Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Oct 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2308308)   #1
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 5 best rising stars for F1

I saw the british f3 top 6 thread, and i thought of making a top 5 best young rising stars for the future in open wheel racing, mainly for the future to be in F1. Will give it a go. I reckon it will be interesting to see how people think will be the top 5 best young guns.

1)Ricciardo
2)Ericsson
3)Hulkenberg
4)Bamber
5)Grunwell (not many people know him, but he is growing and is challenging and beating Bamber in Formula V6 asia)
Old 10 Oct 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2308317)   #2
smooth racer
Rookie

smooth racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R
I saw the british f3 top 6 thread, and i thought of making a top 5 best young rising stars for the future in open wheel racing, mainly for the future to be in F1. Will give it a go. I reckon it will be interesting to see how people think will be the top 5 best young guns.

1)Ricciardo
2)Ericsson
3)Hulkenberg
4)Bamber
5)Grunwell (not many people know him, but he is growing and is challenging and beating Bamber in Formula V6 asia)
ok using your top 5 there I agree with a few of them :-

1)Bianchi (beating hulk with less experience... only 2 yrs in cars!)
2)Ricciardo (gifted)
3)Hartley (needs a hair cut but super fast kiwi)
4)Percat (quicker than Bamber in the same F3 & super fast)
5)Ericsson (will do great things with more years)

They all have a strong future in F1 if given the chance...
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2308426)   #3
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't be bothered with doing 5 but ignoring the obvious ones (grosjean, senna)

I think Turvey is a good driver, and we will have to see how he moves up but Gutierrez from FBMW looks very fast.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2308427)   #4
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
We have a similar thread going called 'Who's Hot, Who's Not'

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109143
Old 11 Oct 2008, 03:07 (Ref:2308824)   #5
Karr
Rookie

Karr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For my money, Justin Tate from Australia
Old 11 Oct 2008, 04:03 (Ref:2308841)   #6
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Yeah, Justin Tate is very good, will be awesome to see how he goes in europe. Also James Kovacic, 13 years old, will make his debut in open wheel racing next year in FBMW USA series. He is apparently on very suprising speed only having done a few days testing. He will be awesome for the future.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2309152)   #7
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to throw Jan's son Kevin Magnussen into the mix as well. The Danish FF championship may not have the strongest field out there, but I think the kid has got that something special.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2309363)   #8
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Justin Tate?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2309496)   #9
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Aus F3 driver, hes only 16 or 17 and in his first season of racing, hes really quick and winning races and getting podiums. Im sure he will give europe a go in a year or 2. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2310086)   #10
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
in asia: zhu dai wei, rio harianto,jazeman jaafar, ross jamison, yuki kunimoto
Old 12 Oct 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2310128)   #11
Karr
Rookie

Karr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin is a really nice lad, who finished mid field, after literally starting from the back of the grid after a blown motor from qualifying in an F398, in his first race, to finishing in an F301, mid field, to finally a drive in an F307,thanks Matt, when he got a second place, and was running second in his next race, until within sight of the the finish line the fuel pump stopped being a pump and he dropped about three spots. If there are people out there with the squids, here is a second driver, next to Tim Macrow, who can drive all over most, if not all of our curent crop of pedallers.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2310134)   #12
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
If he is comparable to Tim Macrow though, then he isn't exactly F1 bound is he. Macrow was miles off the pace even in a CC Atlantic test earlier this year. I seriously doubt those names are raising eyebrows in the GP2/F1 paddocks.

Surely the rising stars who are likely to get to F1 in the next few years are people like Hulkenberg, Gutierrez, Bianchi and Grosjean/Senna if you want to class them as 'rising stars for F1'.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2311067)   #13
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
If he is comparable to Tim Macrow though, then he isn't exactly F1 bound is he. Macrow was miles off the pace even in a CC Atlantic test earlier this year. I seriously doubt those names are raising eyebrows in the GP2/F1 paddocks.

Surely the rising stars who are likely to get to F1 in the next few years are people like Hulkenberg, Gutierrez, Bianchi and Grosjean/Senna if you want to class them as 'rising stars for F1'.

That is true, but it is his first season in racing cars so it is hard to judge him, so id give him more time. He probably isn't F1 standard, but he will be quick for sure. Daniel Ricciardo will be F1 standard though, thats the only aussie i see getting into F1 after Webber.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2311391)   #14
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A-D.R
That is true, but it is his first season in racing cars so it is hard to judge him, so id give him more time. He probably isn't F1 standard, but he will be quick for sure. Daniel Ricciardo will be F1 standard though, thats the only aussie i see getting into F1 after Webber.
Seriously dude. I know you like the guy (and that is understatement of the century), and he has done well this year, but there is no way you can make claims like that about someone whilst they are still in F. Renault. I understand the whole concept of supporting someone etc, but this worshipping has actually made Ricciardo the first driver I've ever been willing to fail!
Old 13 Oct 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2311392)   #15
Albeckinho
Racer

Albeckinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Mika Mäki - fast and hungry Finnish with Red Bull backing, GP2 seat in Arden secured, chanche to F3 Euroseries top-3 and driving at Macau in a good team, should be with Red Bull/STR in 2010 or 2011.

