Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Oct 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2557318)   #1
guppie
Rookie

guppie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2009 Mclaren Autosport young driver awards

Does anyone have any thoughts on the nominees for the 2009 Mclaren Autosport BRDC young driver awards?

Here is a list to be going on with;

1. James Calado - Formula Renault - Fortec Motorsport
2. Dean Smith - Formula Renault - Manor Competition
3. James Cole - FFord - Jamun Racing
4. Daniel Mckenzie - National F3 - Fortec Motorsport
5. Richard Plant - Palmer Audi
6. Palmer Audi Shootout winner
Old 9 Oct 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2557330)   #2
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the actual shortlist? Sorry I have not seen much on this so far this season.

I have seen a bit of these guys this season and I would have Calado as my personal favourite and then Cole.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2557345)   #3
guppie
Rookie

This is just a possible nominees list
Old 9 Oct 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2557431)   #4
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real ones: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79348

1. James Calado
2. Adam Christodoulou
3. James Cole
4. Callum MacLeod
5. Chrissy Palmer
6. Dean Smith
Old 9 Oct 2009, 12:33 (Ref:2557460)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There are some names there that have been up for the award before, which always makes me wonder.

Since they have named all 6, does that mean there is no FPA shoot-out this year?

I'd make James Calado the favourite.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2557471)   #6
guppie
Rookie

I would also have James Calado as favourite if the Awards weren't so political.
Why are there no Palmer Audi drivers nominated?
Why is the assessment taking place at Silverstone and not a MSV track?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2557499)   #7
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
I still rate Calado as my favourite but I think the list is a bit disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppie View Post
Hadn't really thought about that but seems that there is no FPA Shootout, no FPA driver and no MSV track being used. Politics indeed could have come into play!!
Old 9 Oct 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2557505)   #8
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because the judges didn't deem anyone from there worthy enough?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2557509)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I still rate Calado as my favourite but I think the list is a bit disappointing.
In what way is the list 'disappointing'?
Old 9 Oct 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2557514)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is Dean Smith allowed to be shortlisted? He's already raced in F3!
Old 9 Oct 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2557522)   #11
guppie
Rookie

Dean Smith can still be nominated because he didnt race F3 in the same year as the nominations
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2557612)   #12
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
In what way is the list 'disappointing'?
I don't mean any disrespect to the candidates, IMO I just feel that there has been better years! I still think there is a strong 2 or 3 drivers though and certainly a worthy winner in the list.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2557617)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Given that the award's full title is the McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver Award, the use of Silverstone over an MSV track is perhaps approriate.

With regards to the non-selection of any FPA drivers, whilst it is not possible to obtain the reasons for the judges decisions, in my view no British driver has been able to demonstrate the level of speed or results that the selected nominees have accomplished.

I had expected McKenzie to feature in the short list, but I guess the lack of runners in National Class F3 counted against him. The inclusion of MacLeod is pleasing though.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2558090)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
There are some names there that have been up for the award before, which always makes me wonder.
Indeed - MacLeod and Smith 2 years ago and Christo last year

The last couple of years in general haven't been fantastic
Old 11 Oct 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2559072)   #15
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The english drivers in FPA just arnt good enough. I would think that the top 2 brits in FPA would only be mid runners in Formula Ford or Formula Renault
Old 11 Oct 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2559080)   #16
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Richard Plant must be ok, he is ahead of Vasiliauskas who everyone is raving about in F2 and Tristan Vatier is a quick peddlar with podiums in the Formula Renault Eurocup. Bet he is a bit miffed! I wouldn't change the list, however.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2559134)   #17
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Adam did what nobody thought he can do, won Star Mazda Championship having large points disadvantage. He's my fav for award.

Actually Class of 2009 is very strong... Calado, Smith and MacLeod, as well as Adam could fly in every championship they could race. Don't know other two...

May think that with BARC FR2.0 upgrading to be FR2.0 light FPA's grid may be even less talented than this season.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2561442)   #18
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Adam did what nobody thought he can do, won Star Mazda Championship having large points disadvantage. He's my fav for award.

Actually Class of 2009 is very strong... Calado, Smith and MacLeod, as well as Adam could fly in every championship they could race. Don't know other two...

May think that with BARC FR2.0 upgrading to be FR2.0 light FPA's grid may be even less talented than this season.
FPA still has a place in the market as the TOCA teams who are moving into BARC are looking for £100k budgets so FPA still cheaper
Old 14 Oct 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2561578)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'd make James Calado the favourite.
I've had a re-think. James Calado doesn't need the money or the publicity. He's already backed by the Racing Steps Foundation and has signed up with Carlin to do British F3 next year.

My favourite would be Dean Smith, who doesn't seem to have a lot of money but has a very good CV. Formula BMW champion in 2005 and Formula Renault champion this year, ahead of Calado. Note: needs to update his website.

He had one meeting in British F3 at the end of 2008 and beat the much-vaunted Marcus Ericsson head-to-head.

