Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Jun 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3655596)   #76
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is a picture:
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/la-...e-un-peu-plus/
Old 28 Jun 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3655599)   #77
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto View Post
Porsche is testing in Monza...... from what I saw engine should be placed in the middle and turbocharged
NO NO NO, the Earth is Flat. The Earth must stay flat!!!!
Old 28 Jun 2016, 13:51 (Ref:3655600)   #78
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given we knew it was a 911, I can't explain why I still hoped it would end up being less... 911.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2016, 14:37 (Ref:3655614)   #79
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Proportions look no different to a rearish engined 911. I too was hoping for something more GT1ish
Old 28 Jun 2016, 14:46 (Ref:3655616)   #80
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Proportions look no different to a rearish engined 911.
The rear end and engine bay area look slightly different.
Quote:
I too was hoping for something more GT1ish
Nah! ACO would never allow it and there would be a tremendous backlash and gnashing of teeth with people running around screaming that the sky is about to fall on our heads because the costs would go through the roof.
Also - Porsche are wedded to the 911 shape for GTE.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3655625)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not saying it can't be done, but there doesn't look to be a great amount of space between the rear axle line and the back of the driver. Ideas on how to make this work...

1. More space than appears so it's actually a non-issue. Nothing special needed.
2. Given the turbo four in the 919 and the new turbo four in the street cayman/boxster, what is the chance this will be a turbo four (shorter engine)?
3. Slide it all backwards a bit and have a slight rearward angle on the axles.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3655627)   #82
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
The rear end and engine bay area look slightly different.
Oh you mean like every other 911 ever? *Sorry for the easy 911-never-changes joke.*

Quote:
Nah! ACO would never allow it and there would be a tremendous backlash and gnashing of teeth with people running around screaming that the sky is about to fall on our heads because the costs would go through the roof.
Also - Porsche are wedded to the 911 shape for GTE.
Just to be clear, you're referencing the Ford GT, correct?

By GT1 I was referring to the actual Porsche 911 GT1, not just the class itself. Admit it. We all wanted to see a front half 911 and a back half swoopy dream car. No, not a Cayman.

The more I look at the pic, the more I think it looks more rear engined than ever. I see the diffuser and wing position indicating the engine has been shifted to better take advantage of new rules, but that's it.

Last edited by seanyb505; 28 Jun 2016 at 16:06.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3655628)   #83
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Oh you mean like every other 911 ever? *Sorry for the easy 911-never-changes joke.*
Porsche never change. They evolve.

Quote:

By GT1 I was referring to the actual Porsche 911 GT1, not just the class itself. Admit it. We all wanted to see a front half 911 and a back half swoopy dream car. No, not a Cayman.
No. I was referring to the Porsche GT1. Can you imagine a car with the front of the 911/991 and the rear of a prototype? It would create havoc and much consternation.
I keep praying that this is only an interim car until (one day) Porsche see the viability and develop their mid-engine road car
Old 28 Jun 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3655629)   #84
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I assumed you both were talking about the original mid-engine 911 GT1.

Quote:
Admit it. We all wanted to see a front half 911 and a back half swoopy dream car. No, not a Cayman.
To be honest my preference (in order) is...

1. Totally new car that fits between the 911 and 918. It would be mid-engined and while having classic Porsche elements, would be it's own car and not a mid-engine 911 or a super Cayman.
2. Cayman
3. 911 (road car layout)
4. 911 (GTE mid-engine special)

And I am not a fan of either #3 or #4 at all. But I have sadly and reluctantly accepted Porsche's inability to move beyond the 911 in GTE.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3655655)   #85
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Why can't they just run a non-hybrid 918 and call it a day? Ford's GT will be around 500k. So Ferrari should make the F12 GTE, Vette are testing a mid-engined car, Aston should run a Vulcan and McLaren a P1 LM sans hybrid. Cars are too expensive right? But it's the manufacturer's that're the teams or at least their satellite teams. I'm in dreamland, sorry.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3655657)   #86
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Update the 917/30, with addition of roof and headlight decals. 917/40 or whatever. BoP that!
Old 28 Jun 2016, 22:12 (Ref:3655678)   #87
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Why can't they just run a non-hybrid 918 and call it a day? Ford's GT will be around 500k. So Ferrari should make the F12 GTE, Vette are testing a mid-engined car, Aston should run a Vulcan and McLaren a P1 LM sans hybrid. Cars are too expensive right? But it's the manufacturer's that're the teams or at least their satellite teams. I'm in dreamland, sorry.
I like your idea, also it is the best way to differentiate of GT3
Old 28 Jun 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3655682)   #88
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I don't like the idea of the slippery slope we are on with respect to homologation specials. Specifically ones that in reality may not match production cars (already extensively discussed in this forum). If we must live with BoP, then start with true production cars and not cars that are designed first as race cars and then homologated into a production cars (which may or may not ever really exist).

