Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Feb 2019, 22:50 (Ref:3886062)   #4226
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's the Kevin Berry factor. He designed the MG, BMW and had a hand in the Subaru.
I also think Colin does have a major effect too. Someone who is not only clearly a very quick driver, but also an intelligent one who is good at ensuring he has the right people around him.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 23:03 (Ref:3886063)   #4227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s how he’s won three titles, including one that was never the best last season
Old 23 Feb 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3886103)   #4228
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's the Kevin Berry factor. He designed the MG, BMW and had a hand in the Subaru.
When was Berry at triple eight ?. I was under the impression it was Karl Faux who designed both the MG and Subaru.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3886111)   #4229
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
When was Berry at triple eight ?. I was under the impression it was Karl Faux who designed both the MG and Subaru.
berry was a long time 888 man going back to the vauxhalls
faux only designed the subaru
Old 23 Feb 2019, 09:07 (Ref:3886112)   #4230
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
berry was a long time 888 man going back to the vauxhalls
faux only designed the subaru
Indeed. Kevin Berry, John Waterman, John Morton etc. All successful engineers/designers with 888 who are highly regarded and have gone on to do well elsewhere.

I don't really know if BMR have anyone of that calibre anymore.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 11:30 (Ref:3886130)   #4231
JDMROB
Racer

JDMROB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much of a Plato fan as I am, I think BMR will be a lot better this year without him and his personality overshadowing things.

Sutton and Proctor will work well together and if Ash can get through the first few rounds and to Oulton with a win already and in the top 8 of the championship he'll be well on his way to another title. As mentioned though, the 2nd Thruxton is the spanner in the works.

That Subaru is not as bad as people make out
Old 23 Feb 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3886131)   #4232
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it’s more Ash was/is prepared to wring the neck out of it if he has to and that’s what has delivered results for them
Old 23 Feb 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3886132)   #4233
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I hope that Ash is on the pace again this year and it will be interesting to see how Senna gets on with JP's old 'lame duck' of a car...
Old 23 Feb 2019, 12:22 (Ref:3886135)   #4234
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are 4 Subaru chassis, though I would
Assume the two being used this season will be the Subaru owned versions.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3886138)   #4235
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
There are 4 Subaru chassis, though I would
Assume the two being used this season will be the Subaru owned versions.
They stopped racing the Sutton championship winner after 2017, he switched to the ex-James Cole shell last year.

Plato switched to the ex-Turks shell last year. Josh Price got the banana car for his early season outings.

So stands to reason Ash keeps his 2018 car, Proctor gets the ex-Turks,ex-Plato car. The 2017 winner stays a museum piece, the banana car gets left out back to rust.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3886139)   #4236
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Swindon taking care of the Scooby engines again? I got the distinct impression they weren't happy about the grumbling they were getting from BMR ( mainly Plato) last year.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3886141)   #4237
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Are Swindon taking care of the Scooby engines again? I got the distinct impression they weren't happy about the grumbling they were getting from BMR ( mainly Plato) last year.
So long as the bills are paid, they can't *not* supply them as per the agreement with TOCA to provide the spec-engine. ^^ Edit: They don't have to continue providing the bespoke Subaru engine they have done in the past however.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3886146)   #4238
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
So long as the bills are paid, they can't *not* supply them as per the agreement with TOCA to provide the spec-engine. ^^ Edit: They don't have to continue providing the bespoke Subaru engine they have done in the past however.
I am aware of all that, but it doesn't answer the question.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 16:12 (Ref:3886149)   #4239
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/141711/why-plato-came-close-to-skipping-the-2019-btcc

An interesting read. Are we going to get more Vauxhall backing and something like GSi branding?
Old 23 Feb 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3886152)   #4240
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, more BTC social media deciphering

More big news to come, with a photo focusing on Honda branding.

https://twitter.com/btc_racing/statu...830161927?s=21

Bert Taylor's tweet says the same thing but shows a shell on its side, but I'm not sure that's enough to work out whether it's an FK2 or FK8...!
Old 23 Feb 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3886153)   #4241
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VXDave View Post
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/141711/why-plato-came-close-to-skipping-the-2019-btcc

An interesting read. Are we going to get more Vauxhall backing and something like GSi branding?
Sounds more like a bit of self promotion, and comes across a little bit disdainful towards Adam Weaver / PMR's work over the last couple of seasons.

I know drivers will talk about things that happen to a team they drive for as 'we', but...

'my new team'
'everything we put in place'
'We have put the right sort of deal in place that works'
'[Plato] is also delighted to be the focal point of 'another manufacturer-supported programme with Vauxhall'
'I am proud of the fact that all of the deals that I have done since I came back to the championship after a sabbatical have been manufacturer deals that I have either pulled together or have been pivotal to the funding stream'
'We have got a new exciting brand […] I am really chuffed that we have been able to pull this all together as a competitive programme'

Now I might be wrong - but I think Vauxhall had already been brought back to the grid before Plato was anywhere near the team. The engineers were in place before Plato signed. They came third in the teams' championship before Plato was involved.

I feel for everyone who was part of the team for the last few years that their efforts are not recognised by the new 'star' who has joined them.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3886163)   #4242
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I was wondering that and if it might be Griffin branding as Vauxhall are going to introduce Griffin models across the range. They are also ,making a lot of their British brand since 1903, so the British TTC may fit with that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Feb 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3886165)   #4243
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I was wondering that and if it might be Griffin branding as Vauxhall are going to introduce Griffin models across the range. They are also ,making a lot of their British brand since 1903, so the British TTC may fit with that.

'a new exciting brand that we are bringing to motorsport' doesn't sound like something focussing on heritage from 1903?

They also only seem to be releasing Griffin on 4 of their models, and it just seems like the top spec model, rather than anything that fits well with motorsport. Particularly when they still off SRi, VX and VXR specs?
Old 23 Feb 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3886169)   #4244
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

I have been wondering this; Vauxhall are currently heavily marketing the British brand and Union Flags are a plenty. This is clearly a new strategy from new owners PSA. Tge fact that only the Astra is built in Britain is a minor technicality!

The VXR sporty brand is officially "rested"; the VXR derivatives of Corsa and GTC ceased production last year and the V8 Aussie monster is out of production too. The GSi badge has been brought back for "warm" variants.

As the Astra (like many) cars isn't shifting in stellar quantities then maybe a heavy British Vauxhall branding may be on the cards to use in marketing and try and bring some patriotic post Brexit trade into the showrooms?
Old 23 Feb 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3886172)   #4245
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elsewise, it may not be Vauxhall related. May just be a big commercial sponsor a-la Shredded Wheat, Halfords...
Old 23 Feb 2019, 19:35 (Ref:3886181)   #4246
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Elsewise, it may not be Vauxhall related. May just be a big commercial sponsor a-la Shredded Wheat, Halfords...
Well he’s got to have someone else backing wise to replace Adrian Flux as they stayed with Subaru
Old 23 Feb 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3886182)   #4247
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Or even the typical BTCC driver approach of hyping something big or major, and then it turns out to be a new brand of kitchen mop!
Old 23 Feb 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3886185)   #4248
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I predict it's going to be the return of the Astra Antibes.
Old 23 Feb 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3886189)   #4249
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
The return? It was a Nova surely? LOL
Old 23 Feb 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3886193)   #4250
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The return? It was a Nova surely? LOL
http://www.astra-mk2.com/0ddball/bro...May%201986.pdf

Last edited by touringlegend; 24 Feb 2019 at 08:00. Reason: Edited link for page width