Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Nov 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3334774)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erebus Driver Safety E-Cell

Could this become standard equipment. Will be interesting to see if the seat manufacturers step their game. Costs way more?

Quote:
Erebus Motorsport’s team manager David Stuart, takes a look at the E-Cell or driver safety cell which takes driver seat protection a step further.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/11/21/...-talking-tech/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6uBeV69rPiU
Old 22 Nov 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3335144)   #2
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Could this become standard equipment. Will be interesting to see if the seat manufacturers step their game. Costs way more?

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/11/21/...-talking-tech/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6uBeV69rPiU
Wayyyyyyyyy more expensive, but really, who cares? It's a key safety item and not the area to cut corners.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3335159)   #3
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Wayyyyyyyyy more expensive, but really, who cares? It's a key safety item and not the area to cut corners.
Highlights safety deficit in Utes and what CAMS/FIA hasn't done to protect sport since Brock was killed.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3335515)   #4
Langers
Veteran

So, recon Courtney wants one of these?
Old 23 Nov 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3335527)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The re-design of the side intrusion, which has largely remained unchanged on the COTF chassis does not appear to be as effective as one would hope.

The move to the E-Cell might be a good idea.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 06:53 (Ref:3335542)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
however the side intrusion hold up well today. In what was a pretty extreme example

I dont think it would have done that as well in previous versions
Old 23 Nov 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3335552)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Nov 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3335570)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
however the side intrusion hold up well today. In what was a pretty extreme example

For sure, it's an improvement. But with the concept of efficient driver changes, and the requirement for functioning doors, it's still a compromised design. The NASCAR solution is probably the best idea for a tin top.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 08:43 (Ref:3335574)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
For sure, it's an improvement. But with the concept of efficient driver changes, and the requirement for functioning doors, it's still a compromised design. The NASCAR solution is probably the best idea for a tin top.
Let them climb in through the sunroof
Old 23 Nov 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3335603)   #10
Langers
Veteran

Hate to think what would have happened if today's crash was replicated in club level road-based machinery with standard seating position and road legal removable door bars
Old 23 Nov 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3335610)   #11
Langers
Veteran

For those experienced in cage design, why wouldn't V8SC have specified NASCAR-style door bars for the driver's side? Must be a good technical reason they prefer the cross bar design. Can't just be about driver change efficiency (I hope!!!)

Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3335626)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

The current design is half-half.

V at the top, NASCAR-ish at the bottom.

The incident in question saw a fair portion of a substantial part of the #34 car, i.e. the left rear wheel assembly, penetrate the apature where the driver enters and exits the confines of the roll cage.

The essence of V8SC racing is the two-driver endurance races. Making the apature smaller may be detrimental to the endurance concept. Mr Stuart of SBR/Erebus made mention in a recent video clip, that the implementation the E-Cell did in fact hamper the efficiency of driver changes, but in my opinion, it would be a compromise the whole field would accept.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 13:47 (Ref:3335665)   #13
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

I may be mistaken but I thought I saw a pic of the inside of the car and it shows the rollcage sideintrusion bars broke around 2 inches from where the cross is welded in.... I wouldn't say it held up "well"
Old 24 Nov 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3335906)   #14
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a little shocked to see the bars had just sjeered off where the support gussets are welded on. It's hard to say how good or bad it was though, as that impact was something seldom seen. All in all, we easily could have seen a very serious injury yesterday and for Courtney to have walked away from that collision I think it could have been a far worse situation.

If teams are bringing in ground breaking safety technology that only 3 cars on the grid are using, that has been proven, you would think the category would mandate its use though.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3335970)   #15
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like heavy damage to the cage on #22, got pics or links?
Old 24 Nov 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3336004)   #16
Langers
Veteran

Old 24 Nov 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3336257)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

From WP's FB...
Old 25 Nov 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3336276)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

I wonder if the Larry Bar would've made a difference?
Old 25 Nov 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3336306)   #19
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the introduction of COTF was supposed to make the cars safer I was surprised that the door bars dont curve out more. At present there is nothing absorbing energy in the door. It would just be another way to get the driver away from the accident a bit more. Or how about a 50mm thick aluminium honeycomb panel?

I acknowledge that JC accident was big but with any impact you need something to absorb the energy. Air does not work.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 01:51 (Ref:3336310)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Apparently they do have a honeycomb insert in the door.

Other FIA stuff like WRC, has two tubes bent in a V, and welded together in the centre to form the X. The placement of the centre of the X is virtually inside the door cavity in some cases. This sees a big improvement in energy absorbtion in side impacts.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3336320)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Let them climb in through the sunroof
NASCAR cars can have escape roof hatches/alternate exit!!!
http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ct...ety_equipment/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Hate to think what would have happened if today's crash was replicated in club level road-based machinery with standard seating position and road legal removable door bars
Just take a look at the V8Utes.... or what has CAMS done in rallying since Brock was killed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I was a little shocked to see the bars had just sjeered off where the support gussets are welded on. It's hard to say how good or bad it was though, as that impact was something seldom seen. All in all, we easily could have seen a very serious injury yesterday and for Courtney to have walked away from that collision I think it could have been a far worse situation.

If teams are bringing in ground breaking safety technology that only 3 cars on the grid are using, that has been proven, you would think the category would mandate its use though.
Some times engineers say that the cage done its job, absorbing the impact, even if it breaks... they all have max load they are designed for. Doubt cage break is a build fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Apparently they do have a honeycomb insert in the door.

Other FIA stuff like WRC, has two tubes bent in a V, and welded together in the centre to form the X. The placement of the centre of the X is virtually inside the door cavity in some cases. This sees a big improvement in energy absorbtion in side impacts.
V8SC passenger side is better that FIA spec, drivers side cage further exceeds that. Just look at a WRC 2013 or GT3 compared V8SC CoF. Bizarrely the FIA haven't beefed up roll cage spec' after the FIA Institute did crash testing for CoF.

They've had the door honeycomb for more than a couple of years. Some WRC cars have impact absorbing foam in the doors. NASCAR has 6 inchs of impact absorbing foam outside the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Maybe E-Cell needs to be longer to protect the legs, but then you would have a carbon tube inside the cage.

Maybe should have layer of foam on inside of cage along drivers legs

Looks even worse!!!!!!!

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/t...p-island-60/60

Last edited by TWRv12; 25 Nov 2013 at 03:00.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3336430)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

No wonder Mr Courtney was/is in pain!
Old 25 Nov 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3336452)   #23
TWRv12
Veteran

Old 25 Nov 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3336723)   #24
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
taken from Kelly's car, reminiscent of some big shoulder charges in League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRDq...&feature=share
Old 25 Nov 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3336776)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
taken from Kelly's car, reminiscent of some big shoulder charges in League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRDq...&feature=share
Think they said the impact speed was 90km/h? G?