Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Jun 2004, 00:34 (Ref:993370)   #1
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to historic racing, advice please.

Last year I mooted a similar thread, but as I have just sold my pre-war racer I am now thinking along these lines again.

I am seriously considering getting a car to use in Top Hat/Cloth Cap racing.

Budget to buy, circa £15,000.

Annual maintenance, circa £5,000.

Able to run mid pack.

Reliable and road useable.

Preferably FIA.

I would prefer something well sorted rather than spending a season or two getting a car race ready.

I might consider a car for the 70's series, I have a penchant for Fiat Twinkie engines.

Any thoughts to guide me? You lot certainly stimulated my brain cells last time round.

Last edited by eclectic; 4 Jun 2004 at 00:35.

Steve McQueen.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 07:26 (Ref:993553)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

I don't think there are any Fiat twinkies with the necessary homologation for Group 1 (Seventies Saloons).

Your budget would just about suit an MGB for cloth cap.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 07:54 (Ref:993575)   #3
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
What about the Fiat 124 Coupe' I remember having one circa 1972, a wonderful car, are they not homologated?

Steve McQueen.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:36 (Ref:993610)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't think they meet the criteria for Group 1 Touring Cars. Possibly due to number of doors or seats or something.

What about an Alfa of some description?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 08:30 (Ref:995895)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
for Top Hat your going to struggle to find a competitive car for that money, Unless you build your own ???

mines probably cost something approaching 15k in all honesty, and I built it my self, should be class competitive within FiA regs by the end of this year hopefully

I woulds be very tempted to go for a post historic, late 60's early 70's, the new proposed Top Hat series along with all the exisiting should make for an exciting diary, and the cars are still relatively cheap
Old 7 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:996069)   #6
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I'm seriously thinking about a 1970 1600cc twin Weber Fiat Spider, a top hat series for the 70's? Really?

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 12:47 (Ref:996121)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its for 70's Group 1 Touring Cars as I understand it. A ragtop doesn't qualify. And as its Group 1 you need a car that was homologated to those regs.

Don't know where the Spider fits because I don't believe they had a competiton history.

As to Zef's "cheap" theory. You could build one like mine for around 15k Sterling. And that is only halfway competitive. Ergo its better to go for an alfa (the 1978 FWD Alfetta comes to mind).
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:07 (Ref:996146)   #8
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I have no idea why historic racing regs are so arcane, plenty of people raced Fiat Spiders in the USA in period, surely applying all the Gp 1 touring cars homologation regs just make it more elitist and expensive?

Are the powers that be trying to bump up prices of cars they own?

I might as well carry on VSCC racing if that's the case!

(My tongue is firmly in my cheek!)

The Spider or the Coupe' would would both be eligible for the HSCC '70's series, I'm pretty ignorant on the difference between the '70's HSCC regs and Group 1.

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:13 (Ref:996150)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Group 1 is an FIA Touring Car (i.e. 4 seater saloon car) regulation and therefore could not accommodate a rag top. If the spiders raced what regs applied?

I'm not familiar with the HSCC regs but it sounds like your proposed car would fit into the Cloth Cap series. But I'd ask the organisers first. No point in going out and buying a car if it doesn't fit anywhere.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:19 (Ref:996157)   #10
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Well most domestic racing in the USA could not give a fig for FIA or its regs!

I will talk to the Cloth cap organisers and see what they think, it would be a great car to use, so much better than an MGB, mind you that's hardly a yardstick!

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:26 (Ref:996167)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
Well most domestic racing in the USA could not give a fig for FIA or its regs!
There's your answer then. Go race there!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 13:40 (Ref:996186)   #12
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
They certainly raced under SCCA rules in the US, though I don't think that the FIA has anything to do with them!

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:00 (Ref:996209)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Mike,

Its quite simple. The Top Hat regs cover many different groups but they major on FIA App K Saloon Cars. The new series for 70's Touring Cars will be (I believe) based on Group 1, so no sports cars in those two series.

I'm not sure what the regs are for Cloth Cap but I presume thay cater for the HSCC, MGCC, JEC, TSOC regs etc. and include App K. So that's where a rag top fits if it comes under the age limit. If not then HSCC 70's sports cars.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:24 (Ref:996257)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it has to be pre 66 (ie Appendix K cut off) - you will be able to do the HSCC 70's roadsports and the advantage of that is that the cars have to be almost standard so prepping should be nominal but you are not going to be able to race in Europe with it as it will not have FIA papers ....
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:25 (Ref:996259)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
by the way what happened to the car that you were going to buy last year? Last time you wrote about it the deal had effectively been done..
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:31 (Ref:996262)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Ergo its better to go for an alfa (the 1978 FWD Alfetta comes to mind).
FWD? They were rear wheel drive, with a rear-mounted transaxle, weren't they?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:39 (Ref:996271)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I thought Jon Dooley ran an FWD car. But if not then go for one of those anyway.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 14:46 (Ref:996282)   #18
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eclectic

The Bishop has sent you a message via this site. I mislaid your email address after we spoke. My aplogies but the Bishop's Palace looks like a bunch of drunken nuns (Sisters of Sin) have visited (if only!).
Old 7 Jun 2004, 16:17 (Ref:996347)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I thought Jon Dooley ran an FWD car.
That was an Alfasud; he also raced, among others, a GTV6 & a 75, both variations on the transaxle theme. (Amazing how knowledgeable a quick Yahoo search can make one appear!)

Quote:
But if not then go for one of those anyway.
Any Alfa is fine by me!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 17:10 (Ref:996420)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
LOL. I justwent to Dogpile and typed in "Jon Dooley BTCC" and came up with my own web pages!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 18:03 (Ref:996477)   #21
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I backed off, partly cos I had a health scare, but that has been sorted without too many problems.

Also I felt that I was rushing into it all..... You know, buy in haste repent at leisure!

I will have to see if I could use a Fiat coupe' that's a tin top.

Steve McQueen.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 08:32 (Ref:996993)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic
I will have to see if I could use a Fiat coupe' that's a tin top.
you'll get it down to homoogated weight in about 3 laps . . .a freind who had one said a piece fell off every time he opened or shut a door

It appears the FiA are leaning towards eliminating any non homologated cars, although there are far more of them than FiA spec cars around so there will always be a series.

typical of the Yanks to have a **** the FiA attitude . . . and I thought they loved Urup and its legislation !
Old 8 Jun 2004, 08:58 (Ref:997010)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Zef makes a good point. You don't have to go for a "historic" series. You can look at championships where a sports car of any kind can be used.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:09 (Ref:997329)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If you go to this site there's a couple of vidoes of the CTCRC pre 83 Group 1 Championship.

http://www.csccgb.co.uk/
Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:14 (Ref:997334)   #25
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
I could use a twincam spider, circa 1971, 1600cc twin webers in the HSCC 70's series and Julius's GTA Challenge.....

Steve McQueen.