, you would loose a lot of rigidity.

The salient point being that both Morrie's are still unibody [monocoque] car's, not spaceframe cars.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3213964)   #38
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
and they wouldn't say the same of the NZST. BTW , the TL is a genuine monocoque with a cage, TLX is a space-frame. you too busy trying to confuse us, that you are confusing yourself.
Monocoque, Semi monocoque-Unibody, Subframe, Semi subframe, Half chassis, Backbone chassis, ladder chassis. SPACEFRAME. What is the point of all this again?
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3213965)   #39
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Monocoque, Semi monocoque-Unibody, Subframe, Semi subframe, Half chassis, Backbone chassis, ladder chassis. SPACEFRAME. What is the point of all this again?
eligibility into a well supportered SI series that will not allow spaceframed cars to run.
so, not TLX and would doubt the NZST would pass tech either, as it is not, by true definition and proper monocoque chassis that could be safely driven without the jungle gym inside it.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3213967)   #40
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
If we cut the roll gage out you could still drive the V8ST chassis around but just like the Morrie convertable, you would loose a lot of rigidity.
which would fail first ? the roof or the chassis rail connection to the firewall ??
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3213973)   #41
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a vid on youtube with a closer look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrHzN6Qz-0

The engine bay stuff if definitely not space frameish.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:35 (Ref:3213974)   #42
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
which would fail first ? the roof or the chassis rail connection to the firewall ??
Have a look Joe.
Youtube
Smart vs Mercedes E Class Crash Test. The overhead is good.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3213975)   #43
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
SJ, you are the one using the word "fail"

If you are really interested in seeing how the V8ST chassis is designed, be my guest at Ruapuna this weekend, for a close up look. Come on Saturday and it wont even cost you a cent.

FYI, the chassis has in fact two inner and two outer chassis rails, the outer chassis rails are very substantial rail's joined by a large torque box to the front chassis rail, and the rear bulkhead at the back.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3213979)   #44
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
There's a vid on youtube with a closer look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrHzN6Qz-0

The engine bay stuff if definitely not space frameish.
48 seconds . remove all the rollcage and box section and what strength is left ??
Old 4 Mar 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3213990)   #45
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
48 seconds . remove all the rollcage and box section and what strength is left ??
Joe, don't think for a minute that all the TL cars still had all the inner strenghteners they came out with from factory. Some of those TL cars would dend in half before a ST would if you cut the cage out of them. they don't have the strenght in the floor that the ST has.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 09:30 (Ref:3213995)   #46
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Joe, don't think for a minute that all the TL cars still had all the inner strenghteners they came out with from factory. Some of those TL cars would dend in half before a ST would if you cut the cage out of them. they don't have the strenght in the floor that the ST has.
irrelevent, they were built from a monocoque/unibody chassis. if someone wants to chop bits out before the add the jungle jim, then bully for them. prior to modifcation, they could be driven without the bar work.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3214010)   #47
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Personally, I'd believe the guy that had a hand in the design concept rather than a bunch of armchair experts. Of which I don't proclaim to be one.

If you look at the photo link that I provided of the TLX under construction, it is completely obvious that it is a spaceframe. The ST body on the other hand is far closer to the unibody style in the other diagrams. I don't quite know where you people get off telling Mark he is wrong on his own car concept!

I think that you just can't ever accept anything that is said by Mark or associated ST people.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3214017)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Up close and personal with a V8ST...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Mar 2013, 13:52 (Ref:3214070)   #49
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm assuming that the difference here is monocoque chassis as opposed to monocoque body?

You certainly couldn't accuse the engine bay above of being spaceframe.
Old 4 Mar 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3214255)   #50
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, a ST is a monocoque with a cage.....end of

TLX is a pure space frame car....end of

Its quite simple really