Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 May 2003, 16:42 (Ref:587672)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mary Wheeler

I’ve just caught sight of this forum, and my mind was immediately filled with sadness. Just a few weeks ago, I heard that Mary Wheeler had died.

Now, let me say right now that I did not know her very well. However, anything I can remember of her generated warmth and enthusiasm. I’m hoping that one or two with very good memories might find and connect with this site and put something down for posterity.

I met her when I was fortunate enough to be racing for a chap in Brighton still racing a Lotus 20 today by the name of F R C ‘Fred’ Boothby. He let me have a go in a Lotus 17 Climax of which he had two, and then we went off and purchased an F3 Tecno. This was about 1967-8.

Fred introduced me to the grandmotherly figure of Mary one sunny day in her little cottage just off the old A23 near Hickstead. She had lost her husband and was looking after her son who was afflicted with a disease I know nothing off, but he was a pretty much a fulltime job. This dear quaint lady’s pride and joy however lurked in the garage. It was a sparkling red wire-wheeled MGB-engined TVR Vixen and yes, she raced it.

And the moment Fred introduced me as ‘his driver’, she said ‘oooh, you really must try this’ pointing to the TVR. Well for whatever reason and not a little to do with the appalling thought of damaging her beautiful car, I never did, but I will never forget the ample tea she prepared and the gusto given to her description of her racing exploits. I also heard of her terrific efforts in fund raising for the Association that looked after her handicapped son, and she was also I believe, a cornerstone of the Women’s Racing Drivers Club and the Dog House Club, both of which raised serious sums of money for good causes.

With the passage of time and the narrow minded commitments asked of us, sometimes we miss something or someone who joyous inputs make a real difference to others. I really miss now, not knowing Mary Wheeler well.

As a footnote, I’m delighted to say, I met Fred Boothby in the paddock at Silverstone last week, and I’ll certainly rattle his cage to add some more here soon. Again, I hope others will too.

Last edited by gfm; 2 May 2003 at 16:44.