Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Jun 2017, 20:53 (Ref:3740674)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Forza 7

Feel free to discuss the game here. I have specific question(s) below.

Release Date: Oct 3, 2017

I'm not a big gamer but here is some links that I found from quick searching:
https://www.theverge.com/games/2017/...pio-play-story
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/11-0...ything-we-know

I've drug my feet to purchase Forza 6 because of the unwillingness to update to Xbox 1 and the lack of time to game these days. Now that I've finally thought I was ready to purchase 6, 7 is coming out. Should I wait and just get 7? I think I have the patience.

Anyone got specifics on the tracks / cars?

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 12 Jun 2017 at 20:58.
Old 12 Jun 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3740683)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I used to be a Forza diehard, but have been distracted by other stuff around the time Forza 6 came out. Some of that is due to Forza 6 not being what I hoped it would be. So I am probably not the best person to comment. I plan to get the Xbox One X when it comes out and will likely get Forza 7 as a launch day title anyhow just... because.

Items of concern/interest...

1. They are promising at least 30 environments and a slew of cars. They tend to dribble out content via DLC. So those may not be "day one" values. I was very disappointed with the day one content for Forza 6. My take is the general excuse (maybe accurate) in that it takes time to create all of that content. I "hope" they are generally able to port the existing Forza 6 track and maybe even car content over without having to redo it all... all over again.

2. I felt the prior attempts at environment changes (i.e. rain) was half baked (not dynamic at all such as puddles that behaved the same everywhere). Time will tell if they got it right in this version. I haven't played the other stuff much like the Horizon series (which might have more dynamic environments), so maybe that may tell you what to expect.

3. It's nice to have Porsche back as a day one marque. Question is how deep will they go in the catalog. For example I am pretty sure they only have four cars prior to 1982. So no 917? Are you serious? Sometimes they add cool cars, sometimes you are left scratching your head, sometimes you wonder why specific cars are never included even if they already license other cars from the manufacture.

4. Turn 10 Studios IMHO have a habit of screwing up Forza somehow. I think it was Forza 3 or 4, but back in the day, the earlier versions were awesome, but later on they would do stupid stuff like remove popular features, or the new feature (such as matchmaking for online) just didn't work. I used to really enjoy online play, but with recent editions it seems to just be harder and hard to somehow find lobbies full of people. Maybe things have changed since I generally walked away to play other games.

My suggestion is that unless you are already a diehard Forza fan, I would personally wait to see what the reviews say before going so far as to buy a console + game. That is unless you know you plan to buy the console anyhow. Then picking up Forza with a new 1X may not be a bad thing. Assuming $60 is not going to kill you.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3740689)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be honest, Forza kinda died for me after 5. They started just using old car models and selling them as DLC. It's become the Sims of racing games. When the next game comes along you leave out cars you already made and sell them together.

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in buying a full price game, just to be sold the missing bits later. And then to add insult to injury, they'll sell me a Season Pass, which doesn't include all the content, again.

On the topic of the Forza 7 trailer....isn't this what Forza Horizons was meant to be? It seems like driving a 919 through the desert is what they're doing. The fictional track looked like every other fictional track from the last decade - long flowing corners up a silly raised road in an impossible place. It was fun...once, but now it's all fictional tracks. It's just not fun anymore on these overly extreme fictional tracks.

I own an Xbox One S. It's a great device. Forza 7 will not be joining it after the DLC micro transaction fest of Forza 6.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3740937)   #4
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks, chaps!

Even Forza 5 had some paywalls to get past. I don't play those "games", either. I'm still every now and again playing, but not a lot. I "crammed" prior to my trip to Sebring, by racing everything I could around the old air field but haven't been back since.

Also, I've not even played Forza 6. Just getting away from the gaming side of things. My sons do it enough, but that's actually when I've played Forza the most in the last 2 years.

Hmmmmmm......need to buy a go kart and shove the younger, crazier one in it. Alas, he may be too old at 7
Old 18 Jun 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3743921)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The last road racing game I played was Grid 2, launched four years ago. And I played on this laptop with no dedicated graphics card. Graphics progress is impressive.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 19:39 (Ref:3745339)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sounds like it was specifically designed to take advantage of the new generation console so thats a positive.

dont quote me on this, but it also sounds like the game will be a multi platform copy so if you buy it for your xbox1(or 1s) you will not need a new copy if/when you decide to upgrade to the xbox 1x...not sure if that also means that one copy will also work on PC/windows 10 though.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 06:44 (Ref:3745681)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Xbox One X isn't being counted as a new platform, so any games you own on the One/One S transfer over.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3768696)   #8
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'll be honest, Forza kinda died for me after 5. They started just using old car models and selling them as DLC. It's become the Sims of racing games. When the next game comes along you leave out cars you already made and sell them together.

