Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Oct 2019, 14:45 (Ref:3931913)   #51
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Are you not thinking of Arena / Team AON?
They were a little more blatant, putting a much intercepted radio instruction out. Twice
Old 4 Oct 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3931943)   #52
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have split off the discussion regarding 2015 into a separate thread.. please feel free to continue there 😄

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154509
Old 4 Oct 2019, 18:25 (Ref:3931950)   #53
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I have split off the discussion regarding 2015 into a separate thread.. please feel free to continue there 😄

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154509
Thank you! 🙌🏼
Old 4 Oct 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3931976)   #54
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

MrsDoubtfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But what a strong message it would send to any other driver thinking of joining WSR.

It would clearly show that no driver is bigger than the team, and that egos get you nowhere at WSR.

It might make for a difficult few days, but the long-term gain may be worth it?
Re-Reading this this evening and it really is daft. WSR are just like other teams, they rely on paying drivers to continue to trade and you can’t just drop one on a whim. And why would you even if you could. What if Colin is taken out in R1 and scores no points all weekend?

Also critical is equal support for your customers whilst any of them can still win the championship. Otherwise why would anyone pay to race with them? What sort of message would that be to other drivers?

There is no big AJ ego causing issues. In fact if anything WSR owe AJ, with all the mechanical issues in 2018 that took him out of contention - and let’s not forget his defence against Ingram in last years R2 at the Brands finale which wrapped up the championship for Colin on a day where by Colin’s standards he was all over the place. If Colin has another finale like last years where he only scored 4 points, WSR and BMW will be mighty glad they have AJ also in the mix.

If I were AJ I’d be asking the team why did Colin and Matt Neal’s tyre changes take around 23 seconds less than AJs (from the TSL lap charts)? Because if they had taken the same time Colin would have been nowhere near AJ on track and this debate wouldn’t be happening. Cuts both ways....
Old 4 Oct 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3931977)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Cuts both ways....
True, and that is something AJ only seems to grasp after the fact.

It is clear from the amount of comments from various sources that many people feel AJ has one of the largest egos in the paddock. There can't be many drivers on the grid who he hasn't been critical of in some way, and that comes home to roost eventually.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 20:38 (Ref:3931978)   #56
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

Quote:
True, and that is something AJ only seems to grasp after the fact.

It is clear from the amount of comments from various sources that many people feel AJ has one of the largest egos in the paddock. There can't be many drivers on the grid who he hasn't been critical of in some way, and that comes home to roost eventually.
We’ll have to disagree on that one. One of the most striking things about AJ in my view is the complete absence of ego.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3931982)   #57
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
We’ll have to disagree on that one. One of the most striking things about AJ in my view is the complete absence of ego.
I'm with crmalcolm on this one and plenty who have worked with him.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 21:07 (Ref:3931984)   #58
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mind you, he, for quite a while, raced only in his family team. Once he left there, it took him 3 teams before he finally found one he stayed at. But his attitude isn’t helping him
Old 5 Oct 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3932044)   #59
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Mind you, he, for quite a while, raced only in his family team. Once he left there, it took him 3 teams before he finally found one he stayed at. But his attitude isn’t helping him
He would have stayed at Motorbase but the sponsor wanted all three cars in the same livery which didn't fit with his Pirtek backing as I understand it.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3932046)   #60
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I'm with crmalcolm on this one and plenty who have worked with him.
Plenty of paddock opinion on who might be Champ. Generally anyone but him. I don’t think WSR will miss him next year.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3932048)   #61
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Genuine question - what attitude? Specifically?
Old 5 Oct 2019, 09:58 (Ref:3932054)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
His attitude towards other competitors, even if you can sometimes see his point
Old 5 Oct 2019, 10:19 (Ref:3932060)   #63
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
Genuine question - what attitude? Specifically?
If you read his contributions to 'Goodwood', you'll get a flavour. 'Examples such as:
Sitting on the grid I looked around thinking that I’ll be lucky to get through lap one unscathed'

If his opinion of other drivers is that they will probably hit him before the race has even started, it's not surprising that he's seen to have a attitude.