2. Nico Huelkenberg - next Schumacher and after dominating this year's F3 Euroseries, is likely to continue with ART in GP2. With Weber (same man who led FW to believe that Ralf could go to better team in 2003) backing him he'll be in F1 in 2010 or 2010 if everything goes well, just like Mäki.

3. Bruno Senna - inexperienced compared to other hot-shots, but still very good and has plenty of raw speed as well as racecraft but seems to always fall back after the half-point of season, dunno why. Family friend Berger, Brazilian sponsors, his name and his undoubted talent will make sure he'll be in F1 in the future, possibly in 2009?

4. Valtteri Bottas - dominant in FR NEC and front-runner in Eurocup (don't forget that he took pole in the first four races and added 3 more later in the season). Has some average sponsors behind him and if he goes to ARTF3 as rumoured, he has a clear way to F1 in front of him.

5. Romain Grosjean - Do we need to even argue about him? Blindingly quick driver with good racecraft and major titles on his waist. GP2 or F1 with Renault next year, probably he'll be at Renault only after Alonso goes to Ferrari in 2011 or if Di Grassi blows his season like Nelsinho, maybe even 2010 but most likely he'll drive at least one year in GP2 before F1.

Of course I'd like to add names like Turvey, Alguersuari, Hartley, Bianchi, Mortara, Van Der Garde, Gutierrez, Ericcson, Ricciardo, Perez, Mustonen... but since this is TOP-5 I can't and to pick the most likely candidates from like 20 drivers wasn't so easy.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 02:51 (Ref:2311797)   #16
Stocky
Rookie

Stocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Seriously dude. I know you like the guy (and that is understatement of the century), and he has done well this year, but there is no way you can make claims like that about someone whilst they are still in F. Renault. I understand the whole concept of supporting someone etc, but this worshipping has actually made Ricciardo the first driver I've ever been willing to fail!
Isn't that the intent of the entire thread ?

Why not call it "I love Daniel Ricciardo"

I don't wish misfortune on anyone but I'll be intersted in Daniels progress from now on just to see what happens if he doesn't get a competative drive LOL

There are about a million things that have to go right for you to make F1.

There is a lot more to being a good driver and actually getting results. If you end up in the wrong car/team (even when their form looked good) then your future can go down the toilet in 1 season.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 07:25 (Ref:2311902)   #17
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
The thing is, aslong as he keeps doing well, and he stays with redbull backing, he will pretty much always be in a competitive drive.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2312010)   #18
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrong.
You see, Red Bull have drivers with VW power in F3 ES. That says it all! They put their eggs in all baskets sometimes, and those in the wrong baskets are screwed up. Same about Arden in GP2 or Durango and Chandok.
It does take a lot of luck.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2312030)   #19
Albeckinho
Racer

Albeckinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah and even if they'll put Ricciardo in some team with reputation of being always on the top and succesful, what if that teams sucks in that particular season and Daniel will end up doing a crappy season? You can't really say it's a 100% fact that as long as Daniel is with Red Bull, he'll be in top machinery, anything can happen.

Look at F3 Euroseries, Manor had all their 3 drivers in top-7 in 2006 (Hirate 3rd, Guerriri 4th and Nakajima 7th) and were 2nd in team standings and 2007 they had Jakes 5th, Buurman 6th and Mailleux 7th and were 2nd again, so you could consider them as a top-team. Where are they now? 4th in the standings still suggest that they are a top-team but their drivers are 8th, 11th, 16th and 19th... And of course Carlin Motorsport, they ended up dominating British F3 this season and have been competetive in BF3 for many, many years. What if Red Bull plants Ricciardo in some team with top-results that fails to deliver at that particular year?

And N.A-D.R, you've said that you'd like to see Ricciardo at SG Formula in Euroseries next season. Let me tell you what, SG isn't a top team in Euroseries IMHO. And for Red Bull, it really doesn't matter whether Daniel is in that moment's top team or not, if he reaches his goal set by Red Bull, he'll continue, if not, he'll be kicket out.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2312279)   #20
Croc
Rookie

France
.fr
Croc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albeckinho
3. Bruno Senna - inexperienced compared to other hot-shots, but still very good and has plenty of raw speed as well as racecraft but seems to always fall back after the half-point of season, dunno why. Family friend Berger, Brazilian sponsors, his name and his undoubted talent will make sure he'll be in F1 in the future, possibly in 2009?

