Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Jul 2019, 12:21 (Ref:3917153)   #1
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Super Cars Inc. Driving Up a Dead End Street

How long can SC keep running out of date cars in the form of the Holden & Falcon before they have to call it quits and actually address the question of what to do next. Have the more informed members here any knowledge on this matter and where they might be going, is there actually a business plan to replace the present majority of the field and if so with what? It is becoming a concern I would think as the cars will be at least 3 years old at the end of next year and the rumours of a Camaro entry may be short circuited as well by news that it may be killed off by 2023. https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/...planned-report

I think SC have been a victim of circumstance here in a perfect storm and the plan it runs on now has become defunct due to circumstances beyond it's control. I know this has been sort of discussed before but that was over a year ago when things were not so dire with the age of the cars. A lot of people have a lot of money wrapped up in the series and I bet they are asking questions as well.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 13:03 (Ref:3917160)   #2
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making an unwanted FWD hatchback into a "Supercar" has to be the biggest joke ever played on this category.

That turning around this predicament onto the RWD V8 Mustang for fitting their rules is not only an oxymoron, but also a travesty.

The rules certainly need some sort of adjustment - they are arguably worse than where Group C was back in 1983, a year before it was aborted.
Old 12 Jul 2019, 13:16 (Ref:3917163)   #3
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
How long can SC keep running out of date cars in the form of the Holden & Falcon before they have to call it quits and actually address the question of what to do next. Have the more informed members here any knowledge on this matter and where they might be going, is there actually a business plan to replace the present majority of the field and if so with what? It is becoming a concern I would think as the cars will be at least 3 years old at the end of next year and the rumours of a Camaro entry may be short circuited as well by news that it may be killed off by 2023. https://www.thedrive.com/news/28680/...planned-report

I think SC have been a victim of circumstance here in a perfect storm and the plan it runs on now has become defunct due to circumstances beyond it's control. I know this has been sort of discussed before but that was over a year ago when things were not so dire with the age of the cars. A lot of people have a lot of money wrapped up in the series and I bet they are asking questions as well.
Um... Falcon?

The only outdated model is the Altima

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't understand the point of your post
Old 12 Jul 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3917169)   #4
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M91 View Post
Um... Falcon? The

The only outdated model is the Altima

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I don't understand the point of your post
Maybe you don't realise the only RWD V8 currently being sold locally is the Mustang, which is relevant to the series; and it is currently being penalised for doing exactly that (i.e. strictly fitting into the rules).
Old 13 Jul 2019, 00:05 (Ref:3917248)   #5
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Maybe you don't realise the only RWD V8 currently being sold locally is the Mustang, which is relevant to the series; and it is currently being penalised for doing exactly that (i.e. strictly fitting into the rules).
No, its been penalised because it has made a joke of the rules and shouldn't have been allowed as presented.

Merc, Nissan, Falcon, VF and ZB all used as many production parts as possible and therefore were a strong likeness of the original car, and engine and specific team performance aside, were all relatively equal and suited the competition.

Other than issues created with the height of the roof Ford and Penske completely took the ****, to the point where everything on the car is bespoke, because they shrunk and repositioned all the headlights and so on, extended the rear deck for a double wing etc, purely for aero benefit. The road going Mustang is a mean looking thing but its front has the aero of a brick. The Camaro will too.

Meanwhile the Marc car and TA2 look more like the road car, and Penske has kicked an own goal by creating a car so far out of the intentions of the rules and showing just how outdated the testing regime was, that I am not sure anybody will bother homologating another car unless it is addressed. People have ****ed and moaned about 888 for years, but the combined resources of Penske & Ford Motorsport easily eclipses the whole Supercars field.

Supercars badly needed Ford coming back, but I think in hindsight that Dave Stuart may not have been expert enough or internationally connected enough to do the role he was tasked with - and I think we're seeing that addressed now Adrian Burgess and Campbell Little, two very smart guys with strong backgrounds inside and outside the series.

Meanwhile even with adjustments, Mustang drivers of talent can repeatedly drive through the field, and the car is flattering those of lesser ability.

Scotty is going to have the series locked up ridiculously early, and it isn't good for the series. If not for the friendly fire incidents and inconsistency, nobody else would even get a look in.

To be fair, Scotty won in a GRM Holden, Volvo, the DJRTP Falcon and is killing everybody in the Mustang. He deserves all the credit for putting it together no matter what, but the issues around the car do take the shine off. Somewhat like Skaife in the GTR.

But it also seems that DJRTP are spending more to run their 2 cars than the next 3 teams put together, and this isn't really good.

After a remarkable period of stability I have shades of Group A or current F1. "Creative" rule interpretations, unsustainable spending, and a runaway champion half way through the season.

The only interest might be whether the Mustang can be beaten at Bathurst.

Meanwhile I've been watching TCR most of the year, and haven't bothered to watch a Supercar race in its entirety.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 00:38 (Ref:3917252)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spot on.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 00:43 (Ref:3917253)   #7
Forda
Veteran

Hardly.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 02:21 (Ref:3917257)   #8
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do Penske make and enforce the rules?

