Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 30 Apr 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3532386)   #401
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are only a few problems with a possible return of the ERC: not enough cars and drivers and not enough media (an free stream for all Europeans would be nice to start with). We also miss the folks from Bach then... But the main problem is you will always miss out something to the WRX, we could end up with 2 championships with half the entrees...
Old 1 May 2015, 08:02 (Ref:3532443)   #402
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really do not think you would struggle too much

WRX DOES NOT WANT S1600 and rwd, all they want is Lites and Supercars, supercars cater for their tv needs and that is their requirement, nothing more.

Not everyone can afford half million pound transporters, some guys still use their garage Transit to tow a car to a meeting, they need to be catered for.

WRX has just cherry picked a few good teams, made them commit financially to a big series and left everyone else.

I think you would do fine in a little while, not straight away, with a sensible ERC going to all the usual places like Poland, Czecho, Ireland maybe, Holland, Germany, Finland. Not many rounds, and nicely spread out.
Old 1 May 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3532473)   #403
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall hearing that there is a cap of 40 cars per class. Is that a definite rule? We have 39 cars for Mettet and some absences (the Minis, Foust, Procter, Coox, Jansen etc). This could be a real issue in future events (Holjes) and would have certainly been an issue of Lydden hosted the ERx too. I wonder if that rule will be relaxed? Also, if 35+ cars are to be the norm, I'd like to see a quarter final (or more likely a repechage race or two where maybe qualifiers from 11 to 24 race in 6 per race to get the final two spots on the semi finals. With such big fields it must almost be off putting to the smaller team as they have little chance of a final.
Old 1 May 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3532561)   #404
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with Hicky, just 12 making the 2 semis leaves little chance for the underdog to make the finals though again my feeling is IMG prefer the focus being on the top few, make them names or better still fill the seats with names from other series. 3 years ago I was lucky enough to see Kevin Proctor win the French ERC round after qualifying for the C final, unless things change nothing like that will ever happen again.

Anyone know why Janssen is doing the challenge this year after being one of the few private entry drivers to do the world? I hope the challenge starts to gain momentum again though I fear without the Scandanavian support which seem very much behind the WRX and ERX any other championship will struggle.
Personally Id be happy for the world to it go alone, go to all the new F1 bandwagon jumping tracks with their energy drink following and have the ERX supercars with 1600s and touring cars go to all the "traditional" tracks promoted by either IMG themselves or someone else.
Old 1 May 2015, 16:49 (Ref:3532617)   #405
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about here. The big boys get to do the WRX and go all round the world. The ones with smaller budgets stick to the ERX. The ones with the even smaller budgets can still turn up and race, but will probably not get any points (which is how it's always been).

I wish that the ERX went to all European rounds. I wish that there was a broader number of finalists so as to give more people a chance (I don't think that it always favours the big boys as with 39 cars, if you have one crash, you are at risk of not getting into the top 12).

I'd rather focus on better integration (not just as Supercar level, but S1600 and TouringCar) than creating a successful separation. We all feel that way about BTRDA/MSA in the UK, so why demand separation at a European level.

Separation leads to a two-tier sport. There's a reason that there isn't a thread of 30 pages on the Challenge on here; it's not very interesting. I went to a Challenge event in France and (other than the awesome French championship, which is simply incredible), it lacked appeal - a bunch of drivers who would struggle to get into the B final of a regular ERC event. Of course, if that event was on at Croft, Pembrey or Lydden, then I'd be there in a shot (it's still better than the BRX!!). But it doesn't have the same global appeal and that is why there are none of the big Scandinavian drivers or other top guys going there. It's a bit catch-22 in that respect.

And as for the notion of a man and his transit turning up and genuinely competing for the win, that just seems like rose-tinted glasses to me. There was some serious money (and factory backing) behind the likes of Schanche/Gollop etc. Nothing's changed. For me, it's about ensuring that the man and his transit can still turn up and race in the ERX (such as Boak/Chicken heading to Mettet with seriously lower budgets than the big boys). To support this, we need to ensure that there is a good, well supported series with enough events across Europe for anyone who fancies a go to compete, with a mix of top drivers/machines (which brings the punters and sponsors in) and the man and his van. I hope that next year the S1600/TouringCar classes are at all European evens.
Old 1 May 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3532671)   #406
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah you're right.
If/When RCE takes of then there is an alternative. Lets hope it will.

Taking 2 semi final places away from faster cars isn't 'fair' either. I suppose that when you miss the semi's because the Disney fairytale princess story possibility that an after 4 heats 18th seated driver might win the big final, you won't be happy. It could have been you, rather, the chance is higher 'cos you're faster the whole day!
There's something to say for both systems ofcourse, but fair and sportsmanship ladida etc, hmm. It's never going to be both.
IMG will always look from the point of easiest understandable and televisable way to do the races.
With semis + finals on telly there's no need for the rest to be 'important'. So... if 16+ drivers turn up (12 might even do) then there is a broadcast.
I wouldn't hold my breath until IMG might take another view.
Old 1 May 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3532676)   #407
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
To be honest I don't understand why they haven't chose to do 8 car finals and semi finals. At least you see 16 cars entering the finals like before
Old 1 May 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3532692)   #408
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Bigger grids results often in more chaos (see GRC). Not a fan of it. Rather would see a B-final with 6 "losers" from semi-finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1982 View Post
Volders have the focus mk3. Not the fiesta.
My mistake but the question still stands.
Old 1 May 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3532707)   #409
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
The 12 might be an heritage of the round robin 16 max drivers system. And indeed, 8 or 10 car grids are prone to chaos and possible loads of restarts, which isn't something you want for live telly.
Old 3 May 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3533590)   #410
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Random question: the Lydden site has a countdown to the Lydden round. 20 days as of 1pm today. I make that 1pm start on Saturday 23 May. That makes no sense. I hope that someone who knows what the hell is going on confirms on the RX site once and for all when the damn event starts and what days it runs. At the moment it's farcical.
Old 3 May 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3533609)   #411
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Random question: the Lydden site has a countdown to the Lydden round. 20 days as of 1pm today. I make that 1pm start on Saturday 23 May. That makes no sense. I hope that someone who knows what the hell is going on confirms on the RX site once and for all when the damn event starts and what days it runs. At the moment it's farcical.
The official and correct dates for the WRX at Lydden are 22nd to 24th. International Events don't run on BH Mondays