4. Valtteri Bottas - dominant in FR NEC and front-runner in Eurocup (don't forget that he took pole in the first four races and added 3 more later in the season). Has some average sponsors behind him and if he goes to ARTF3 as rumoured, he has a clear way to F1 in front of him.
IMO, Bruno Senna is in a tricky situation. I think he's not ready for F1 yet, he's quick but inconsistent and also commits silly mistakes often. On the other hand, if he opts for another season in Gp2, he must win the championship otherwise his F1 ambitions might fade away. He still could be a test driver, but with the recent testing redution this option doesn't seem as good as the other two.

About Bottas, i went to the FR race at Spa and i must say that this guy really impressed me. If nothing goes extremely wrong, he's for sure a name to be keeped.

My top 5:
1.Hülkenberg
2.Grosjean
3.di Resta (only if he returns to single seaters soon)
4.Bianchi
5.Bottas
Old 14 Oct 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2312422)   #21
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My top 5, hmm... Really depends if we allow those who've tested for F1 or not. Either way, predictions for who's going to be the next Michael Schumacher.

1. Marcus Ericsson - I think with Carlin he will dominate BF3 next year..
2. Jules Bianchi - Two seasons down and not a step wrong so far
3. Valteri Bottas - Best F. Renault performance since Raikkonen.
4. Paul di Resta - I think he's seriously under-rated
5. Nico Hulkenburg - Should have done better this year, but is still good.

And back on the Riccardio note: Promising F. Renault drivers with Red Bull backing who utterly failed on the path to F1...Lookup Filipe Albuquerque sometime. Never underperformed, extremely promising, and has vanished.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2312564)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
I think everyone is being slightly harsh on Ricciardo here, he has won more FR races in the Eurocup than Bottas and is within reach. (I'm not supporting anyone here, i'm just putting this forward). Red Bull do indeed make strange/wrong decisions, but so far there's nothing to suggest that Ricciardo is going to be dropped anytime soon, they tried him out in F3 and he performed brilliantly. Bottas I think is equally as good even without all the funding that Ricciardo has, so why diminish Daniel's rapid path at the moment?

Albuquerque hasn't vanished either. Red Bull did him an injustice. But he's got back into WSR at least for a few races and is Portugal's lead driver all season in A1GP.

Regarding di Resta- I don't think anyone does under-rate him.

Ericsson is mentioned a lot, and he is brilliant considering he's so young still. But Dean Smith (who is a FBMW UK champion like Marcus), just came into Fortec for the last 2 races and was simply quicker. You can argue about experience and the fact that Smith is 2 years older, but Ericsson has still done every test and 20 races, but was slower.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:07 (Ref:2312851)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bottas I think is equally as good even without all the funding that Ricciardo has, so why diminish Daniel's rapid path at the moment?.
Agreed

Quote:
Albuquerque hasn't vanished either. Red Bull did him an injustice. But he's got back into WSR at least for a few races and is Portugal's lead driver all season in A1GP.
Wondered what happened to him!!

Quote:
Although being hived off to DTM can stunt driver's development a bit?

Quote:
Ericsson. You can argue about experience and the fact that Dean Smith is 2 years older, but Ericsson has still done every test and 20races, but was slower.
That's an excellent comment, very well put indeed!

Or putting it another way as most people highly rate Marcus as something special, how good do people now think that Dean is after his Donington drives?!!!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:44 (Ref:2312912)   #24
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
how good do people now think that Dean is after his Donington drives?!!!
Depends if you find it more reliable to judge him based on a one off drive or on a full season at the high level competition that FR Euro is.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2312964)   #25
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
I think everyone is being slightly harsh on Ricciardo here, he has won more FR races in the Eurocup than Bottas and is within reach. (I'm not supporting anyone here, i'm just putting this forward). Red Bull do indeed make strange/wrong decisions, but so far there's nothing to suggest that Ricciardo is going to be dropped anytime soon, they tried him out in F3 and he performed brilliantly. Bottas I think is equally as good even without all the funding that Ricciardo has, so why diminish Daniel's rapid path at the moment?

Ericsson is mentioned a lot, and he is brilliant considering he's so young still. But Dean Smith (who is a FBMW UK champion like Marcus), just came into Fortec for the last 2 races and was simply quicker. You can argue about experience and the fact that Smith is 2 years older, but Ericsson has still done every test and 20 races, but was slower.
I think Di resta will eventually go back to single seaters, hes doing the path of Albers, will grow with Mercedes in DTM, and when the time is right he will go to F1. They did confirm Di Resta is not in line for any F1 seat in 2009 a couple of days ago, so maybe 2010.

With Daniel and Bottas, this weekend they will both fight (with Merhi not too far behind) for the title, so we will see who will win it. Knowing that Daniel has won most races, and has given away a healthy lead after he has had a rough few weeks and Bottas making the most of that. It will be really interesting to watch the showdown. A real shame it's not on tv, as Formula Renault is really good to watch, especially a Eurocup final with 3 drivers going for it.

Ericsson is a really big prospect IMO. He is super fast and is really impressive. I can tell he will be an F1 driver one day, he just has something about him which shows he has what it takes.