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in buying a full price game, just to be sold the missing bits later. And then to add insult to injury, they'll sell me a Season Pass, which doesn't include all the content, again.

On the topic of the Forza 7 trailer....isn't this what Forza Horizons was meant to be? It seems like driving a 919 through the desert is what they're doing. The fictional track looked like every other fictional track from the last decade - long flowing corners up a silly raised road in an impossible place. It was fun...once, but now it's all fictional tracks. It's just not fun anymore on these overly extreme fictional tracks.

I own an Xbox One S. It's a great device. Forza 7 will not be joining it after the DLC micro transaction fest of Forza 6.
Not sure you really understand what has been going on with the games in regards to Forza 5 and it's "progression" that caused it to be what it was. Turn 10 is a Microsoft-owned company, and they see Forza as a console seller... Forza 5 was to be a launch title for the Xbox One, meaning that Turn 10 most likely spent most of their effort rushing the game to work on the new console rather than on content. I'm not at all saying that's an excuse, I didn't buy Forza 5 as I too was unhappy with the content it provided... But players complained about the old cars not returning and they started bringing them back in the DLC packs. Kind of one those "can't win" situations for them... People complain about the missing cars, then they complain about having to pay for them to get them back, then they complain about the lack of new cars as they have spent time re-modelling the old cars instead of working on new ones. Again, not saying it's an excuse or that everyone should have bought it despite the lack of content, just that it is what it is for a reason.

As for the "season pass," it was called the "car pass" and clearly stated it would contain the first 6 monthly car packs and nothing more. If you bought it expecting everything then that's on you for not reading the packaging on what you are buying. I'm not really sure why they do only the first 6 car packs in the bundle and I could see how it could be misleading if you don't read the description, but it's been that way for several titles so it's not anything new.

I agree on the new fantasy tracks being crap. Forza 1 had some good fantasy tracks, or great even like the Alpine Ring in particular, but since then all but one of the new fantasy tracks they have made have been terrible. Saying "now it's all fictional tracks" is wrong though, there are only 4 of these stupid fantasy ones (and 1 realistic fantasy one) out of 32 environments in Forza 7. I mean I'd rather replace them with real tracks too, but it's not even a big portion of the track list.

Also not sure where you are getting Forza 6 as a "DLC micro transaction fest." The microtransactions in Forza 6 could be 100% ignored... Buying the tokens only allowed you to buy cars, and the game gave you money and cars at such a high rate that I seriously can not imagine anyone being so impatient they would need to buy them. Hell, they give you several hundred thousand in-game credits every week just for clicking a button in the Forza App on your Xbox.

DLC isn't a microtransaction, and you don't have to buy it. A few of the DLC cars were fast for leaderboard times, but there are plenty of cars in the base game that were also leaderboard cars so the new ones weren't necessary if you don't want them. Alternatively, you can wait for them to go on sale (usually half price) a few months after they come out if you only want two or three cars from one of them, or just buy the cars individually for a couple of dollars.

I'm no Turn 10/Forza apologist, hell I'm most likely nearing a ban over on the official forums for taking my criticism up to the overly-sarcastic-snarky level after they have repeatedly ignored issues/areas the games are lacking... I just don't think these are valid arguments/complaints against it when most of them are exaggerated or seem to misunderstand what is happening.

There are real issues to complain about with the games (inconsistent fuel modelling, nearly non-existent tire wear, lack of precise lobby restrictions, no restrictor/ballast system, odd/inconsistent upgrade options for cars, inconsistent kerb collision-detection, etc) but the ones you mention here aren't "real" issues. Microtransactions are 100% ignorable and they don't even have a pricing structure in-game that encourages using them, and DLC is completely optional, they don't lie about what the pass contains and you don't have to buy it either, and the fantasy tracks, as crap as they are, are still a minor selection.

