Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3438407)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Popularity Working Group

Headed by Flavio.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.p...-f1-popularity

Ha.
Ha ha.
Haaaa ha ha ha.

*headdesk*
Old 26 Jul 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3438414)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I thought that was hilarious as well....
Old 26 Jul 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3438432)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably more double points finishes and spsrky cars then.

The amount of money FOM charges race promotors and hense the fans has nothing to do with it I assume..........
Old 26 Jul 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3438458)   #4
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just being pedantic, but FOM don't charge race promoters anything! Formula One World Championship Limited charge the hosting fees and take all FOM then get paid to produce the live feed, transport the teams etc....

Anyway, back to the thread.... Hahahahahahahahahha. Pointless and reactionary BS from the poisoned undertall one!! And inviting briatore to be part of it....
Old 26 Jul 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3438462)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dieter Zetsche want F1 to have somebody in charge of markrting F1 rather than Bernie doing everything. He wants digital marketing to be a part of it. At least there are people involved in F1 that seem to think digital media can be used as a marketing tool not like its boss.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28597.html
Old 26 Jul 2014, 21:38 (Ref:3438508)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
He might just be the person for the job, as much as my initial reaction was to scoff at the idea....
Old 26 Jul 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3438516)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
So not headed by Flav but he'll be involved somehow. I reckon that's a good move - he always looked at the sport with a fresh set of eyes and from a marketing perspective.

He's not the person to run a racing team but in terms of how the sport shows itself to the world, he'd have some pretty radical ideas most likely.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 02:29 (Ref:3438557)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Headed by Flavio.

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.p...-f1-popularity

Ha.
Ha ha.
Haaaa ha ha ha.

*headdesk*
"A couple of guys will sit together [to work out what to do], because it's difficult to do when you invite everybody and come up with priorities and solutions," said Wolff.
"We'll probably get you guys involved to avoid the situation last time when you found our ideas really s***! So that's the procedure."

Oh well, Toto has got the message!

Don't expect the ideas to be any good though!

Get the wings off, lose KERS, use racing tyres, and go at it, FF on steroids would be hugely popular!

"But by spreading negativity around we distract people from being passionate and watching us, and actually we stop people who could be potentially interested to watch because we are negative.

The reason people are negative about your ideas mate, are they as described by Toto and have nothing to do with improving the racing!

The premier league should award double points for the last round, "it would improve the show."

Last edited by wnut; 27 Jul 2014 at 02:39.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3438629)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Get rid of DRS, bring gravel traps back, make the cars wide again, widen the rear tyres by X amount, half the ticket prices.

There you go Flavio, i've just saved you all that work, you can go back to laying about on your yacht now.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3438634)   #10
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio? Popularity group? Fantastic!
We will see lots of half naked models on the grid and around the pits. That will definitely raise F1's popularity!!
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3438638)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Flavio has had some good ideas in the past. A dreadful man, but a bright man.

The concept of a popularity working group fills me with dread though. Pretty much a death sentence to F1.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3438640)   #12
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Popularity Working Group... You can just smell the passion, can't you?

I wonder if there is a Working Group Working Group to oversee all the Working Groups.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3438643)   #13
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't bringing in a man who was responsible for fixing a race to improve popularity not a potentially counter-intuitive move?

I can't help but think reverse grid races might be on the cards
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3438647)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think Flavio's a clown (that's the most polite word I could think of with that initial letter).
This is further indication that F1 is becoming less of a technically challenging sport and more like WWF.
I suppose I'll have to console my self with the fact that at least I've been able to enjoy a lot of it since I started watching in the early 60's.
(At my age I was beginning to think it about time that I got another hobby anyway).
Old 27 Jul 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3438657)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can't believe that I'm seeing a sport I've loved is becoming unwatchable. This new group won't achieve anything unless they ask the fans. And please Flav, no more thong pictures!
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3438924)   #16
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Get the wings off, lose KERS, use racing tyres, and go at it, FF on steroids would be hugely popular!

