Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > Formula Teddy Out The Pram

Old 18 Jun 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2486253)   #26
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
Oh ...

Anyone who thinks this is good, no matter how much you hate Max and Bernie, is an absolute fool.

The fall out of this will rock this sport to it's very foundations.

Single seater racing will never be the same again...
Hold your breath... in the next few days you'll see a fall.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:03 (Ref:2486255)   #27
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope the BBC can get out of their contract if this goes ahead! No-one wants to watch Williams and Force India battling it out whilst everyone else is on Sky or something...
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:08 (Ref:2486258)   #28
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the 80's Don King was a force in Boxing, everyone has to fall sooner or later. Bernie must fall, his days as an F1 supremo looks set to be over!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:09 (Ref:2486259)   #29
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wonder where this leaves the Donington revamp because F1 or no F1, I think the new plans are pretty good and would benefit other racing series as well.

I hope they can still go ahead somehow.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2486260)   #30
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bad news, I really didn't think it would come to this ... the pinnacle of motorsport can only be diluted :/
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2486261)   #31
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally for someone that prefers LMS style racing, I'd love to see some of the F1 teams racing at Le Mans!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2486262)   #32
chavez169
Rookie

chavez169 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they do honour their promise to listen to the fans this could maybe be a perfect opportunity to start a fresh and go even further with the rule changes to promote better on track action. If this doesn't ruin the sport then there is a small chance that we have a better racing series! lets just keep our fingers crossed eh?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2486263)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Relax people, this is phase one... watch for the next events.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2486267)   #34
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Relax people, this is phase one... watch for the next events.
This is true Bononi. We could still be in realms of brinkmanship, though this is the ultimate manoeuvre by FOTA.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:21 (Ref:2486268)   #35
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh ...

Anyone who thinks this is good, no matter how much you hate Max and Bernie, is an absolute fool.

change is rarely smooth, and rarely without bloodshed. So of course these things in isolation are not good for the sport.

But dying a slow death of a million cuts for fear of change serves no profit either.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is to not be too idealistic that a manufacturer led series will be the path to motoring nirvana. But certainly their opening manifesto is what has been required in f1 for a while, and management have had eons of time to fix, but have simply failed to address.

their flip flopping of the rulebooks and regulations has cost manufacturers more money season on season, and would have negated the necessity for budget caps. Their intrusion in the actual "on-field" sport is overbearing, unwarranted, and with a lust for theatrics and media attention, above any beyond sporting spectacle (ie malaysia this year).

it's not hard to see that from a management perspective, f1 has been served very poorly of late. We are yet to see if a manufacturer led series would be any different.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2486270)   #36
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I do hope your right about that.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2486272)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Hold your breath... in the next few days you'll see a fall.
I think you're right there.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:42 (Ref:2486274)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Personally for someone that prefers LMS style racing, I'd love to see some of the F1 teams racing at Le Mans!
Well what about a series that incorporates elements of LMS and F1; real race strategy, real pitstops and real racing?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2486276)   #39
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracer View Post
change is rarely smooth, and rarely without bloodshed. So of course these things in isolation are not good for the sport.

But dying a slow death of a million cuts for fear of change serves no profit either.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is to not be too idealistic that a manufacturer led series will be the path to motoring nirvana. But certainly their opening manifesto is what has been required in f1 for a while, and management have had eons of time to fix, but have simply failed to address.

their flip flopping of the rulebooks and regulations has cost manufacturers more money season on season, and would have negated the necessity for budget caps. Their intrusion in the actual "on-field" sport is overbearing, unwarranted, and with a lust for theatrics and media attention, above any beyond sporting spectacle (ie malaysia this year).

it's not hard to see that from a management perspective, f1 has been served very poorly of late. We are yet to see if a manufacturer led series would be any different.
Just a note: It's not the GPMA anymore, but FOTA. FOTA mostly consists of manufacturers, but it seems to be generally more team-centric.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2486277)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"The world is coming to an end.. doo dah doo dah... the world is coming to an end... all the live long day"
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2486279)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Well what about a series that incorporates elements of LMS and F1; real race strategy, real pitstops and real racing?
What you'll be watching (if indeed it can be watched) are this seasons cars with larger fuel tanks (no fuel stops),no KERS or any other innovations,and the promise that the regulations will remain stable.Ferrari may win quite often as well.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2486282)   #42
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh ...