I realize this post may sound argumentative or aggressive or something, but I'm not really intending for it to be... But, while there are areas they need to work on, these games still provide a lot of value and have great sub-communities of racing fans that run excellent leagues and events of their own, and I'd hate to see someone turned away from the game because of a post exaggerating things and calling things incorrectly.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3768737)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Not sure you really understand what has been going on with the games in regards to Forza 5 and it's "progression" that caused it to be what it was. Turn 10 is a Microsoft-owned company, and they see Forza as a console seller... Forza 5 was to be a launch title for the Xbox One, meaning that Turn 10 most likely spent most of their effort rushing the game to work on the new console rather than on content. I'm not at all saying that's an excuse, I didn't buy Forza 5 as I too was unhappy with the content it provided... But players complained about the old cars not returning and they started bringing them back in the DLC packs. Kind of one those "can't win" situations for them... People complain about the missing cars, then they complain about having to pay for them to get them back, then they complain about the lack of new cars as they have spent time re-modelling the old cars instead of working on new ones. Again, not saying it's an excuse or that everyone should have bought it despite the lack of content, just that it is what it is for a reason.
It's almost brilliant marketing by them that they're even seen as being in a lose lose situation. They created that situation, and the way to resolve it was to sell you old stuff that they made years ago. That's absolutely incredible marketing, because they've convinced the consumer they're doing something good by bringing back old stuff, and you have to pay to get it.

It's not just that the old cars were missing, it's not just that they sold you the old cars again. It's the fact they're raising the price of a game to have less content, then selling you the old unedited content from a previous game. They didn't even bother making new car models or textures for the majority of it - they just straight up converted it over, complete with all the little inaccuracies and old racing liveries, etc. I'm not bothered if cars aren't 100% accurate, but it was a dead give away that they're just selling you stuff from old games, at additional cost, whilst making it seem like they're doing good.

It doesn't require you to be a cynical person to understand that they're purposely cutting out content that they've already made, just so they can re-sell it to you. I am 100% for DLC. I believe a developer should get paid for their work. But I am 100% against developers cutting content from the next game, just so it can be re-sold as DLC. Forza is turning into the Sims.

Quote:
As for the "season pass," it was called the "car pass" and clearly stated it would contain the first 6 monthly car packs and nothing more. If you bought it expecting everything then that's on you for not reading the packaging on what you are buying. I'm not really sure why they do only the first 6 car packs in the bundle and I could see how it could be misleading if you don't read the description, but it's been that way for several titles so it's not anything new.
Again, that's incredible marketing from their stand point. They've convinced people that a car pass doesn't contain all the cars. Games now ship with 10+ versions of each game, with multiple different pass types. It's unreasonable to expect everybody to research every game to that level. There's even discussions on dedicated Forza forums about what the best way to actually buy all the content is - when you have people unsure how you actually get all the content, it's obvious something is wrong. You shouldn't need to research a game to understand what you're buying. A car pass doesn't contain all the cars.

Before, a pass was a pass. A DLC pass got you all the DLC. A car pass got you all the cars. Now it isn't that simple, and a car pass is only good for a little while.

Quote:
I agree on the new fantasy tracks being crap. Forza 1 had some good fantasy tracks, or great even like the Alpine Ring in particular, but since then all but one of the new fantasy tracks they have made have been terrible. Saying "now it's all fictional tracks" is wrong though, there are only 4 of these stupid fantasy ones (and 1 realistic fantasy one) out of 32 environments in Forza 7. I mean I'd rather replace them with real tracks too, but it's not even a big portion of the track list.
I completely mistyped, my bad! I didn't mean every track is fictional, I meant "now it's all the fictional tracks", as in, all of the fictional tracks now follow this 'style' of being overly daft and unrealistic with long flowing corners and minimal braking zones. I am all for fictional tracks, but I much preferred the Gran Turismo route of fictional tracks (back in the day), where the majority of them were from a realistic environment. The Forza way of doing things just isn't fun for me. I prefer them to feel realistic, have sensible road layouts, good braking zones etc. These 'public' roads with high banked corners, not much fun.

Quote:
Also not sure where you are getting Forza 6 as a "DLC micro transaction fest." The microtransactions in Forza 6 could be 100% ignored... Buying the tokens only allowed you to buy cars, and the game gave you money and cars at such a high rate that I seriously can not imagine anyone being so impatient they would need to buy them. Hell, they give you several hundred thousand in-game credits every week just for clicking a button in the Forza App on your Xbox.
I've never subscribed to the idea that ignoring it makes it ok. You spent £60 on a game, plus another £60+ on DLC, and then it's still asking you for money for in-game tokens/currency. We've normalised that, and it isn't ok. Since when it's fine to spend over £100 on a game, and then the asks you to spend money money on it?

