Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1122292)   #1
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hyundai to buy Jaguar?

We can add Hyundai to our 'who buys Jaguar' list, hust read it on F1racing.net. Personally I would prefer they buy Cosworth, than he could have another decent engine suplier? What do you think about this? Or do you prefere Red Bull.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1122295)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll prefer whoever buys it - as long as they can fund it properly!
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1122315)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmmm... Hyundai...
I doubt it since they didn't even want to throw money at their WRC project...
Old 12 Oct 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1122356)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are Hyundai independant, or does someone else own them?

I'm sure someone will buy Cosworth; there's probably more concern over the future of Jaguar, especially due to the needless entry deadline.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1122427)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hyundai are not owned by another manufacturer. Hyundai could probably use some help with road car engine development so buying Cosworth might not be a bad idea. They've made some serious strides forwards in the last couple of years, but if they want to compete with the Japanese they need more advanced engines.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 17:45 (Ref:1122428)   #6
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a piece on Grand Prix.com about the possibility. According to them Hyundai are looking at scaling back the WRC to divert the money to F1, and have already built an engine for evaluation purposes. If it's true it would certainly signal their serious intent.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1122489)   #7
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ASIATECH
Old 12 Oct 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1122494)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hyundai....hmmm.

I'll bet Ferrari are quaking in their boots.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1122499)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Hyundai....hmmm.

I'll bet Ferrari are quaking in their boots.
They shall be right on thy tails!......................4laps down that is!

Just kidding.

Last edited by luke; 12 Oct 2004 at 19:02.
Old 12 Oct 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1122521)   #10
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi and dry!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 00:31 (Ref:1122764)   #11
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Remember in 1983 when Honda started in F1? Everybody was laughing. 5 years later... they won 15 of 16 races. I don't think Hyundai has Honda's racing culture but it would be nice to see a Korean group in F1
Old 13 Oct 2004, 09:54 (Ref:1123010)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did Ronnie Bucknum drive a Honda in F1 in 1964 and Richie Ginther win the Mexican GP in 1965.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1123064)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Correct rbs - Honda were briefly involved in F1 in the 60s - in fact, had the engine regulations not changed to the 3.5 litre system for 1966, they may have had a very successful run (manufacturing the chassis as well as the engine).

Karimbo's point still holds though, especially as Honda weren't really respected in the west at the time (not for cars, anyway). Toyota and Jaguar have proved that it's much harder these days, although maybe teaming up with an existing squad rather than building the chassis as well would make it easier?
Old 13 Oct 2004, 12:26 (Ref:1123128)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motoring news are reporting that Toyota has drawn a line under customer engine supply for 2005, which puts the Jaguar position under further threat as it's believed that the proposed Red Bull deal was dependent on a supply from Toyota.

Without that someone either has to buy both Cosworth and Jaguar in order to secure engines, or hope that Cossie is sold and the new owners keep F1 engines on their books.

Hence EJ's recent outburst against Ford who allegedy offered to supply him engines for DOUBLE the 2004 price and then pulled out altogether, so EJ is looking at 2005 without an engine unless Bernie can twist a few arms behind the scenes.

All in all it's getting very late in the day for anything to be salvaged bearing in mind the engine situation, Jaugar Racing may have advanced work on their 2005 car to get a sale of the team, but that will be designed around Cosworth's, the supply of which is by no means certain.

Certainly Hyundai are a viable proposition, but even if they bought the team, 2005 would be very early to run a car and their own engine, if they were a candidate it's surely more likely they would have a 'run up' year of testing (a la Toyota), then enter in 2006.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 13 Oct 2004 at 12:27.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1123166)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In much the same way as he was with the British GP, I'm sure Bernie's involved in behind-the-scenes deals to keep the ten current teams on the grid and with engines!
Old 13 Oct 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1123202)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It makes sense for Hyundai to come in.

Hyundai is not a premium brand and is treated as a budget car company from Korea.

To even place a Hyundai entry into F1 would have done it's brand a good deal of exposure and a boost to it's image, even if it is running in the mid-fields.

F1 is currently made up of prestigious names such as BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes. To lose to these names would not be too depressing on Hyundai's image...but to win would have been a great boost. There's little to lose, but much to gain, marketting wise...as long as they have the funds to sustain it.

Even their closest "brand-rival"and product-rivals, Honda, Toyota, Renault are all far more established names, and beating them on track would do the Hyundai name much gain. Losing would not devalue the brand.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1123265)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hyundai have got more dosh than you think sloshing around their pockets - and they have huge ambitions...they want to be 4th biggest manufacturer within 10 years, if I remember correctly.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1123575)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Hyundai want to jump into the deep end of the pool, when they don't even know how to swim yet?

For goodness sakes, this is a company that makes econo-boxes, basic transportation with no HP, no technology, no turbo's, or superchargers, and plainly no style. They havn't put out one model with even a modicum of performance, to compare with Honda, and Toyota. And now they are ready to create a 900HP F1 machine?

Hmmm, I believe Yugo is also interested in Jaguar... Maybe a joint venture?

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1123581)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Very harsh assessment of Hyundai there, GP.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1123589)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, there a great company KB, if your looking for a low tech piece of transportation. And they have come along way since they were first introduced here in North America, but...

Shouldn't they start out in some lower formula racing before they jump into F1? I mean if Ford/Jaguar couldn't do better with all of their racing history, then why should I believe that a company like Hyundai could?

Also, is it good for F1's image, as the pinnacle of motorsports, to have a company like Hyundai competing in it?

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1123593)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Also, is it good for F1's image, as the pinnacle of motorsports, to have a company like Hyundai competing in it?
Would Skoda be a better image?

Old 13 Oct 2004, 19:51 (Ref:1123598)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
People thought the same when Ford started in F1...

However generally I agree with what you are saying. Except to say that F1 isn't that realted to road cars (and probably shouldn't be).

If they used F1 to place a few of their engineers or designers there to learn then they may benefit from the program even if they aren't that successful. They could promote expertise in their road company (I'm thinking along the lines of the rotation of employees that Honda used to have). That is just an example, but Hyundai may be able to take a lot out of F1.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Oct 2004 at 19:55.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1123816)   #23
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Hyundai would IF there came into F1 would shock quite a few people
Old 14 Oct 2004, 01:41 (Ref:1123870)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by karimbo
Remember in 1983 when Honda started in F1? Everybody was laughing. 5 years later... they won 15 of 16 races. I don't think Hyundai has Honda's racing culture but it would be nice to see a Korean group in F1
Velly solly to intellupt, but I think honollable Honda started in F1 before 1983
Old 14 Oct 2004, 01:54 (Ref:1123873)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
They still do

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
People thought the same when Ford started in F1...

They still do after the latest debacle of Jaguar (financially controlled by FORD). Ford (sorry, Jaguar) hired and managers so many bosses, they didn't know whether they were coming or going hrug: