Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 22 May 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3251555)   #1
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Forza Motorsport 5

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US...ort_5_Announce
http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/media/photo

Xbox One launch title in 2013.

Old 22 May 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3251731)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh, this looks sexy as hell. Not a lot more to say about it at this point!

I just hope all the little touches like the tyre wear and stones flicking up aren't just for this video.. I want all of this in-game!

Selby
Old 22 May 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3251875)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Where they're racing in that trailer, it looks like Prague.
Old 24 May 2013, 05:15 (Ref:3252508)   #4
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame it is going to be released exclusively on a console that currently has no marketable value. It does look great but that DriveClub game looked even better.

I really don't understand what MS are doing with 'One'. They've given all the advantages they had to Sony.

I'm a Sony fan and even I am a bit concerned about what Microsoft have done here. This marketing launch has been terrible. Sony and Nintendo have the games and heritage to survive if things go a little bit wrong (it did for the first 3 years of the PS3 and Nintendo are always cocking up). I'm not sure Microsoft have the depth to make many mistake and get away with it.
Old 24 May 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3252662)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Wow, for gamers, this is heaven. Bathurst is about to be released on iRacing, GT6 is coming out this autumn, and now Forza 4... amazing!
Old 26 May 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3253330)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Shame it is going to be released exclusively on a console that currently has no marketable value. It does look great but that DriveClub game looked even better.

I really don't understand what MS are doing with 'One'. They've given all the advantages they had to Sony.

I'm a Sony fan and even I am a bit concerned about what Microsoft have done here. This marketing launch has been terrible. Sony and Nintendo have the games and heritage to survive if things go a little bit wrong (it did for the first 3 years of the PS3 and Nintendo are always cocking up). I'm not sure Microsoft have the depth to make many mistake and get away with it.
I think Microsoft have gone the correct route tbh. A console these days has to be so much more than a gaming machine (as much as none of the features they incorporate are of any use to me).

Microsoft made a horrendous error with the RROD on the 360 and have still won the war of the last generation of consoles. That was a major disaster for them.

The fact is, none of the consoles has any great, exciting games anymore. It is all rehashes of old franchises and people will just stick to what they liked best. It is all very stale and dull.

It is Nintendo who are in the worst position, I fear. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has bought their new console since Christmas.
Old 26 May 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3253523)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm with Knowlesy here, MS has realized the gamers will buy the system they are passionate about; for growth it's about building a better media device as well as games. For me the tough thing is making a system that does games, streaming movies, music and tv, and has adaptability for whatever future uses they think of without doing what Sony did with the PS3 and flooring people with the price. Not realizing they were listening to game publishers, and their singular and VERY short-sighted needs, too intently and not coming out and saying used games will be useable could be the dumbest move ever. Telling people they can't bring a game to friends house or even renting games at Redbox or Gamefly could be a disaster even if it ends up being completely abandoned. But then I've pretty much given up on games and was bored at 30% of FM4 when it just got repetitive and haven't found any new games that interest me anymore so maybe I'm not their target audience except I use the Netflix and ESPN3 apps about every day.
Old 26 May 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3253690)   #8
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the approach is fine but the implementation is terrible. Having to pay for live is bad enough but a used game fee? All Sony have to do is not do that and they've won back a lot of their fans.

Added to that, what games has the xbox got? The 360 has already struggled in the last 3 years due to a lack of games outside Halo, Forza and Gears.

I'm just really unimpressed with the new gen of consoles. I'm not excited by the PS4 yet and a lot of the new xbox features just seem to attack console gamers rather than giving them easier access compared with PC.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3253720)   #9
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still run on fm4 and f1 2012 everyonce in a while, this new console looks interesting but so did the ps3 and the vita but I never went out and got one.im not looking foward to the price, and it will take a lot more info and game time to get me to buy the consol and game.the big thing that got me into Xbox and fm was the Le Mans and alms cars.if it has a weak car list in those categories then I won't be interested.
Old 26 May 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3253721)   #10
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was that hindy I hear in the video? Nice touch....
Old 27 May 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3253754)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think after the complaining about not having Porsches at launch will convince them to work with EA to extend the sharing agreement, although I'm not sure what FM had to share to get the Porsche license from EA. And I can't see a way the ALMS/GA/USCR wouldn't make the cut for the game given FM4 on the 91 car and their involvement with the ALMS. Betting we wll see a couple FM5/One demo units at Petit this fall and maybe more races depending on when it launches.
Old 27 May 2013, 04:12 (Ref:3253801)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How has the XBox struggled due to lack of games the last three years? It really hasn't. It has a fraction less exclusives than Sony, plus all the rest. It is Nintendo who have struggled in that regard.