Quote:
I realize this post may sound argumentative or aggressive or something, but I'm not really intending for it to be... But, while there are areas they need to work on, these games still provide a lot of value and have great sub-communities of racing fans that run excellent leagues and events of their own, and I'd hate to see someone turned away from the game because of a post exaggerating things and calling things incorrectly.
No you don't sound argumentative of aggressive at all, and I certainly didn't read it that way. It appears we have different ideas on what we find acceptable in games (not saying my idea is right, just that we differ).

I agree that the game has a lot of technical issues that need solved, and that is a job for the developers. But the route Forza has gone down is worth complaining about as that's a marketing and financial strategy from the bosses. Forza has taken the route of "cut things out, sell it later" and purchasable in-game currency. A route popularised by the Sims* and phone games. Neither of those sets of games should be considered the standard to aim for - those are the bottom of the bottom. Forzas ambition appears to be to go downwards, rather than upwards, and create a user experience which is designed to get even more cash from the customer, rather than create the best user experience. THAT is my problem with it. The development process is more about "Can we monetise this?" rather than "Is this the best possible experience for the user?" In-game currency is a particularly impressive scam, because unlike DLC is requires no continued development from the team. So you're paying for, literally, nothing.

*The Sims is the best example to use as they reset the content every release. Sims 2 comes out, and then you buy DLC for wallpaper, carpet, pets, social clubs, college courses. Then the Sims 3 comes out, all that DLC gets wiped, and then re-sold to you. So you then by DLC for wallpaper, carpet, pets, social clubs and college courses. But they put a sticker on it saying "YOUR FAVOURITE STUFF IS BACK!" and you pay money to get the same thing, copy and pasted into the next game.

Turn10/Microsoft are not the only ones guilty of this. Ubisoft is currently doing it to Rainbow 6, with Season Passes which are only for a year. They class a calendar year as a season, so you need multiple season passes. The amount of mini-DLC packs in that is horrendous too. The only reason they're getting away with it without being slaughtered is that the major DLC is actually free (maps and characters), whilst the season pass doesn't get you anything except a weeks early access, and the mini-DLC is cosmetic only. There are lots of examples of this sort of practice and I don't think it's a good route for games to be going down. So I don't want it to seem like I'm singling out Forza here, just that the thread was about Forza.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 20 Sep 2017 at 08:07.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3768773)   #10
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's almost brilliant marketing by them that they're even seen as being in a lose lose situation. They created that situation, and the way to resolve it was to sell you old stuff that they made years ago. That's absolutely incredible marketing, because they've convinced the consumer they're doing something good by bringing back old stuff, and you have to pay to get it.

It's not just that the old cars were missing, it's not just that they sold you the old cars again. It's the fact they're raising the price of a game to have less content, then selling you the old unedited content from a previous game. They didn't even bother making new car models or textures for the majority of it - they just straight up converted it over, complete with all the little inaccuracies and old racing liveries, etc. I'm not bothered if cars aren't 100% accurate, but it was a dead give away that they're just selling you stuff from old games, at additional cost, whilst making it seem like they're doing good.

It doesn't require you to be a cynical person to understand that they're purposely cutting out content that they've already made, just so they can re-sell it to you. I am 100% for DLC. I believe a developer should get paid for their work. But I am 100% against developers cutting content from the next game, just so it can be re-sold as DLC. Forza is turning into the Sims.
Unless you have worked on the game I'm not so sure you can say it was just copy/pasted "unedited" cars from Forza 4... Some of them did have modelling errors (and still do in FM6) from their earlier scans, but they were touched up a bit and had to be adapted to the evolved physics engine. I'm not so sure any of us can really say how easy it was to put them into Forza 5, other than that it was obviously easier than making all new cars. It sure wasn't creative or exciting though either.

Again, I didn't like it either, and I didn't buy the game because of it... But just because they did it once for Forza 5 doesn't mean they are doing it every time. I am quite the cynic, but when Forza 6 came out and had somewhere around twice the car list of Forza 5 and the DLC brought a bunch of new interesting cars to the series (and admittedly a few really **** ones too), it seems like they were kinda "done" with that tactic.

