Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2907354)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Brands Hatch GP Proposals

Hi folks,

Anyone remember these?

Very interesting stuff, indeed.

Particularly fond of the 1992 ideas. That 'new' section looks absolutely thunderous! It's just so hard to imagine.

I wondered if anyone had any memories of these proposals?

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2907372)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember being (naively) excited about these. That was when Nicola Foulston was in charge...hmm. Was working at Brands (as a 10 year old in 92) in the Commentary box with Brian Jones and Ben Edwards, and they quickly told me that there was no chance of it happening.

Nicola had deep pockets with short arms, as it were ;-)

Shame, but Brands is just impossible for big single seaters to overtake on and I can never see the circuit attracting top-line open-top racing again...and that's a sad thought.

Oh, would have been great had they carried out these plans...!
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2907416)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ahh, it would have been nice to see F1 cars whizz around Brands Hatch, but I accept it will never happen. Whilst Brands(the GP layout) is a challenging track, it is nigh on impossible for a single seater car to over take there. Plus no run offs and the noise concerns!

A shame as I was a former native of Kent so have many good memories of Brands Hatch. Plus I remember the amasing races of 1985 and 1986. The sight of the turbo charged cars going around there, Senna's amasing pole in 1985 and Mansell's great victories in 1985 and 1986.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2907445)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I remember being quite excited about the possibility of an F1 race at Brands when it was announced in 1999 (for 2002), but when it was realised that the circuit would basiclly be altered far too much, i was glad that the race didn't go there.

I was there for the 2000 WSB, the same year that Bernie put the British GP in April. Although i was fortunate about where i parked that year at Silverstone, i was out of the car park and home (120 odd miles) in less time that it took me to get out the car park at Brands (nearly 3 hours) and i only live 15 miles away. Gawd knows how bad it would be if an F1 GP were to be there.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2907487)   #5
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track plans were a paper excercise in order to find a gullible buyer with plenty of money and little knowledge of motorsport in the UK.
They worked and Nicola got rich
Old 29 Jun 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2907794)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Oh really?

Thanks for this guys. I just wondered how serious the proposal was - how far along it went etc

I'd love to make one of these tracks for rFactor, but i'd need more data, which unfortunately, probably doesn't exist?

Selby