Paying for Live isn't exactly a problem either. I think mine works out at about a pound a month and it is worth it for me. It also means slightly less utter spazzes in the online lobbies, although doesn't quite eliminate them. Perhaps they should charge more.

The used games thing I totally agree on though, that has been rumoured for a while though. Sony were also considering it but could easily just not bother and steal a march on MS. It is a shame greedy game shops haven't worked out something with the developers to avert this. Basing your entire business on used games and then not sharing profit with the developers is stupid, because people like me just pick up the used games on the cheap rather than buy on release day.
Old 27 May 2013, 05:44 (Ref:3253821)   #13
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
How has the XBox struggled due to lack of games the last three years? It really hasn't. It has a fraction less exclusives than Sony, plus all the rest. It is Nintendo who have struggled in that regard.
It just seems that way to me. It just seems that the 360 run out of steam a couple of years ago whereas the PS3 hit its peak about a year ago. I guess a lot of that is down to the fact that the 360 was the first on the market and this generation has gone on a bit. I agree that Nintendo are well behind Sony and MS though.

Quote:
Paying for Live isn't exactly a problem either. I think mine works out at about a pound a month and it is worth it for me. It also means slightly less utter spazzes in the online lobbies, although doesn't quite eliminate them. Perhaps they should charge more.
My main objection to the 360 was always having to pay to play online. It isn't a ton of money but the service is equally as good through the PSN now. The only really advantage I can see with live is how achievements are redeemable for DLC etc. That was a great idea, especially for someone like me who goes through phases of trying to unlock everything on certain games.

Quote:
The used games thing I totally agree on though, that has been rumoured for a while though. Sony were also considering it but could easily just not bother and steal a march on MS. It is a shame greedy game shops haven't worked out something with the developers to avert this. Basing your entire business on used games and then not sharing profit with the developers is stupid, because people like me just pick up the used games on the cheap rather than buy on release day.
I do it too or wait until the price comes down in supermarkets. Sainsbury's are pretty good for doing that.

I agree in some ways regarding your point about second-hand game shops not splitting the profit but it only seems to be in the entertainment business that this problem arises. Actually, it seems very particular to gaming. I've never heard of this business model being talked about in regards to DVDs, CDs or even cars and there are plenty of places that sell on those commodities second-hand without a thought for the original distributor/maker.

It raises a fundamental question for me. Why should the original publisher/developer see any sort of return for second-hand sales? Surely, they've already seen their end of the deal fulfilled through the original sale and then it is the property of the buyer and it is up to them what they do?
I think it has far more to do with greedy publishers like Activision, EA etc gaining a monopoly in the market but then paying their development teams hardly any money which leads to the devs pushing for other ways to make money for the publisher.

It is very odd how the biggest publishers with the biggest profits have scalped the most money out of gamers during this generation. Capcom seem obsessed with first day-DLC. Activision over-charge their DLC and EA have always been rather unethical. Are EA really losing money due to people not buying a game 'new'? I doubt it very much as millions of copies of Fifa get sold every year which is precisely why you see them in the bargain bin for £2 a couple of years later.

Last edited by beau1; 27 May 2013 at 05:49.
Old 27 May 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3254118)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I agree, it is odd that the bigger games companies are the ones stamping their feet. But then, perhaps it isn't that odd really...

But if it protects the smaller games companies then maybe it is worth it. It is they, after all, who tend to bring originality to the table.

The profit sharing thing is tricky because, as you say, why should developers get money back on something they have already profited from? But the games shops need to be fairer. Quite simply, they need to give new games a chance to shine.

But the problem is, in order to compete with companies like Amazon, they need a lower price point and that is why used games are pushed so hard. My local branch of Game, I estimate, dedicates 80% of its shelving to used games. That can't be right and it does hurt game companies who aren't producing annual FIFA games. But it is the only way for Game to survive, because that is where all their profit is. So what do you do?