Quote:
Again, that's incredible marketing from their stand point. They've convinced people that a car pass doesn't contain all the cars. Games now ship with 10+ versions of each game, with multiple different pass types. It's unreasonable to expect everybody to research every game to that level. There's even discussions on dedicated Forza forums about what the best way to actually buy all the content is - when you have people unsure how you actually get all the content, it's obvious something is wrong. You shouldn't need to research a game to understand what you're buying. A car pass doesn't contain all the cars.

Before, a pass was a pass. A DLC pass got you all the DLC. A car pass got you all the cars. Now it isn't that simple, and a car pass is only good for a little while.
I don't really like the pass system much either, and there are some games that do have different versions, but it really isn't hard to figure out for Forza. The "car pass" plainly states that it contains the first 6 packs. After that you buy the rest individually.

Maybe they should rename it? "First 6 car pack bundle" or something? The result is the same: you pay less for the first 6 car packs by committing to them for an upfront cost.

People should research what they are buying if they care. If someone is upset enough about it to complain about it afterwards and not buy future products, then that indicates they should have done their research before buying it the first time.

If they put everything for Forza 6 in a pass (10 car packs, 2 expansions) it probably would have cost somewhere around $80 and then people would have complained about how it costs as much/more than the game does... So I imagine it's a marketing thing again. I guess they figure the pass at $30 doesn't seem like too significant of an investment to scare people off/draw too many complaints.

Regardless of how it's named though I don't think it's hard to look at the content and decide whether you feel it's worth it or whether you want to wait for it to go on sale or just pass on it all together.

Quote:
I completely mistyped, my bad! I didn't mean every track is fictional, I meant "now it's all the fictional tracks", as in, all of the fictional tracks now follow this 'style' of being overly daft and unrealistic with long flowing corners and minimal braking zones. I am all for fictional tracks, but I much preferred the Gran Turismo route of fictional tracks (back in the day), where the majority of them were from a realistic environment. The Forza way of doing things just isn't fun for me. I prefer them to feel realistic, have sensible road layouts, good braking zones etc. These 'public' roads with high banked corners, not much fun.
I knew you didn't mean literally every course was, it's just that someone who hasn't been following the game closely to read that and be mislead into thinking it's mostly fantasy stuff instead of real tracks.

Fully agree otherwise though. I mean I like open-road rally stuff too, but I want to do that time-attack style on miles and miles of narrow twisty road, not in a loop on some wide-ass road with corners I barely need to brake for with other cars crashing into things.

It particularly frustrates me as Forza 1 had some great realistic fantasy tracks, and other than Maple Valley (one of the least good ones) they have all disappeared. Especially in the case of Rio, as the Forza 1 Rio was a realistic style street circuit, but our new Rio is garbage.

Quote:
I've never subscribed to the idea that ignoring it makes it ok. You spent £60 on a game, plus another £60+ on DLC, and then it's still asking you for money for in-game tokens/currency. We've normalised that, and it isn't ok. Since when it's fine to spend over £100 on a game, and then the asks you to spend money money on it?
It's not just ignoring it though as I generally agree on that point and it annoys me in other games... It's the fact that it can be 100% ignored without adversely affecting the game (there's even an option in the menu to turn off all acknowledgement of them) that makes me give it a pass.

Phone games and lots of other games are doing the microtransactions completely differently in that they push you towards them. Either limiting how many times you can play per day unless you buy more credits, or in some games making you use real money to buy "crates" that are basically gambling, those games are designed in a way to entice you into buying the credits/currency/tokens/whatever. Look at GTA for example... A new pack comes out, and a sports car is like $800k, new suit is $100k, new gun is $50k, have to buy a new office for $1.5m+ to access a warehouse that costs another $500k to $1.2m, to access new vehicles that are all $1m+ and it's obviously overpriced to push you into buying a Shark Card.

In Forza 6 the cars are priced reasonably (even ones that should be super expensive ones like 250 GTO and such) and the game throws money and free cars at you like crazy.

Again, I don't like microtransactions either and I don't want to see them pushed, but I wouldn't want someone who hasn't done research to read this thread and think "oh if this game is going to try to make me buy money like GTA (or whatever), then I don't need that" as Forza 6 did not do that at all other than the option existing. Basically, the game wasn't built around microtransactions, they were an afterthought in case someone was (and I can't put enough emphasis on this) extremely impatient, as it is super easy to make money in the game and own all the cars you want without them.