I'd like it to have all the ultimate technology, including KERS, but FF on steroids would certainly offer a lot better racing than the current formula.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3438993)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I read "Popularity Working Group" and I cringed, I read Flav was going to be "involved" I held my head in my hands and started sobbing. Typical jobs for the boys from Eccelstone. I know Flav isn't running it but I've read a couple of interviews from him the past twenty years, expressing preferences about split races and reverse grids.

All you need is a half decent technie nerd to charge up the SEO, start up a youtube a/c and twitter away. Not that I give one hoot about the 'popularity' of the sport, in fact, I'm of the opinion that they should prioritise strategies for driving the more of the idiots away from the sport.

Put me in charge of the Unpopularity Working Group.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3439013)   #18
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Get rid of DRS, bring gravel traps back, make the cars wide again, widen the rear tyres by X amount, half the ticket prices.

There you go Flavio, i've just saved you all that work, you can go back to laying about on your yacht now.
Fully agree.

This whole idea that they need to keep improving F1 is F1s problem.

F1 keeps trying to improve the show, and moving further away from being a motorsport in my eyes.

Races like today are fun and exciting, but as a whole Sport I feel F1 has headed down a narrowing road.

The trouble with this and asking the "Fans" is that most F1 fans are casual watchers of maybe a few races to most races but only for exciting years.

I know that sounds arrogant and snobby, but I honestly believe people who watch casually will like standing restarts, DRS and reverse grids.

However most true motorsport/F1 fans want the sport to remain true to its roots and also to be more about the core sport rather than gimmicks.

However I can never see F1 going back to a purer form.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:50 (Ref:3439029)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I read "Popularity Working Group" and I cringed, I read Flav was going to be "involved" I held my head in my hands and started sobbing. Typical jobs for the boys from Eccelstone. I know Flav isn't running it but I've read a couple of interviews from him the past twenty years, expressing preferences about split races and reverse grids.

All you need is a half decent technie nerd to charge up the SEO, start up a youtube a/c and twitter away. Not that I give one hoot about the 'popularity' of the sport, in fact, I'm of the opinion that they should prioritise strategies for driving the more of the idiots away from the sport.

Put me in charge of the Unpopularity Working Group.
Agree with the idea that the group is worthless and a waste of time. Nothing wrong with the racing. Hungary was fine as was Canada, Silverstone, Germany, Australia, Bahrain. The last thing we need is Briatore coming up with more inane ideas adding to double points and standing restarts.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3439033)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Its marketing of F1 in new media that is needed and afforable ticket prices.
The races this year have been fine.
If certain people within F1 had not been doing there best to say F1 2014 will be a disaster earlier in the season have only themselves to blame.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3439726)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he complained about artificiality in recent F1, but could much be more artificial than his Singapore actions?

He has campaigned for shorter races, which I'm dead against.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3441287)   #22
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I think he complained about artificiality in recent F1, but could much be more artificial than his Singapore actions?

He has campaigned for shorter races, which I'm dead against.
Speaking of which, Popularity Working Group meeting cancelled:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28632.html

Perhaps Mercedes have the same problem!

Lauda's take!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28629.html

"they don't see the drivers as their heroes. This is not easy to solve."
Perhaps if the drivers didn't all have the physiques and petulance of anorexic 13 year old girls they would be more likely to be hero figures!

Last edited by wnut; 3 Aug 2014 at 23:30.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3441800)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Flavio we have decided that you are not popular...
Old 6 Aug 2014, 08:27 (Ref:3441876)   #24
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Not very popular this popularity group they have now kicked their meeting down the road to about the time of the Italian or Belgian GPs.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28646.html
Old 6 Aug 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3441894)   #25
wnut
Veteran

This podcast interview with Tony Brooks conducted by Motorsport Magazine provides some interesting perspectives between GP racing of the late 50s and modern F1 racing. Brooks does not have any commercial interest in current F1 and is able to express a critical view.

https://soundcloud.com/motor-sport-m...th-tony-brooks