Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3897714)   #166
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I think thatís not right. I am sure the series is better than that, motorsport is very serious
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3897725)   #167
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I can try to drag this to a slightly more sensible discussion for a while, there are a few unanswered questions.

Entry Fees - we know TCR UK previously charged stupid amounts, will fees now be down to what TCT was going to charge or will TCT up their fees and meeting somewhere in the middle? Or perhaps there will be a standard TCT fee and an additional charge to be registered for TCR UK?

Tyres - TCR UK previously used Yokohama, which I assumed was a multi-year deal. Dunlop TCT obvious uses Dunlop. What happens now?
For the non-championship Spa round, I believe the plan is to run a combined grid of TCR Europe, TCR Benleux and TCR UK cars. If TCT/TCR UK run on Dunlop then will they need to use Yokohama for that race, as that's what Europe/Benelux use.

Will all TCR cars running in TCT be considered part of TCR UK, or will that only apply to some cars. I guess the question is more relevant depending on entry fees and tyres. - i.e. will TCR UK registered cars run on Yoko but TCR-spec cars running in TCT be able to run on Dunlops without being eligible for he 'TCR UK' title.

And finally, what do we actually call the series now? I'm guessing there will still be some element of TCR (tm) branding. Is it "Dunlop Touring Car Trophy featuring TCR UK", or maybe "Dunlop Touring Car Trophy" is now just 2 classes for S2000/NGTC and "TCR UK" is a separate series that just happens to share track time.

Sorry if some of that sounds a bit nerdy / pedantic.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3897732)   #168
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If I can try to drag this to a slightly more sensible discussion for a while, there are a few unanswered questions.

Entry Fees - we know TCR UK previously charged stupid amounts, will fees now be down to what TCT was going to charge or will TCT up their fees and meeting somewhere in the middle? Or perhaps there will be a standard TCT fee and an additional charge to be registered for TCR UK?

Tyres - TCR UK previously used Yokohama, which I assumed was a multi-year deal. Dunlop TCT obvious uses Dunlop. What happens now?
For the non-championship Spa round, I believe the plan is to run a combined grid of TCR Europe, TCR Benleux and TCR UK cars. If TCT/TCR UK run on Dunlop then will they need to use Yokohama for that race, as that's what Europe/Benelux use.

Will all TCR cars running in TCT be considered part of TCR UK, or will that only apply to some cars. I guess the question is more relevant depending on entry fees and tyres. - i.e. will TCR UK registered cars run on Yoko but TCR-spec cars running in TCT be able to run on Dunlops without being eligible for he 'TCR UK' title.

And finally, what do we actually call the series now? I'm guessing there will still be some element of TCR (tm) branding. Is it "Dunlop Touring Car Trophy featuring TCR UK", or maybe "Dunlop Touring Car Trophy" is now just 2 classes for S2000/NGTC and "TCR UK" is a separate series that just happens to share track time.

the real question is does anyone care?
as a standalone series it collapsed after just one year despite all the hype.

why? because they couldnít find enough competitors.

why? because it was obviously unwanted and unneeded.

end of story.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 17:58 (Ref:3897734)   #169
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridredshoes should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Obvious I care, otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question!

But perhaps I'll just leave you to get on with discussion about Clown Car Racing
Old 15 Apr 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3897756)   #170
Steel Wheels
Racer

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Glad Iím not the only one thinking along those lines (or should I say Lines) -sorry terrible pun!
Old 15 Apr 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3897769)   #171
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

end of story.
Calm down Alan Gow some of us are genuinely interested
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3897776)   #172
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

end of story.
If it bothers you that much, why not just avoid the topics about it and allow everyone else to have sensible discussions about it without your interjections

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:35 (Ref:3897782)   #173
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
If it bothers you that much, why not just avoid the topics about it and allow everyone else to have sensible discussions about it without your interjections

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
itís like driving past an accident. cant help but look
Old 15 Apr 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3897785)   #174
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Well thatís one thing, but constructive criticism is welcome
Old 15 Apr 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3897796)   #175
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

My assumption is that Mr Lines has the rights to the TCR moniker, and will apply it to TCR-spec cars within their own class, seen in other markets.

Tyres, I'm guessing will be Dunlop. If, and that's a big if, any cars go to the Spa event, which is non-points apparently, they'd surely run on the Yokos.

One would certainly hope that the entry fees going forward, are much more palatable.

If there isn't an upward swing in interest this year, they might as well draw the curtains for good at season's end.
Old 15 Apr 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3897797)   #176
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
itís like driving past an accident. cant help but look
Sadly it is this exactly. It's not blood and guts on the carriageway but tumbleweed on track. I went to some last year, thinking it'll get better. It never did. Croft in particular sucked, spot the car and spot the spectator. Wasn't many of either.

I'm in truth a sad git who spends way too much time trying to find racing to watch. BTCC is only 10 weekends, so there is need for more for the minority like me. Think I'll have to retire to the States where there's racing of some sort pretty much every weekend except deep mid winter.

I hope SL has it pitched right and can get some bums in seats; if not then I think it'll be a one year wonder like TCR UK was. No idea on costs or tyres, my gut says the TCT costs stay as were and TCR UK exists in name only - so TCT costs and rule book applies. No doubt somebody will spill the beans...
Old 15 Apr 2019, 23:06 (Ref:3897805)   #177
S griffin
Veteran

What a waste it was. A great idea gone bad. It could have been great. Too few cars and not enough interest

It would have been a great stepping stone to the BTCC. BTCC is great, but TCR UK could have been great itís in own right. But thereís plenty of motorsport out there. Of course the states has enough racing each weekend from different varieties of cars all over the country

At least the cars live on in this series. It has a big chance. It deserves to go well
Old 16 Apr 2019, 01:28 (Ref:3897818)   #178
S griffin
Veteran

I feel TCR UK is a missed opportunity. It would have been a great stepping stone to the BTCC. Instead of that, it has gone down the swanny and a potential great national series never got anywhere

Imagine how great it could have been had everything been in place. You could have stars of the future, established drivers from others series, plus the occasional guest ride

I do hope TCT succeeds where TCR UK failed. It would be a great credit if it did
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3897887)   #179
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I for one agree. An opportunity, but due to incompetence (don't think that is in doubt) and greed (jury still out) they attracted hardly anyone.

I think SL saw this, re-jigged parameters and arrived at TCT. Going to try and be at the first meeting and suck it and see...
Old 16 Apr 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3897891)   #180
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Yeah, I for one agree. An opportunity, but due to incompetence (don't think that is in doubt) and greed (jury still out) they attracted hardly anyone.
but thats the thing though. there obviously wasnt an opportunity. there was no space for it in an already overcrowded british motorsport which is why they had so very few solid series long entries despite all the months of hype and buildup