Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Apr 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2447065)   #1
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC 'Spring Start', Silverstone, 25th April

Two 50s sports races, one for pre- & post-war GP, HGPCA Pre '66 GP, pre-war sports... very sorry I can't make it to Silverstone on Saturday. There are some details on the VSCC site here: http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccweb/news/news.jsp?id=589
Old 22 Apr 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2447146)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm hoping to be there but sans long lens which is away for repair; I'll have to see what I can capture with short lens!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2449687)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
VSCC, Spring Start - 25 April, 2009

Great cars, some good weather (although a cold wind later in the day), some very good racing and what appeared to be a very high spectator turnout, contributed to an excellent meeting for the VSCC's first race meeting of the year.

An errand of mercy for the National Editor of Autosport, who also accompanied me to the meeting, meant what was a later than usual arrival for me, and we had to queue 10 minutes to get in; it took us even longer to get out at the end of the day, so I'm betting this was the best spectator turnout that this meeting has had for some years, and in keeping with my observations about other historic meetings that I have attended so far this year. I also think that some of the grids were larger than in previous years.

I will do my usual pit and paddock shots post, but race reviews will be a bit hit and miss, because after two races, I gave up on my new camera with short lens (long lens at repairers, remember!) and resorted to my old faithful 'pit and paddock' Fuji S5000 which was last used for my 'racing' pics back in 2007, so not only limited by location choice, poor quality is assured!

Any other Ten Tenther go?
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2449710)   #4
eezzi
Rookie

England
Windsor
eezzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
vscc meeting

I marshaled the vscc event yesterday and What a wonderful sight to see all of these old and rare cars being driven to the limit ! very courtious driving from the slower cars, signaling to the faster cars and a wave of thanks when they went past . what a great days racing.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2449711)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, eezzi. Yes, it was a very good days racing.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2449835)   #6
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Silverstone from Wednesday afternoon, A brilliant HGPCA test day with plenty going on, marred only by Brian Joliffe's run in with the pit wall. The weather behaved itself until Saturday morning but manners improved as day progressed and the racing good with a very good spectator attendance.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2449997)   #7
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All together a decent week end which started Wednesday for me. Weather until Saturday morning would have to try to be better for Silverstone in April. Good racing, atmosphere and even a half decent turn out of spectators. Perhaps lessons might be learnt by other organisations from the VSCC
Old 26 Apr 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2450209)   #8
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Any other Ten Tenther go?
yes I was there John (just watching and a bit of moral support to a friend having his first outing in historics) what a cracking days racing . I started calculating the values in the garages . terrifying!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 06:10 (Ref:2450383)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

A few P&P shots:-
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 006wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 020wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 023wb.jpg  

VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 036wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 047wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 053wb.jpg  

Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:05 (Ref:2450405)   #10
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but not a good day for me. Lost traction on nat straight in wet and slide sideways into armco with GP car, and spun on entry into complex on lap one in the 17. Good lap times thereafter couldn't rescue me. One of those why do I do it days.

Test day was jolly good though.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2450409)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff there. Love the little MG PA(?) and that Vauxhall looks like it came straight off the Lands End Trial!

Can't make out the blue patina'd sports car but just goes to show there's no frills with this lot!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2450417)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Gordini. VERY noisy on the rolling road.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:19 (Ref:2450421)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Eddy McGuires ex Fangio Gordini.Pretty car but has had a few bumps since he reintroduced it to racing four years ago.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2450439)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock - 2

Yes, I was very disappointed not to see you come round, Peter (H). Obviously not as disappointed as you though!

Peter (M), the MG is listed as a 1100cc Supercharged Magnette.

Very pleased to see that I've woken you up, Mr Ruston, sir! I met up with Ian (very briefly) and John Polson. John and I agreed that you should have been there! They were not all VSCC specials by any means. Some great original cars including a few Altas.

I'm surprised no-one has commented on the 1954 Leco (DER 300). Powered by a 1460cc (MG XPAG?), it was a completely new car to me. I rather think that TimD will know all about this, but sadly, he is a rare visitor here these days

Anyway, a few more!
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 052wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 059wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 072wb.jpg  

VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 073wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 079wb.jpg   VSCC - Silverstone - 25 April 2009 080wb.jpg  

Old 27 Apr 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2450457)   #15
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Nice shot of both of Mr Attwoods' charges for the day including a win in the GP Aston.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 08:59 (Ref:2450473)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Peter (M), the MG is listed as a 1100cc Supercharged Magnette.
Interesting, it's in "Cream Cracker" colours and I don't think they ran any K3's in that team. I'll happily stand corrected of course because my books are miles away.

Thanks Terry, figured it was French from the colour.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2450500)   #17
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
some very tasty looking cars there, the Gordini and Riley especially
Old 27 Apr 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2450603)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Excuse,I was on Tour Auto .The Sports car race lap times were interesting.AVD doing fastest lap of race on last lap.What happened on the other laps is beyond me!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2450636)   #19
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Eddy McGuires ex Fangio Gordini.Pretty car but has had a few bumps since he reintroduced it to racing four years ago.

That isn't Eddie McGuire's Gordini. As far as I can tell that's an OSCA

The MG is a blown N Type special built some years ago by marque expert Mike Allison and driven by his daughter Jane. The colours are those of the "Cream Cracker" trials and TT NE cars in reverse.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2450640)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks James an "N type" Magnette then.

I've got Mike's book, just that it's about 2000 miles away at the moment.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2450650)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholland View Post
That isn't Eddie McGuire's Gordini. As far as I can tell that's an OSCA

Well,,,,errrr,yes,your quite right,it is an O.S.C.A.Just checking to see who's paying attention.

[Must remember to click on image for larger version]
Old 27 Apr 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2450672)   #22
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The GP Aston is such a beautiful car. The noise and the shape it's just amazing.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2450689)   #23
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think AVK either had a rush of blood to the head of the timing system went wonky.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2450738)   #24
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue car is not the Gordini, it is a 1500 OSCA, driven by a German, named Rettenmier. he and his brother have raced pre war MG's and one has a Maserati 250F. Leco driven by American, Alex Quatllebaum, cream sports car is an Elva Mk3, MG belongs to Mike Allison, driven by daughter, Jane Metcalfe.
A very good days sport, only 3 accidents to bother us scrutineers. Sorry but I was too busy to catch up with any Ten Tenths people, with scrutineering, and watching son Jarrah in his first pre-war car, and first pre selector gearbox. The 15 year old tyres were slow in practise, but he finished 4th, from 19th on grid.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2450739)   #25
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I meant to say, in the Norris Alta, No: 226