They're more powerful than I thought!!!!
Old 13 Jul 2019, 03:06 (Ref:3917260)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mixer nailed it. And I'm a Ford fan of sorts. Roland said to go build a better mousetrap, Penske and Ford took up the challenge, and the end result is, it looks nothing like the original mousetrap.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 03:52 (Ref:3917264)   #10
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we keep the discussion on the age of the Oz derived from a production car race cars they being Falcon and Holden. By the end of next year any relevance to anything is absolutely out the window. They won't be even vaguely connected to any manufacturer in the way they were and by racing standards could be said to be on the age old pension (debatable). New cars can be built but the relevance and all that SC stood for no longer exists.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3917269)   #11
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can we keep the discussion on the age of the Oz derived from a production car race cars they being Falcon and Holden. By the end of next year any relevance to anything is absolutely out the window. They won't be even vaguely connected to any manufacturer in the way they were and by racing standards could be said to be on the age old pension (debatable). New cars can be built but the relevance and all that SC stood for no longer exists.
The Mustang proves it doesn't have to be Holden v Ford but it does have to be market relevant, and it has to be exciting, BUT to entice any new entrant the rules and procedures have to be sorted out so someone else doesn't spend a motza to end up embarrassed.

I feel like other than the parity gripe, what the show is missing for me is the rawness of the cars 15 or so years ago, over time they've become so refined and so equal that we're missing the manhandling (especially since COTF) that I used to enjoy watching so much.

Have been watching some 2003-2009 races lately and I kinda just feel the more refined and "perfect" the cars got, the less there was between the cars and the more processional it got.

To look at the way raw newcomers like Lowndes and Ambrose could be so fast without a lot of experience is just not really something you could see today. Back then in a good car if you had the raw talent you could do something special.

Somehow now TCR feels a bit like that. A bit unpredictable, especially with the rear tyre temperature, and the results can be a bit all over the place. Yes its more artificial with sporting parity rather than technical parity, but does that affect the show?

There are other series like Argentinian TC series that survived the manufacturers leaving. Its not to say its impossible but the series is at a cross-roads. The cars have got too expensive and they are on rails. Things like NZV8s, TA2 and Marc all show that you can put something on the track with good speed and great sound without going to the high cost of a current Supercar - particularly in the chassis and engine departments.

Having multiple teams iterating on these parts for incremental gains that make no difference to the show is a big problem. There's a line to draw between allowing teams to innovate and allowing spending that is detrimental to the series.

The problem I see is that the decisions that could have been taken to curb spending in the past - like further controlled parts, single supplier for chassis, crate motors etc, all go against the wishes of so many teams that are heavily invested in staff and infrastructure to build cars, and so in some ways they are their own worst enemies.

There's no doubt, in an alternate universe, a field of Marc Mazda 3s, Focuses, Golfs etc running around with crate V8s making great noise, covered in the livery of brands we know and drivers we support, would pull a crowd. But it is more akin to sports sedans than V8s as we know them.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 05:59 (Ref:3917289)   #12
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
No, its been penalised because it has made a joke of the rules and shouldn't have been allowed as presented.

Merc, Nissan, Falcon, VF and ZB all used as many production parts as possible and therefore were a strong likeness of the original car, and engine and specific team performance aside, were all relatively equal and suited the competition.

Other than issues created with the height of the roof Ford and Penske completely took the ****, to the point where everything on the car is bespoke, because they shrunk and repositioned all the headlights and so on, extended the rear deck for a double wing etc, purely for aero benefit. The road going Mustang is a mean looking thing but its front has the aero of a brick. The Camaro will too.

Meanwhile the Marc car and TA2 look more like the road car, and Penske has kicked an own goal by creating a car so far out of the intentions of the rules and showing just how outdated the testing regime was, that I am not sure anybody will bother homologating another car unless it is addressed. People have ****ed and moaned about 888 for years, but the combined resources of Penske & Ford Motorsport easily eclipses the whole Supercars field.

Supercars badly needed Ford coming back, but I think in hindsight that Dave Stuart may not have been expert enough or internationally connected enough to do the role he was tasked with - and I think we're seeing that addressed now Adrian Burgess and Campbell Little, two very smart guys with strong backgrounds inside and outside the series.

Meanwhile even with adjustments, Mustang drivers of talent can repeatedly drive through the field, and the car is flattering those of lesser ability.

Scotty is going to have the series locked up ridiculously early, and it isn't good for the series. If not for the friendly fire incidents and inconsistency, nobody else would even get a look in.

To be fair, Scotty won in a GRM Holden, Volvo, the DJRTP Falcon and is killing everybody in the Mustang. He deserves all the credit for putting it together no matter what, but the issues around the car do take the shine off. Somewhat like Skaife in the GTR.

But it also seems that DJRTP are spending more to run their 2 cars than the next 3 teams put together, and this isn't really good.

After a remarkable period of stability I have shades of Group A or current F1. "Creative" rule interpretations, unsustainable spending, and a runaway champion half way through the season.

The only interest might be whether the Mustang can be beaten at Bathurst.