When they build the game around them and everything is priced to try to push you down that route then I too will be most likely looking for another series. As long as they continue like they are, I won't get upset over it.

Watch, they will completely re-work the economy in Forza 7 and it will actually make it hard to get money so it does push people towards the microtransactions, just to spite me.

Quote:
No you don't sound argumentative of aggressive at all, and I certainly didn't read it that way. It appears we have different ideas on what we find acceptable in games (not saying my idea is right, just that we differ).

I agree that the game has a lot of technical issues that need solved, and that is a job for the developers. But the route Forza has gone down is worth complaining about as that's a marketing and financial strategy from the bosses. Forza has taken the route of "cut things out, sell it later" and purchasable in-game currency. A route popularised by the Sims* and phone games. Neither of those sets of games should be considered the standard to aim for - those are the bottom of the bottom. Forzas ambition appears to be to go downwards, rather than upwards, and create a user experience which is designed to get even more cash from the customer, rather than create the best user experience. THAT is my problem with it. The development process is more about "Can we monetise this?" rather than "Is this the best possible experience for the user?" In-game currency is a particularly impressive scam, because unlike DLC is requires no continued development from the team. So you're paying for, literally, nothing.

*The Sims is the best example to use as they reset the content every release. Sims 2 comes out, and then you buy DLC for wallpaper, carpet, pets, social clubs, college courses. Then the Sims 3 comes out, all that DLC gets wiped, and then re-sold to you. So you then by DLC for wallpaper, carpet, pets, social clubs and college courses. But they put a sticker on it saying "YOUR FAVOURITE STUFF IS BACK!" and you pay money to get the same thing, copy and pasted into the next game.

Turn10/Microsoft are not the only ones guilty of this. Ubisoft is currently doing it to Rainbow 6, with Season Passes which are only for a year. They class a calendar year as a season, so you need multiple season passes. The amount of mini-DLC packs in that is horrendous too. The only reason they're getting away with it without being slaughtered is that the major DLC is actually free (maps and characters), whilst the season pass doesn't get you anything except a weeks early access, and the mini-DLC is cosmetic only. There are lots of examples of this sort of practice and I don't think it's a good route for games to be going down. So I don't want it to seem like I'm singling out Forza here, just that the thread was about Forza.
I agree on all the pay-for-cosmetic stuff that games are doing and the "resets" and so on... I just don't feel that Forza is a gross offender for this yet. They might become one down the road, but it doesn't seem like that day is here yet.

The "cut things out, sell them again later" thing really only happened with Forza 5. There were only a couple out of the 70~ DLC cars we received in Forza 6 that were older cars. While the car packs aren't the most inspired DLC, they do offer a fair amount of value depending on how you play the game and your taste for the cars in the individual pack.

I see Forza's bigger offense being that it is focusing too hard on appearing "shiny" for marketing rather than working on improving the core product. They do all this stuff with fancy graphics, dramatic looking things that will "wow" people who don't normally play video games, getting Top Gear on board for marketing stuff, getting the latest "hot" cars and so on... Meanwhile, they don't give us the control over tire wear, precise car balancing, and so on that I mentioned before. Rather than focusing on the making the most in-depth product and using the quality and depth to attract people to the game, they do stuff that will sound really cool to random people when they see it on a cardboard standup at Walmart.

Something that is being done very much by other games as well... Ignoring the serious loyal fans and focusing on doing flashy things to draw in new fans, while making sure everything is so simple that anyone can pick it up and play it. We end up with shallow games that are made easier/simpler to accommodate the lowest common denominator.

That being said, the Forza series games are still quite enjoyable to play and a great value in terms of $/hour despite their weaknesses.

Again, I'm not trying to say they are the greatest thing ever, just that if anyone out there is considering it, I encourage them to look into it a bit more, or if you already have an Xbox One, give it a try. It's not the most realistic or in-depth, but it has a huge amount of variety and a big community. Whether you want to replicate past liveries, be a photographer, build crazy vehicles and use them for time-attacks, or whatever, if you are a car enthusiast with a basic interest in circuit racing it would be hard not to find something to do to amuse yourself.

