Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2539130)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An in-depth look at the BMW M3 GT2

Not sure if any of you have seen this, but Speedhunters.com has had a very detailed look at the new M3 GT2 car and they've put together a great collection of photos an info on the car!

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...he-m3-gt2.aspx
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2539148)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great looking car. Anyone know if this is going to be at Le Mans next year?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2539155)   #3
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its only homologated for Asia and American Le Mans Series atm
Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2539178)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was homologated for all ACO competition.

Chris
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2539275)   #5
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I thought it was homologated for all ACO competition.

Chris
I think it kinda depends on who you're asking...
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2539285)   #6
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
probably yhe best to ask the ACO - they should know
the dont have a list somewhere?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2539287)   #7
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was hoping they'd have something on their site the way the FIA does it, but I couldn't find anything.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:59 (Ref:2539291)   #8
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
well, same for me. thought its my fault, but ...
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2539306)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is fully ACO homologated.

L.P.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2539318)   #10
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's getting special help from IMSA because of higher frontal area... ok I guess

But this page is a great illustration of how far BMW have pushed the rules:
-the packaging is all tight and clever, especially at the front. I'm not sure the cooling ducts, especially the one for the tightly-packaged gearbox, are within the spirit of the rules since they modify the look of the car quite a bit and seem to require structural mods.
-the gearbox is a (rear-mounted) transaxle... I can search the net all I want and no page mention an E90 with a transaxle. Prodrive was turned down in 2001 when they were ready for their FIA GT debut with gears in the gearbox facing the wrong way... position wasn't even changed!
-they packaged a catalytic converter in the passenger compartment's floor! So that means a very hot ride for a eventual passengers! And seriously, if engine components can be packaged in the passenger's space, I'd say they've opened a can of worms: I guess future GT entrants will like to fit a remote electric water pump, maybe an alternator, the ECU & battery (already done) and other things they'll think about and bring in a lot of weight there. My point: this is no longer a GT car's passenger compartment!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2539335)   #11
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You know i'm pretty sure BMW is taking the GT2 to Lemans next year. that may be why there is the RLR M3 entered for the Asian Lemans series race to secure atleast one spot by merit
Old 13 Sep 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2539337)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Great article on the M3 GT2. Some very nice detail pics also. This month on Speedhunters is BMW month so there is an insight into the 1997 FIA GT season (and McLarens involvement with the F1 GTR) by John Brooks, very interesting and there is nice photos too.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2539345)   #13
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the heads-up, brilliant FIA GT article
Old 14 Sep 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2540399)   #14
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
You know i'm pretty sure BMW is taking the GT2 to Lemans next year. that may be why there is the RLR M3 entered for the Asian Lemans series race to secure atleast one spot by merit
I wouldn't be surprised if their Asian Le Mans Series participation was the tit for tat for getting dispensations in their ACO homologation.
Old 4 Oct 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2554038)   #15
maz
Rookie

maz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brilliant thread. shame it doesn't have much mechanical data
Old 4 Oct 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2554091)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Great looking car. Anyone know if this is going to be at Le Mans next year?

Language!!!!!
Old 6 Oct 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2555445)   #17
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like Luc Alphand will be running these next year in the LMS, and at LM.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2555478)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
BMW's???
Old 6 Oct 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2555491)   #19
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
BMW's???
yes
Old 6 Oct 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2555533)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Source?

If that did indeed come about then that would be quite surprising, I always thought that if they were in GT2 they would race the new Corvette given their strong links with Corvette Racing.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2555547)   #21
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Source?

If that did indeed come about then that would be quite surprising, I always thought that if they were in GT2 they would race the new Corvette given their strong links with Corvette Racing.
Maybe old Luc is ready for a change! Before Corvettes I believe he ran Porsches and even a Ferrari one year.

DK
Old 7 Oct 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2555551)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Source?

Here
Quote:
The last returns were in the paddock prior discussions with a German brand for which Lucho has led some years ago ...
Luc has won Dakar <stages> in a BMW.

edit: my bad.

L.P.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2555553)   #23
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Luc has won Dakar in a BMW.
In a Mitsubishi, actually. And I'd translate it as "driven" - and the only German cars he's driven competitively (as far as I know) are Porsches...
Old 7 Oct 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2555562)   #24
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Source was Dailysportscar, though in a somewhat cryptic manner.

Quote:
The Le Mans technoparc based team will continue with the full support of Dunlop… a tyre manufacturer already involved with the (German) cars expected !
Old 7 Oct 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2555574)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Source was Dailysportscar, though in a somewhat cryptic manner.
Thanks. Well if this comes to fruition, then we shall have BMW in GT2 on both sides of the Atlantic, bravo!