Meanwhile I've been watching TCR most of the year, and haven't bothered to watch a Supercar race in its entirety.
What production parts did the VF, ZB, Merc, Nissan, Falcon etc.. have?
Old 13 Jul 2019, 06:10 (Ref:3917290)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tail lights, inner pillar skins, driver's door, and some other nickel and dime parts.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3917297)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Tail lights, inner pillar skins, driver's door, and some other nickel and dime parts.
Headlights, and clearly until last year, bonnets and roofs!
Old 13 Jul 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3917301)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Nissan probably still uses the OEM headlights, but the others are formed as part of the bumper with a polycarbonate lense glued over the top.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3917302)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Nissan probably still uses the OEM headlights, but the others are formed as part of the bumper with a polycarbonate lense glued over the top.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...odore-supercar

Likely that VF and FGX had about 50-60% factory parts externally, because of closeness to factory for development.

ZB more like 20-30% exterior parts, biggest part being the bonnet, which is original aluminium.

Quote:
Under the skin it’s much the same story. Door frames, side pressings and some infill parts that connect the panels to the chassis are sourced from Germany, but much more is designed in-house than when Holden teams were supplied ‘spoils’ off the Commodore line at Elizabeth. Says Cauchi: “We’re still a little bit reliant [on the factory for parts], but probably only [to the tune of] 20 to 30 percent, whereas we used to be 50 to 60 percent reliant.”
Quote:
Up front, aero modifications are only allowed below the bumper line, so within those confines the key change was an aggressive step shaped into the cheek just in front of the wheelarch. That change delivers a little more (compensating) front downforce, but also costs some drag.
This is interesting and I wonder what they interpreted differently to the Mustang.

Anyway point being the cars drifted further from production parts for practical reasons, and Ford literally made no attempt to use any production parts.

There are various pictures around but the most striking comparison for me was with Enforcer and the Dude, where it was kinda obvious that Ford did whatever they had to in order to make the thing slippery even if it ended up a caricature of the real car. There's a certain amount of licence you have to take but if you put road car vs race car for any of the previous makes, and there's parity there that you just don't see with the Mustang front end.

I have no doubt if this car still looked like a Mustang, that between Penske's resources, Ludo's demon tweaks and Scott's driving, it would still win. That's the shame of it that I see.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3917309)   #17
Umai Naa
Veteran

I find it amazing how 5 other bodyshells could be successfully fitted to the COTF chassis, with only minor manipulation.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3917338)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Ruthless racers who pushed grey areas until they broke?
Old 13 Jul 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3917344)   #19
Casper
Veteran

Parity caused the lack lustre racing by making them all the same. The rules should be loosened up and allow a bit of individual thinking, it isn't solely cost causing the issue it is the tunnel vision that says they must all be the same.

Now back on topic, what cars are going to replace what is racing now because soon these will be able to race on historic plates.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3917378)   #20
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Parity caused the lack lustre racing by making them all the same. The rules should be loosened up and allow a bit of individual thinking, it isn't solely cost causing the issue it is the tunnel vision that says they must all be the same.

Now back on topic, what cars are going to replace what is racing now because soon these will be able to race on historic plates.
Well the Mustang has just had a refresh and the Insignia hasn't been out long, so I don't see them being out of date. They got 10 season out of the Falcon, yet the new Holden is too old at a season and a half?
Old 13 Jul 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3917418)   #21
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Que? No one runs a Falcon in Supercars anymore do they?
Old 14 Jul 2019, 21:20 (Ref:3917695)   #22
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the series is becoming less and less relevant all the time, people are walking away in droves and it isn't because the 'Mustang' is winning, it is because of the stupid rules and interpretation of them, from penalties to the 'cars', I call them 'sports sedans, they aren't production cars, they fit more into the 'sports sedans' category
Old 15 Jul 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3917733)   #23
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the importance of qualifying, when the difference in grid spots can come down to whether the sun is out on your qualifying lap, I reckon you've got a problem.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 06:59 (Ref:3917753)   #24
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Given the importance of qualifying, when the difference in grid spots can come down to whether the sun is out on your qualifying lap, I reckon you've got a problem.
That might speak to the level of parity within the series though, which is arguably a strong, positive feature.

If not for Scotty/Ludo/Penske the racing this year would have been fantastic with varied results and good fights- exactly what you'd expect from a parity series.

Trying to entice manufacturers with the two door option has led to the current situation - it was always going to be akward to homologate substantially different body shapes.

I've always maintained a move away from manufacturers would be successful. Why don't we throw the drivers in Super 5000 cars? I don't think you'd lose any fans, plus you'd probably gain former F1 fans from overseas, yearning for simpler, louder cars. Don't have to worry about the whims of manufacturers, what models are market relevant etc.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3917812)   #25
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Why don't we throw the drivers in Super 5000 cars? I don't think you'd lose any fans, plus you'd probably gain former F1 fans from overseas, yearning for simpler, louder cars.
Because unfortunately single seaters historically have never been as popular as touring cars in this country.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it's somewhere between Marc Cars and TCR. I love hot hatches always will and so TCR floats my boat. It's not what everyone wants though.

I'm happy to admit my tastes aren't the same as eveyones but not a lot on here can do that.