This is the sort of guy who should win the Award, in my opinion.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2561614)   #20
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
I agree, strider. Its hard to call though, because I think Adam Christo is something special too, and he had to cross the Atlantic due to the fact he hadn't got the budget for F3 in Europe. I find it intriguing that Alexander Sims won last year, despite finishing 2nd in Formula Renault with just 2 wins to Adam's 7 (I know its based on the evaluation day). And Sims doesn't seem to be short of budget! It was the same with Smith in 2005, he won the FBMW title ahead of Sam Bird, both in their 2nd years, yet Bird was nominated and Smith wasn't to many people's dismay and confusion (he has a lot more money than Smith, obviously). It doesn't seem to be about who should win the award though. That aside, all the drivers in it this year are at the top of their formulae, so good luck to them!
Old 19 Oct 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2564749)   #21
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, strider. Its hard to call though, because I think Adam Christo is something special too, and he had to cross the Atlantic due to the fact he hadn't got the budget for F3 in Europe. I find it intriguing that Alexander Sims won last year, despite finishing 2nd in Formula Renault with just 2 wins to Adam's 7 (I know its based on the evaluation day). And Sims doesn't seem to be short of budget! It was the same with Smith in 2005, he won the FBMW title ahead of Sam Bird, both in their 2nd years, yet Bird was nominated and Smith wasn't to many people's dismay and confusion (he has a lot more money than Smith, obviously). It doesn't seem to be about who should win the award though. That aside, all the drivers in it this year are at the top of their formulae, so good luck to them!
I've always said its a token prize! Whats £50k towards a budget movin on from Formula Renault or Formula Ford? It gives Autosport/BRDC a lot of publicity so in effect its cheap advertising for them! There is of course a kudos element for the drivers nominated.

Of this years drivers, Cole I think is well financed and likely to be in F3 next year regardless, same with Colado and Racing Steps, Christo is not exactly a pauper; Star Mazda budgets are $400,000 plus damage (less than British or Euro F3 I grant you) but having won the title now has a fully paid up Toyota Atlantic deal and $100,000 prize money. Calado wasn't particularly short of funds anyway and aleady has RSF backing him.

Smith probably had a cheap deal to return to Formula Renault so I don't imagine he has heaps of money, McLeod having won British FF took a year out (save some club Historic racing) because of lack of budget and Palmer whilst not poor doesn't have big money available so if part of the criteria were a means test then one of these last 3 would be the winner.

I suspect its a combination of politics and performance on the day in all aspects (not just driving) that decides the winner. One aspect of the competition that I find annoying is its blatent ageism. Previously the age limit was 23 or lower but from last year it became 21! I heard that Duncan Tappy and Nathan Freake who were both over 21 when selected were told they were too old by the panel. This is blatent ageism; how can you describe a talented driver as too old at 22 or 23??!!! That's just unnessarily writing off many promising young drivers careers!!! Not everyone has a rich family that can put them into a single seater at 16!!!
Old 19 Oct 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2564757)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemun View Post
This is blatent ageism; how can you describe a talented driver as too old at 22 or 23??!!! That's just unnessarily writing off many promising young drivers careers!!! Not everyone has a rich family that can put them into a single seater at 16!!!
Hear hear!
Old 20 Oct 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2565555)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Hear hear!
Ditto!
Old 20 Oct 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2565751)   #24
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, agree that over 21 shouldnt be written off, perhaps it would be better to consider drivers for what they achieve in the time they have raced in cars. If a driver is 21 but been in cars for many years and still hasn`t attracted sponsors and required funds, its purely because they havent achieved the right results or aint good enough.Its a cruel statement but unfortunately true. I guess there are politics involved but looking at it, Simms was by far the better driver last year, scored more points than christo but lost it on drops, yes he has family funds but above all, the judges must be looking for a driver that actually has the talent and ability and could be the next best thing for GB. Simms is doing a good job in euro F3, right choice.I dont think the drivers funds are a consideration in the decision process. Looking at the list, Calado for sure in the time he`s had in cars has the best record, had his car not broken down, he would have beaten smith easily and reading his cv, he won two winter championships after only a year in a car, pretty special. Maybe it would also be a good idea to invite only first time nominees, give the up and coming drivers with short term achievement the prestige of being asked, win or even lose, it will help so why ask back 3 drivers that have already been and lost, I hope it`s Palmer, Cole or Calado that win.
Old 20 Oct 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2565822)   #25
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyndie View Post
Maybe it would also be a good idea to invite only first time nominees, give the up and coming drivers with short term achievement the prestige of being asked, win or even lose, it will help so why ask back 3 drivers that have already been and lost, I hope it`s Palmer, Cole or Calado that win.
I'm not sure I particularly agree with the idea that each driver should be only nominated for the award once. By doing so, it prevents the improvements that drivers may have made over a season or two from being fully recognised. Notwithstanding this, repeat nominees have tended not to win the award with only Jonny Kane triumphing after having failed the award in an earlier season. Incidentally, Guy Smith has the most nominations (three).