22nd is just Scrutineering etc
Race days are 23rd and 24th
Timings I would say will be same at last year
9am start sat until 4/5
With a 10.30 start Sunday
Entries closed on 30th so I'm sure an entry list and full timetable will come soon
Old 3 May 2015, 13:52 (Ref:3533619)   #412
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Yesterday I booked Belgium, for me and my dad. Despite the distance to the track the entry list seems to be more promising... First time I will miss Lydden though... Only hope MDK will make it in time...
Old 3 May 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3533644)   #413
richp175
Rookie

England
horsham,west sussex
richp175 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No livestream available in the UK - AGAIN. The world must differ in the eyes of IMG and FIA to how i see it
Old 3 May 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3533645)   #414
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Richp, for next time, use Google Chrome and download an app called Hola Better Internet. This is an app that effectively enables you to trick the website that you are in a country that is eligible. I chose Germany. You don't need much computer savvy to get it to work either (even I can use it!) . Fingers crossed you get to watch Belgium this way in 2 weeks.
Old 3 May 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3533646)   #415
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
It's the same here in Holland (as is most of Europe)... And its to bad because in 2014 the TV coverage was just a fraction of the Livestream, so you miss out all the inside details and coverage... What bugs me most is the Livestream isn't even available after the TV broadcast, so you can never see it all!!
Old 3 May 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3533655)   #416
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In countries that have live TV coverage there's no live stream, which IMO is logical. I mean why should a TV channel pay for TV rights if there's a free live stream?

But like Hickey says you can get around the blockade easily. The Hola extension is also avaiable for Firefox.
Old 3 May 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3533657)   #417
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
RallycrossRX 2015

Last year we only had half an hour of broadcast on Sport 1 the day after and no official access to Livestream. Doesn't make sense to me! So like most fans I work around, for as long as the workaround works. At least IMG could make the stream available after the last broadcast is aired...
Old 3 May 2015, 17:25 (Ref:3533658)   #418
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The few times I watched Sport1 last year it had full live coverage (2 hours). Was not able to watch race of Montelegre and Hockenheim live at Sport1.

See for race of today: http://video.sport1.nl/main/missed/3487

Last edited by FIRE; 3 May 2015 at 17:31.
Old 3 May 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3533705)   #419
richp175
Rookie

England
horsham,west sussex
richp175 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice gents, much appreciated
Old 4 May 2015, 10:19 (Ref:3533926)   #420
paul1982
Racer

paul1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
Last year we only had half an hour of broadcast on Sport 1 the day after and no official access to Livestream. Doesn't make sense to me! So like most fans I work around, for as long as the workaround works. At least IMG could make the stream available after the last broadcast is aired...
I don't know wich sport1 you have in Holland but i can see the compleet live coverage of every race.... it is exactly the same as the livestream....(also in 2014)
After that the show a replay from an hour....

And for your information. No MDK in mettet.
Old 4 May 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3533928)   #421
paul1982
Racer

paul1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sport1 in Holland shows 1 hour of heats and than live the finals... so 2 hour broadcast. (Also in 2014)
So no idea from were you get that half hour the day after.
Old 4 May 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3533932)   #422
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1982 View Post
I don't know wich sport1 you have in Holland but i can see the compleet live coverage of every race.... it is exactly the same as the livestream....(also in 2014)

After that the show a replay from an hour....

And for your information. No MDK in mettet.

Don't know, was satellite... Have cable nowadays... They now offer Sport1 Racing (is new since the 1st May)...

Too bad MDK won't make its debut on home soil...
Old 4 May 2015, 14:53 (Ref:3534013)   #423
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
In countries that have live TV coverage there's no live stream, which IMO is logical. I mean why should a TV channel pay for TV rights if there's a free live stream?
Yeah, fully agreed. As frustrating as the Livestream block is, I can fully understand why it is in place.
Old 4 May 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3534103)   #424
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Have only just realised that World and Euro semi finals / finals are being split. I guess that goes some way to covering off my earlier point about needing a "D Final" concept in the new set up. Not sure where I stand on that though. I think it's probably for the best as will ensure the Euro round isn't won by the only guy that makes the semis. And means more races. But stops the underdog story of the Euro competitor upstagibg the World guys...
Old 5 May 2015, 04:35 (Ref:3534196)   #425
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
A ERX driver could still top the intermediate chart after 4 heats. If I where that driver, I still would brag about it And if it happens enough times during this (ERX) season, I'm sure that Monster will have an award for it next year. Or a wristwatch.