Until this move, I thought Porsche was staying true to the intent of the class. While I am critical of their reliance upon the 911 platform for GT racing, they are (or have been) consistent in how they go about it. They basically provide multiple levels of development for the 911 be it GTE, GT3, Cup Car, etc. For them it has been about promoting the brand and a specific car. And while they clearly homologate it off something like the GT3 RS (or whatever is the homologation source these days), the race cars are fundamentally similar to the production cars. I think Ferrari has generally been the same.

This is poorly worded, but an arms race in a series that uses BoP doesn't make much sense to me. I "do" think that each manufacture should be expected to bring a car of some specific engineering level "in the road car form". So if Foobar Motor company shows up with a GTE version of some lame stone age car, don't expect it to be balanced to the point it is really competitive. You gotta at least "try" to show up with a naturally quick car. But an ongoing and rapid raising of this bar is not healthy?

I am rambling, anyhow...

In short, it should be first and foremost about racing versions of "mass produced" cars. And not about cars designed for the class and then produced in limited numbers, or waivers that fundamentally change the identity of the source car (i.e. mid-engine 911).

Richard
Old 29 Jun 2016, 01:49 (Ref:3655703)   #89
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Not saying it can't be done, but there doesn't look to be a great amount of space between the rear axle line and the back of the driver. Ideas on how to make this work...

1. More space than appears so it's actually a non-issue. Nothing special needed.
2. Given the turbo four in the 919 and the new turbo four in the street cayman/boxster, what is the chance this will be a turbo four (shorter engine)?
3. Slide it all backwards a bit and have a slight rearward angle on the axles.

Richard
Pretty valid point. Any chance they've kept the engine at the rear and slid the whole assembly further forward? I don't see the room, at least not from the perspective of that picture.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 01:50 (Ref:3655704)   #90
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another pic from twitter shows a different angle:

https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/747863919117668352
Old 29 Jun 2016, 05:57 (Ref:3655719)   #91
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Why can't they just run a non-hybrid 918 and call it a day?
I remember reading somewhere that Porsche thought of that , but concluded that it was too expensive (don't know how, but that is what was claimed).
I suspect the decision to opt for the continuation of the 911 "development" is based on marketing reasons rather than pure accounting.
The 918 is a halo car that has reached the end of its production cycle. The 911 is the backbone of Porsche (although it NOT the TOP seller).
Porsche is traumatized by its experience in the late 70's when it tried to substitute the 911 with the 928. It was complete and utter failure (especially among Porschephiles who happen to be amongst the most conservative aficionados in the world of sportscars).
The Company almost went bankrupt and Porsche learned their lesson. Unfortunately this decision to fiercely "protect" the 911 also brings with it far less strategic flexibility . I'm sure that eventually Porsche will come up with a mid-engine car (not just a halo car), but I expect to only see tiny little baby steps in that direction until eventually someone at Porsche has the testicular fortitude to run the gauntlet.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 09:40 (Ref:3655738)   #92
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The vents at the top of the rear screen do suggest some sort of mid-engined cooling requirement, maybe.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...urbo-at-monza/
Old 29 Jun 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3655741)   #93
88racing
Rookie

United Kingdom
nr Milton Keynes, UK
88racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT3 version of the new Panamera...?
Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:22 (Ref:3655769)   #94
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche never change. They evolve.

No. I was referring to the Porsche GT1. Can you imagine a car with the front of the 911/991 and the rear of a prototype? It would create havoc and much consternation.
I keep praying that this is only an interim car until (one day) Porsche see the viability and develop their mid-engine road car
Um...they have a mid engined road car. Two of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3655770)   #95
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post
Um...they have a mid engined road car. Two of them.

Um...not at the level of the 911.
My apologies if I was not being clear. What I was talking about is the rumored 960 or FeFI that was supposed to sit in between the 911 and the 918.

Last edited by Spyderman; 29 Jun 2016 at 15:47.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3655771)   #96
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA

Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3655772)   #97
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
Do they have to now make their entire line up of sports cars mid engined.

Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3655774)   #98
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
And the Cayman gt4 is pretty darn close to the 911 these days

Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3655776)   #99
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
The GT4 is an outstanding car. However, it is aimed at a clubsport clientele in its racing version. As a road car it is equally fantastic , but it is close to the Carrera/S. It doesn't quite compete with the more upmarket/sportier 911's.
Having said that, it is currently my favorite Porsche.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3655777)   #100
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidder View Post

918 is a halo car and has finished its limited production run.