I think this is good. I do not hate Max and Bernie. I do think that participating teams, as in many other sport leagues should control their own destiny, and I do not think any sport needs some top-heavy burearcracy to siphon off millions and millions, to award its events to the highest bidder without regard for its fan base, and on and on.

I guess I am an absolute fool...and proud of it.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2486283)   #43
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
What you'll be watching (if indeed it can be watched) are this seasons cars with larger fuel tanks (no fuel stops),no KERS or any other innovations,and the promise that the regulations will remain stable.Ferrari may win quite often as well.
But Ferrari only overtake via Fuel stops so they'll have to think of something new in the future.

That's the only other drawback for me of the Teams new rules, I really wish they'd persevere with KER's a bit longer. At the moment it just appears like a blocking device because the teams that have it struggle with Aero problems. But given enough time I think it would improve overtaking capability and strategy quite a lot.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2486285)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Well ....

Now that the decision has been taken by FOTA I wish them well and will watch with interest to see how they will organise themselves and organise their sport.....

Right now I doubt we have seen the end of it but if we do get two championships next year then we will see how it pans out.
Both will not survive.
That is clear but we are in for an interesting roller coaster ride time.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:04 (Ref:2486286)   #45
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now the question is what tracks will go with the FOTA?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:07 (Ref:2486287)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
That's the only other drawback for me of the Teams new rules, I really wish they'd persevere with KER's a bit longer. At the moment it just appears like a blocking device because the teams that have it struggle with Aero problems. But given enough time I think it would improve overtaking capability and strategy quite a lot.
It was obvious to anyone that bothered to read them that Formula One's 2010 regulations presented by far the greatest challenge to any engineer.Unfortunately FOTA doesn't want to spend its money on new technologies and would prefer that we would watch something more "stable" instead!?

We've yet to hear from Bernie and his lawyers however!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2486288)   #47
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This does all seem a bit CART/IRL-esque...you can't have 2 pinnacles of motorsport. Only one side will survive but I wouldn't want to place any bets on which one at the moment.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2486289)   #48
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Monaco, Silverstone, Bahrain, Nurburgring, plus maybe any or some of the following: Hockenheim, Brno, Algarve, Valencia, Imola, Mugello, Indianapolis, Kyalami, Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Melbourne(?) Suzuka and Shanghai.

A few new ones that want a GP and those who who will leave the FIA championship and go to FOTA if they can.
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:16 (Ref:2486290)   #49
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
I think this is good. I do not hate Max and Bernie. I do think that participating teams, as in many other sport leagues should control their own destiny, and I do not think any sport needs some top-heavy burearcracy to siphon off millions and millions, to award its events to the highest bidder without regard for its fan base, and on and on.
But who said the manufacturers won't do that?

This is essentially going to be a series run by manufacturers and corporations. The DTM is riddled with politics and has only 2 manufacturers. Ditto the WRC. The WSC collapsed because it was heavily relied upon by manufacturers, even if Mosley pulled the rug from underneath it to a certain extent

I don't see how teams can effectively run a motor racing championship without the inevitable clashes, hissy fits and taking of the ball elsewhere. Max should indeed go and should've gone a long time ago, but the solution is to push him off his throne instead of running away to create a new throne with a few more jewels in it

It needs impartiality. The double decker diffuser argument just proved that although the teams love each other now, when it's about the racing, they'll do what they want to do and they'll act selfishly. Any innovations will be banned in this way, especially if they're made by a privateer team

If F1 can weather the first year or 2 of the storm, it might just come out the other side intact, whilst the other series eats itself
Old 19 Jun 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2486291)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Where is Mr Bernie Ecclestone, do we know? Do we care.....