He's been critical of so many others in the BTCC (and of the series as a whole), that I'm sure there are more than a few who will advise him to make sure the car following doesn't hit his arse on the way out.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 12:27 (Ref:3932068)   #64
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
He would have stayed at Motorbase but the sponsor wanted all three cars in the same livery which didn't fit with his Pirtek backing as I understand it.
That isn't even close to the reason.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3932074)   #65
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
That isn't even close to the reason.
You know, when I read stuff like that in press releases I always think "who do they think is going to be taken in by that", but seemingly people are.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3932077)   #66
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
You know, when I read stuff like that in press releases I always think "who do they think is going to be taken in by that", but seemingly people are.
Maybe because not everyone is a total cynic and can only base their views on what they're told in the press and see with their own eyes.

Three has been a major part of Shredded Wheat marketing for years and all three cars appeared in that livery. Maybe it wasn't solely for that reason but Pirtek were given as the reason in every story from reputable journalists that I read at the time.

Of course anyone can say that every reason given for anything happening is completely different because they know someone who knows someone who knows someone but for the rest of us mere mortals we just have to assume that someone among the many interviews is telling the truth.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3932085)   #67
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Maybe because not everyone is a total cynic and can only base their views on what they're told in the press and see with their own eyes.

Three has been a major part of Shredded Wheat marketing for years and all three cars appeared in that livery.
Shredded Wheat marketing always played on the fact that 3 was too many.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3932098)   #68
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Shredded Wheat marketing always played on the fact that 3 was too many.
That's a bit of an urban myth. The 'bet you can't eat three' tag line hasn't been used on an advert since the mid 1980s.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3932101)   #69
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That's a bit of an urban myth. The 'bet you can't eat three' tag line hasn't been used on an advert since the mid 1980s.
It is the only reference Shredded Wheat have ever made to three though. So any implication they wanted 3 cars fully liveries doesn't really stand.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3932102)   #70
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
let's be serious

the Motorbase Ford is not competitive and AJ jumped in a better boat at WSR

the only time Motorbase came close to WSR level was 2011 when Motorbase got Turbos Ford while WSR soldiered on the non turbo E90s and low budget
Old 5 Oct 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3932105)   #71
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Motorbase and/or Shredded Wheat was so hung up on running 3 cars in the yellow livery, how come that this year they were more than happy to run Hamilton in another livery? And continued to do so at Silverstone!
Old 5 Oct 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3932108)   #72
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

Quote:
If you read his contributions to 'Goodwood', you'll get a flavour. 'Examples such as:
Sitting on the grid I looked around thinking that I’ll be lucky to get through lap one unscathed'

If his opinion of other drivers is that they will probably hit him before the race has even started, it's not surprising that he's seen to have a attitude.

He's been critical of so many others in the BTCC (and of the series as a whole), that I'm sure there are more than a few who will advise him to make sure the car following doesn't hit his arse on the way out.
Heinous crimes indeed. So from that you make assertions about ego, bust ups with other drivers and that no one will be sorry to see him go? That’s quite a leap.

It is of course fair to say that the further back you are on the grid the more likely you are to be caught up in an accident - though it seems to be a little better this year than last. And also that drivers know they can safely go wheel to wheel with some of their competitors and not with others. Not exactly breaking news.

In any case, I imagine most drivers’ relationships are formed from interaction with each other at circuits and not Goodwood write ups after the event. AJ will have some mates on the grid, some who are indifferent and some who bear a grudge over some incident in the past. Just like any other driver.

I’d like to see one of the two BMWs win next weekend. AJ has more wins than anyone and suffered massively from the Donington shunt. Colin has driven exceptionally well even if he didn’t click with the car quite so quickly. The car is good, WSR are a class act, and both drivers are top notch, so it would be a travesty if Alan’s boost, weight and ride height meddling in the name of entertainment were to lead to the title going elsewhere.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3932117)   #73
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If Motorbase and/or Shredded Wheat was so hung up on running 3 cars in the yellow livery, how come that this year they were more than happy to run Hamilton in another livery? And continued to do so at Silverstone!
Shredded Wheat wasn't originally on Tordoff car neither.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3932121)   #74
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
let's be serious

the Motorbase Ford is not competitive and AJ jumped in a better boat at WSR

the only time Motorbase came close to WSR level was 2011 when Motorbase got Turbos Ford while WSR soldiered on the non turbo E90s and low budget
That has nothing to do with why Jordan didn't drive a second season at Motorbase.
Old 5 Oct 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3932123)   #75
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
then what was it ?

either way it didn't hurt Aj's career one bit , it was a step in the right direction