Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2907653)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
+1

20 years ago, when you had grass and gravel traps, you'd have several cars in each race beached on grass verges or in gravel following driving errors. Todays circuits are too much like a video game where it doesnt really matter if you go outside the confines of the track.
The game often rewards going outside the track boundaries with faster lap times!

All true and of course there were once dropped scores so that the odd DNF often didn't affect championship standings at the sharp end at all. Personally I liked it that way, everyone was allowed one or two foul ups without it wrecking their season, also of course it meant if a driver was dominant it left the championship open for a little longer. Fourwheeldrift.

Dropping scores also encourages racing rather than points scoring parades!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2907676)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
Guy in very slow car wants faster cars to break more shock!

I do like to see things mixed up, but I don't like seeing driver's win races (or indeed championships) because of bits breaking, I prefer to see the best man win. Anything which breaks due to poor driving is fine as that's part of their skill, but not pure unreliability.

I disagree F1 cars are in any way easy or idiot proof however. Its an easy thing to throw at it from an armchair, but we've all seen programmes where professional drivers (not race drivers thought granted) struggle to keep an F1 car in a straight line let alone go fast.
Thank you great post..

If any of you think it is that easy then try anything that goes fast. I have and it hurts...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 01:51 (Ref:2908352)   #28
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you not watch F1 last year? Vettel almost lost the championship (and never lead during the season) because of reliability issues. I believe some of the drivers were close to their alloted engines too.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2908377)   #29
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztnedman1 View Post
Did you not watch F1 last year? Vettel almost lost the championship (and never lead during the season) because of reliability issues. I believe some of the drivers were close to their alloted engines too.

Fair point!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2908659)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, I don't see it this way at all.

The more cars that finish, the more chance every driver and team has of showing their speed performance over a race distance, and we are also going to have more cars and drivers racing each other for the duration.

I prefer to know that everyone is almost guaranteed to finish and let them sort it out as to which order that will be in.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2908721)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Absolute and total reliability is not desirable, no.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2908971)   #32
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
No, I don't see it this way at all.

The more cars that finish, the more chance every driver and team has of showing their speed performance over a race distance, and we are also going to have more cars and drivers racing each other for the duration.

I prefer to know that everyone is almost guaranteed to finish and let them sort it out as to which order that will be in.

That would be the ideal!

Goes back to the cars being capable of racing one another and the driver being a more important factor in final performance.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2909106)   #33
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer to see teams earning points/podiums/wins/whatever, rather than being gifted them by poor reliability, so I think this is just another whinge by Trulli because Lotus stand no chance of scoring points unless many cars ahead of them retire.

I wonder if in 2000 and 2001 when he was at Jordan, and lost a lot of points through unreliability, he was thinking "my car has just broken down, this is so exciting!" every time he pulled off the track...