Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2685435)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers propose giving top drivers bye in Monaco Q1 over safety fears

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83341

I'm not sure how exactly this would work (presumably the top ten or so in the WDC getting a free ride through Q1 and getting dropped in Q2), but I think they have a point about the risk of accidents. Monaco is tight at the best of times, but in Q1 where you've got blokes in slow cars throwing the kitchen sink at it with other guys in faster cars trying to get round them, and only give them 20 minutes to set times, you're going to get mayhem.
Old 6 May 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2685441)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope they don't split them up.

Did they have 24 cars in previous years qualifying at the same time?
Old 6 May 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2685446)   #3
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I hope they don't split them up.

Did they have 24 cars in previous years qualifying at the same time?
Yes, but I don't believe they had the likes of Lotus, Virgin and HRT in previous years.
Old 6 May 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2685461)   #4
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How ridiculous. The best drivers in the world. State of the art GPS systems that tell the teams where every driver is. Thereby releasing them on to a clear track.
Surely it's the same for all, give them hard tyres and let them drive. They used to have 26 cars in the turbo era qualifying and holding one another up, and then only 20 could race.
I'm fed up of the PC brigade.
Old 6 May 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2685472)   #5
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the days before F1 went more 'exclusive' in terms of team numbers, there would be 30 qualifiers in qualifying after pre qualifying beforehand. in 1990, the difference between 1st and 30th in quali was 5.3s.

It's been done before and I don't see why it can't be done again.

(and by the way, being able to use the term '30th' when talking about F1 got me a bit nostalgic )
Old 6 May 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2685479)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dear me, the likes of Ascari, Fangio, Nuvolari, Clark, Villeneuve etc will all be turning in their graves. The most docile F1 cars in history and the supposed best drivers cant manage Monaco without cutting the numbers. Safety ! as Nigel Roebuck said in a recent article, Motor Sport is now virtually no risk sport. In fact Show Jumping is more dangerous, in fact working on a building site is more dangerous. Is it any wonder that only those of tender years have any respect for this bunch of racing drivers. What next, big Scalextrix cars and hand controllers on the pit wall. Get on with it and stop whinging.
Old 6 May 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2685494)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
They used to have 26 cars in the turbo era qualifying and holding one another up, and then only 20 could race.
However, in those days qualifying existed of two 60-minutes sessions. Therefore a comparison with the current 20-minutes Q1 is impossible.

I oppose a split-up. Formula 1 has chosen for the current artificial knock-out qualifying format and should accept all possible consequences.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:43 (Ref:2685535)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would also oppose such a split, but:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
The most docile F1 cars in history
Define 'docile' in this context.

Quote:
as Nigel Roebuck said in a recent article, Motor Sport is now virtually no risk sport.
Try telling Felipe Massa that, or worse still, John Surtees. 'Virtually no risk' is not the same as 'no risk'. Do we watch this for the danger factor, or the skill / speed factor?

Quote:
Is it any wonder that only those of tender years have any respect for this bunch of racing drivers.
Well I guess it would be a wonder, if it were true. I'm 60, my hero is Stirling Moss, and I've been interested in F1 racing for half a century, but I have total respect for this crop of current drivers. Totally different skill sets are now required. Subjected to greater stresses than ever before, generated by grip, downforce, acceleration and cornering speeds, create the need for far greater fitness levels and technical understanding of what is going on, makes comparisons, subjective at best. It is said that this is probably the strongest grid of F1 drivers ever; despite my age I'd find it difficult to disagree.

I'm not particularly PC about safety but in denigrating the drivers of the modern era, we denigrate ourselves because we are part of that society in which the current approach applies. In truth, technical advances have been so great in all areas that it was all inevitable, and you really can't stand in the way of progress, good or bad. It is not the fault of the current crop of drivers; they, like every previous generation have had to adapt to the racing environment that has been created for them. The great drivers of any generation, including the current ones, would have probably excelled in any era.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2685567)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that it will be raining anyway.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2685568)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if they feel that strongly about it they should really just run an installation lap or not run at all and simply start the race from either the back of the grid or pit lane. that provision already exists so why the rule change.