I've got a lot of hours of enjoyment out of them spent with car/racing-loving friends doing our own vintage race series and painting replicas of old liveries and "Top Gear-ing" the new cars into comparison tests and the like...

I help run a racing league and we have 20 or so regulars and another 30-ish part-timers... Not every one of them is amazing company or whatever, and we have to compromise a bit on the realism to accommodate all skill levels, but if anyone is getting the game and wants to give some organized (and semi-organized) racing a try let me know.

Edit: Jeeze what a wall of text...

TL;DR: I just felt the first post was a bit misleading as it made it sound as if every Forza game was a stripped down sell-you-cut-content product that pushed you into spending money on microtransactions with mostly fantasy tracks. Forza 5 was and it sucked, but that's not representative of all of them as Forza 6 was good and it looks like Forza 7 isn't falling back to Forza 5 ways either.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3768821)   #11
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As the release date approaches... This will be the first "core" Forza game (excluding Horizon's, etc) in which I will not buy on day of release. I will wait and see how it is received.

Richard
Old 22 Sep 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3769231)   #12
YMTV Racing
Rookie

YMTV Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forza 7 Suspicions

Hey guys, we have read through this entire section understanding the concerns that you guys have about the Forza 7 that will be released shortly to public. There has always been a bitterness about the car selection and the 'rinse and repeat' style that Turn 10 uses and instead of bringing new cars into the equation, they tend to look backwards. For example, the Corvette ZR1 GT car from Forza 5 will be making a return, and while nitpicking some of the favourites from previous Forza titles works, this isn't what Forza Fans look for when spending £80 on a game. They want new tracks, new cars, different weather/racing dynamics!

Good news! New tracks have been confirmed with the return of Fan Favourites; Suzuka, Mugello and Maple Valley. The gradual weather simulation is the perfection solution to having to deal with puddles on every apex which is no longer the case. The curbs can now be used to provide a smooth corner entry/exit without killing or bogging down the car. This is just to highlight key points that may sway you decision into buying the title.

A little bit about us. YMTV began at the start of this year providing a level of commentary and broadcasting service to League Organisers like ORL (onlineleagueracing.proboards.com). The traction was immense with people steering away from public lobbies to sign up for the leagues. We have a great line up for Forza 7 and if you're interested in taking part in some of the racing and competing against some if the best.

Please do follow us on twitter @YMTVracing.
Can check all of the racing seasons we have covered so far on youtube.com/YMTVracing.
All streams are broadcast live on twitch.tv/ymtvracing so you can join in as the action unfolds.

We hope this makes your Forza experience more enjoyable.

YMTV Mellish
Old 4 Oct 2017, 00:35 (Ref:3771644)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I brought it day one mainly because I took a break from gaming so missed Forza 6.

So far Im quite enjoying it. A nice variety of cars and tracks, Im so glad that Porsche is day one and that tracks like Suzuka and Maple Valley are back.

What Im not a fan of is the new homologation feature in career mode which limits you in what upgrades you can do to a car you wish to enter in a series. Part of the fun of the Forza series has been the ability to take something a bit normal such a Honda Civic and turn it into something you can beat a Porsche or a Ferrari with but with this new homologation its no longer something you can do.
Old 8 Oct 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3772977)   #14
YMTV Racing
Rookie

Get Involved! League Racing Coming Soon!

Whether you have a more competitive racing appetite or want to learn the ropes of racing - League Racing is the beginning, middle and end!

Here are some leagues that you can check out and sign up to:

deltaonlineracing.co.uk

toraonlineracing.forumotion.net

virtualsupertrofeo.com

onlineracingleague.proboards.com

Take it to another level and join with other racing enthusiasts to become part of a team! Design your own bespoke liveries for that racing authenticity and challenge people at your own skill level!

YMTV Mellish
Attached Thumbnails
Twitter poster .jpg  
Old 23 Oct 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3775807)   #15
YMTV Racing
Rookie

YMTV Recap

Here is a quick recap of what went down at Suzuka for the 1st Round of the Delta Super Minis

Race 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUNMZ3I-hU

Race 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO56iD-Vs2I

Fancy joining in action then sign up to deltaonlineracing.freeforums.net
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3804524)   #16
Alexander1987
Rookie

Alexander1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Used to be a big fan of Forza when I was younger. Stopped playing after Forza 5, has anything essential changed in the newest installment?

Regards, Alex