Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Feb 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1527805)   #1
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
ChrisChilcott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Lotus 20 I am researching the history of. It competed in various European hill climbs driven by Silvio Moser & then Aldo Pessina - does anyone know where to find contemporary hill climb results for 1962 through 66?

Last edited by John Turner; 21 Feb 2006 at 09:52.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1527817)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome, Chris; best to start a new thread, I think!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1527934)   #3
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
Thanks John. If a new thread I should maybe elaborate a little. This particular Lotus 20 (20-J-968) was owned from new by Silvio Moser from April 62 until mid July 62 - He apparently crashed in qualifying for the Trento Bondone hill climb (date ???) & the car was badly damaged. I have some of the 1962 results via the Silvio Moser web site run by Beat Shenker & the F2 web site, however hill climb results are not always listed beyond the top few places.
The car was bought from Moser (Who apparently bought another, presumably 2nd hand 20 from Jo Siffert) by Aldo Pessina. Aldo tells me he repaired & ran the car in various Swiss hillclimbs & Slaloms (Sprints) until 1966, initially as FJ then as an F3. I have been in contact with Aldo but he , not surprisingly, cannot remember which events he competed in - apart fom the car being sent to the Argentine for the Temporada series in early 1964.
Any help greatly appreciated - I have been trying to get hold of copies of SprintAuto & other contemporary magazines with no success.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1528033)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Try Motoring News & Autosport

Chris, surprisingly both Autosport and Motoring News (as was) covered the European Hillclimb Championship in the 60s. You could also seek out Motor Sport magazines as they also carried reports but maybe not as regularly.

You may struggle to get 'full results' but the European Hillclimb class plus the class winners were nearly always listed in the event results.

What do you intend doing with the car? Racing or hillclimbing?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1528064)   #5
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
Thanks Steve, I've got Motor Sport going back to '58 I think - I'll check but I don't think all the Hill Climbs Moser competed in were rounds of the European HC Championship - also the results generally only give the fastest climbs - I dont think the FJ cars were in the top 10.
I've been racing last season, my first season with an FJ having previously raced a 1926 chain gang Frazer Nash - its been a steep learning curve & I'm nowhere near the top!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1528182)   #6
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steep learning curve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChilcott
Thanks Steve, I've got Motor Sport going back to '58 I think - I'll check but I don't think all the Hill Climbs Moser competed in were rounds of the European HC Championship - also the results generally only give the fastest climbs - I dont think the FJ cars were in the top 10.
I've been racing last season, my first season with an FJ having previously raced a 1926 chain gang Frazer Nash - its been a steep learning curve & I'm nowhere near the top!
Try Trento-Bondone if you want a steep learning curve!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1528187)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
European Hillclimb Rds

1962 - Farnovo-Monte Cassio; Freiburg-Schauinsland; Gaisberg; La Faucille; Mont Ventoux; Ollons-Villars; and Trento-Bondone.

1963 - Cesana-Sestriere; Freiburg etc; Gaisberg; Mont Ventoux; Ollons etc; Rossfeld; and Trento etc

1964 - Cesana etc; Freiburg etc; Gaisberg; Mont Ventoux; Rossfeld; Sierre-Montana Crans; and Trento etc

1965 - Cesana etc; Freiburg etc; Gaisberg; Mont Ventoux; Ollons etc; Rossfeld; and Trento etc

1966 - Cesana etc; Freiburg etc; Gaisberg; Mont Ventoux; Rossfeld; Sierre etc; and Trento.

You can start trying to track these down.

Best of luck.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1528208)   #8
roger saretzki
Rookie

roger saretzki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi chris
i have a lot original raceprogramms and results from 65-69 hillclimbs .
where are you from , if not to far away you can have a look yourself.................

by the way do came across the name eduard (edy) wahl , he raced a lotus
27 (build 63 ) in many swiss hillclimbs in 66 and 67 . i have many fotos of the car and ALL results of the time . at the moment i dont know the history
of the 27 -----------any help?
Old 21 Feb 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1528213)   #9
roger saretzki
Rookie

hi again
i live in the south of germany , very close to switzerland

regards roger
Old 21 Feb 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1528270)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autocourse 62 has 11 page report of European Mountain Championship-first 6 in each round -sorry no mention of any Lotus 20s.
63 more details several Lotus but no indication of which models!
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1528858)   #11
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Try Trento-Bondone if you want a steep learning curve!
I would love to do the Trento Bondone - In fact they have a FJ class, however I think it would be prudent to get a few more circuit miles in first. I did the Mendola hill climb in my Nash in 1979 - Fantastic.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1528863)   #12
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger saretzki
hi chris
where are you from , if not to far away you can have a look yourself.................

27 (build 63 ) in many swiss hillclimbs in 66 and 67 . i have many fotos of the car and ALL results of the time . at the moment i dont know the history
Thanks Roger,

I live in Scotland so am some distance away - maybe we could meet at one of the European Historic races - Oldtimer or I am hoping to go the Monza in May.
Ref the Lotus 27 - I have not heard of Eduard Wahl. However the car may still exist - I'll check with Duncan Rabagliati, I'm sure he would be interested in the photos.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1528872)   #13
ChrisChilcott
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger saretzki
hi chris

Thanks Roger,

I live in Scotland so am some distance away - maybe we could meet at one of the European Historic races - Oldtimer or I am hoping to go the Monza Historic meeting in May.

Aldo Pesina would have been driving the car then but he says he only competed in Swiss events - however his name appears at several race meetings in 1965 but he appears to have either not stated or not qualified. I found this information via the F2 web site.

Ref the Lotus 27 - I have not heard of Eduard Wahl. However the car may still exist - I'll check with Duncan Rabagliati, I'm sure he would be interested in the photos.
Regards Chris
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1528953)   #14
roger saretzki
Rookie

hi chris
i dont know when monza is , but when you drive through basel , there are only a few extramiles (45) .
in may i go to the monaco historis event.............
rogerracing@web.de

regards roger