personally i feel that if they did this they would be acknowledging that they are pants and should not even be in F1 but i dont think that would go over very well with any potential sponsors in the audience this weekend. its not about safety its about saving face and making money.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2685578)   #11
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a joke. It's ok being stupid enough to get caught out by the weather Malaysia) but not possible traffic around Monaco... Personally I find it ridiculous this is even being considered.
Bit like Monza 2001 where Schumi and co asked for everyone to take single file into the first chicane. Something to do with danger to marshall's after previous years fatal accident.
Villeneuve, the voice of reason, said NO. They had had a year to do something but left it till eve of race.
If Monaco is so dangerous, what the hell are they "racing" there for??
Old 6 May 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2685588)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Ah safety issue! Track off the calander!
Old 6 May 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2685591)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
What a joke. It's ok being stupid enough to get caught out by the weather Malaysia) but not possible traffic around Monaco... Personally I find it ridiculous this is even being considered.
Bit like Monza 2001 where Schumi and co asked for everyone to take single file into the first chicane. Something to do with danger to marshall's after previous years fatal accident.
Villeneuve, the voice of reason, said NO. They had had a year to do something but left it till eve of race.
Actually, if I may, I think it was due to Zanardi's horrible accident at that German oval that I can't type the name of... though I could be wrong.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2685594)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Villeneuve, the voice of reason, said NO.
You could accuse JV of being a lot of things, but you could never accuse him of being a 'Wuss'.
Old 6 May 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2685595)   #15
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best drivers my ass. I bet the IndyCar and sportscar boys wouldn't have any trouble with it. If this goes through, then F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport has to be called into question. Maybe if they quit waiting 30 minutes to get on track, they could have a clean run.
Old 6 May 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2685607)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All those drivers not wanting to take part can simply miss the session.
Wuss-o-rama.

This isn't like qually tyres and infinite boost.
Old 6 May 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2685609)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'd vote for taking it off the calendar completely. Monaco is a waste of time - a boring procession decided (usually) in qualifying. The only good thing about it is watching the on-board laps which shows how good the drivers have to be. But then, you could do that any-time.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 6 May 2010, 20:03 (Ref:2685612)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Actually, if I may, I think it was due to Zanardi's horrible accident at that German oval that I can't type the name of... though I could be wrong.
Lausitzring.
Old 6 May 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2685615)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if there is going to be no overtaking it might as well be at Monaco.

It should be there because it is different. Crikey. What do we want loads of Barcelonas? Different is good. I'm up for Indy and Monaco being on the calendar (and Barcelona BTW).
Old 6 May 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2685618)   #20
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Well if there is going to be no overtaking it might as well be at Monaco.

It should be there because it is different. Crikey. What do we want loads of Barcelonas? Different is good. I'm up for Indy and Monaco being on the calendar (and Barcelona BTW).
Aragon!
Old 6 May 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2685619)   #21
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I'd vote for taking it off the calendar completely. Monaco is a waste of time - a boring procession decided (usually) in qualifying. The only good thing about it is watching the on-board laps which shows how good the drivers have to be. But then, you could do that any-time.
taking away the monaco gp is like taking away the Indy 500 or Le Mans 24 hours. It's traditional, No it's not always exciting but it's part of the spine and history of F1, whether you like watching the racing there or not.
Old 6 May 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2685623)   #22
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
taking away the monaco gp is like taking away the Indy 500 or Le Mans 24 hours. It's traditional, No it's not always exciting but it's part of the spine and history of F1, whether you like watching the racing there or not.
As was the USGP, but you see what's happened to that...
Old 6 May 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2685634)   #23
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As was the USGP, but you see what's happened to that...
yes but I for one would advocate the return of that particular race-even if it was on the dreadful Indy road course. (It's better than nothing let's face it)

such grands prix should be kept, races like British, Italian, French, German, Monaco and United States grands prix deserve a garunteed place on the grid. I like moving foward but as long as we keep in touch with the past. (I'd also add Brazil to that list by the way, maybe canada, possibly Australia and Japan as well could go on the list of 'spine' races)
Old 6 May 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2685639)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Best drivers my ass. I bet the IndyCar and sportscar boys wouldn't have any trouble with it. If this goes through, then F1 as the pinnacle of motorsport has to be called into question. Maybe if they quit waiting 30 minutes to get on track, they could have a clean run.
Yawn... can't get any worse than this. I hope it gets through and the FIA finally realizes on what they have done to this season.
Old 6 May 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2685697)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think the drivers are at fault here.
I believe they have now taken the cars so far up a blind alley with the front wing aero and the small width front wheels and rearward weight distribution that they will be really "interesting" on the tight corners especially in the wake of another car.

Terminal understeer when unexpectedly overtaken maybe?

Maybe Monaco as bad as it is for overtaking may bring some sense back into racing car design as apposed to time trial machinery.

Am I just desperately clutching at straws here?