Maybe it would be better if high street game shops went to the wall. People seem happier to buy new online, rather than second hand. But that would be a shame, if only game shops and game publishers could work together to benefit the customer.
Old 28 May 2013, 00:12 (Ref:3254282)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My understanding is that One will be Always-Online. I wonder if they're going to effectively force people to get a Live subscription, by making that the route by which everything runs most smoothly by a significant margin.

I am dubious of what may happen with the FM contract with ALMS, since the ALMS, as such, will cease to exist. NASCAR has normally done their stuff through EA. We might get Porsche that way, but what would we lose? EA has been another group forcing Always-Online, which still isn't practical in MANY locales in reality.
Old 28 May 2013, 00:33 (Ref:3254288)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
My understanding is that One will be Always-Online. I wonder if they're going to effectively force people to get a Live subscription, by making that the route by which everything runs most smoothly by a significant margin.

I am dubious of what may happen with the FM contract with ALMS, since the ALMS, as such, will cease to exist. NASCAR has normally done their stuff through EA. We might get Porsche that way, but what would we lose? EA has been another group forcing Always-Online, which still isn't practical in MANY locales in reality.
The press kit said always online was dropped early on, but games can request a once a day verification connection. FM3 became an always online game for me after a couple of the DLC car kits were downloaded, not sure which ones wouldn't stay downloaded but with no connection it wouldn't load my game and logged me out. I had to start another game to play when the network was out which was often in August when Comcast was switching apartments off and on with college students moving.
NASCAR didn't stop FM4 from having Cup cars and try to get liveries taken down. But I wasn't sure who would hold the rights to license the actual cars, does Chevy/P&M retain the GT car license or is it something the teams give to the ALMS by joining? Losing Road Atlanta and Sebring would suck if they felt like playing hardball over the price though.
Old 28 May 2013, 02:31 (Ref:3254311)   #17
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
Was that hindy I hear in the video? Nice touch....
It was indeed.
Old 28 May 2013, 04:45 (Ref:3254328)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Broadrun, I was thinking more of the official NASCAR games, but thank you anyway for clearing some things up.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3261365)   #19
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
E3 FM5 trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FPknkQ5H-U

Forza's Drivatar system is explained:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2...atar-explained

We have open-wheel, including IndyCar and some classic F1 cars like the Ferrari and McLaren featured in Rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnK_u5s30_g
Old 12 Jun 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3261741)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It does look good in some ways I must admit.

But I am done with gaming now I think, this generation of consoles is not for me.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 22:19 (Ref:3261816)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It looks really cool and would love to try the openwheel cars but the cost of the system and game isn't going to be worth it given how little I played FM4. It does seem like gaming may have passed me by and better off saving the money. And yes, just thinking that made me feel really old suddenly.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3261818)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I know the feeling.

But we have been lucky enough to have experienced some major leaps in gaming. Those days are gone but we were there, back in the day.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3261860)   #23
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Yeah, and it really hits you looking at cell phones versus our old PCs. My first PC at the house was a Radio Shack/Tandy TRS80 color computer with cassette drive and the new fancy ROM cartridges. Not quite as realistic as FM even, never mind FM5.
Old 6 Sep 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3299854)   #24
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
This thread has been dead for a few months, so I guess it's time for some minor updates.

At Gamescom it was confirmed that FM5 will be getting Spa-Francorchamps, which has been the most heavily-requested track by far for some years. We basically figured it out before it was official, but now it's official.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/60786/forza-mot...w-screenshots/

However, we weren't shown video or even photos of Spa at Gamescom. We did get some shots and videos of the updated Laguna Seca model.

More recently, it was announced that Bathurst will also appear in FM5. This is another of the most-requested tracks, and a fine addition to the game. Turn 10 did post one image. They also announced that they are entering an Xbox One racing team in the Bathurst 1000, with Andy Priaulx and Mattias Ekstrom in the cockpit.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US...t_Announcement

Old 6 Sep 2013, 22:30 (Ref:3300040)   #25
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Damn, if it was an 360 game used a couple weeks later could be worth it for Spa but for a whole system and the game I think I'll have to sadly pass. Bought FM4 but think I made it under 50% of the way through, think leveling up to max level so fast made the rest boring and repetitive. And I got all achievements in FM1-3 but bored in FM4? Maybe I'm just getting old.