Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jan 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3877209)   #326
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Think I`ll confine myself to racing in the UK for 2019 or at least until the dust settles. I`m fortunate in having the choice. I only hope things work out for you chaps having to take customers cars abroad.
We used to take rally cars into Europe in the 1970`s and I have personal experience of the chaos one uninformed/snotty port official can cause.
We used to take Rally cars round Europe and Scandinavia in the late 80s and early 90s, so I know exactly where you’re coming from! Many hours lost at Borders- and that’s when the customs people weren’t on strike. At least in those days the customs posts were prominent and the people used to the processes involved....
Old 19 Jan 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3877212)   #327
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot imagine that things will be any where near as easy in the ports when the end of March arrives. Going back to the 60s, 70s and up to the mid 80s, we had to employ staff at the docks to handle all the paperwork and VAT for all our goods coming in and going out.

The only difference that I can see now is that a lot of that can now be dealt with electronically. One can only hope that no matter how we leave the EU in two months, whether hard, soft or somewhere in between, that every one importing and exporting will have the necessary systems in place. And that includes our Customs and Excise wallahs.
Old 19 Jan 2019, 21:47 (Ref:3877218)   #328
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Well I'm planning on Spa, Mondello Park, Copenhagen and Dijon but luckily nothing before end of June and we should know all about it by then.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 06:05 (Ref:3877255)   #329
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Well I'm planning- luckily nothing before end of June and we should know all about it by then.
Good move. That could help!
Old 20 Jan 2019, 09:27 (Ref:3877268)   #330
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
When it comes to our exit or not, I keep using the saying “in a worse case scenario”, but now totally confused as to what that would be.....
Old 20 Jan 2019, 10:01 (Ref:3877275)   #331
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We won't leave. I said so from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jan 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3877283)   #332
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

The only difference that I can see now is that a lot of that can now be dealt with electronically.

If there are systems in place and working.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3877285)   #333
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well of course the systems are in pace. Arriving at many non EU countries, you can still use the E gates or they just swipe your passport at the desk. No more stamping.

The same applies to goods arriving at non EU ports. The only time there are difficties is when a customs/VAT regime is put in place and the local customs people suddenly lose a profit stream.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3877288)   #334
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
When it comes to our exit or not, I keep using the saying “in a worse case scenario”, but now totally confused as to what that would be.....
Staying in the EU is my worst nightmare.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3877290)   #335
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anybody see the Autosport piece about MSUK writing to government opposing a no deal Brexit? It was in behalf of the F1 teams. One can imagine that the carnet requirements quite spook them. It's also become quite common to carry spare parts as hand baggage when a critical update is required at the track.

I will think twice about racing in Europe, even if the team wants to go. I'm sure my drivers won't want to pay for me to do the paperwork before or during the trip. Which is a shame as the Belgian championship is a natural move on for some of the guys.

Old 20 Jan 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3877298)   #336
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The ATA and CPD carnets are (or at least are up to now) far from ‘electronic’, and consist of multiple colour coded copies, and dupicates of the copies. At a border the goods can be checked against the carnet physically, then appropriate copies are signed, stamped and handed over to the officials. Fortunately if we’re out of the EU then the process will only have to be carried out at port of exit and port of entry during outward and return trips, even if crossing other EU borders in between. So only 4 stops at customs! In the pre EU-EEC days it was at every border.....
Old 20 Jan 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3877301)   #337
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
How do lorries from outside the EU get on, I don't believe Turkish trucks stop at every border and they certainly pass straight through dover or the folkstone without stopping, apart from the usual spot checks.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3877304)   #338
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tim, Turkey has a deal with the EU.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3877312)   #339
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Tim, Turkey has a deal with the EU.
I hope it isn't like our prospective one
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3877328)   #340
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On the news that 1200 ECMT permits have been issued to haulage companies. The deadline to apply has now passed, but the suggestion is that 40000 permits were needed......

Apparently the government ‘have contingency plans’.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:24 (Ref:3877333)   #341
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Being no commercial freight you'll have soon a special accommodation I guess, same for passenger cars. Probably they'll have to go step by step. We all are kept under pressure, not a new game coming from politicians but at the end of the day common sens will prevail. Just in case, look at some trafic exceptions, like… circuses !
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3877336)   #342
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Common sense, Gerard? This is politicians we’re talking about!
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3877338)   #343
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
On the news that 1200 ECMT permits have been issued to haulage companies. The deadline to apply has now passed, but the suggestion is that 40000 permits were needed......

Apparently the government ‘have contingency plans’.
It's no problem, there's plenty of printing companies out there, they just need to make sure the serial numbers aren't all the same.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 17:37 (Ref:3877351)   #344
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Common sense, Gerard? This is politicians we’re talking about!
Yes Mike, sometimes we've better laugh as you already said. Just imagine we suggest such a scenario to any movie maker we would be kicked out right away. When Hollande was at wheel he went as low as 12% of positive opinion. After two attacks in Paris, he went up to circa 22%, just saying he will protect "le peuple de France". Are people made for democracy and dont we have the politicians we deserve, I wonder…
Old 20 Jan 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3877388)   #345
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Anybody see the Autosport piece about MSUK writing to government opposing a no deal Brexit? It was in behalf of the F1 teams. One can imagine that the carnet requirements quite spook them. It's also become quite common to carry spare parts as hand baggage when a critical update is required at the track.

I will think twice about racing in Europe, even if the team wants to go. I'm sure my drivers won't want to pay for me to do the paperwork before or during the trip. Which is a shame as the Belgian championship is a natural move on for some of the guys.

Mr Gloomanddoom strikes again.... what is it you youngsters are so afraid of?
Old 20 Jan 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3877400)   #346
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Most people seem more concerned with how Brexit will effect them personally, rather than the effect on the country as a whole.

I may be lucky but I see no downside for myself, but expect the UK to thrive once free of foreign interference in our affairs.

Being old I have faith in British pluck!
Old 20 Jan 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3877401)   #347
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Most people seem more concerned with how Brexit will effect them personally, rather than the effect on the country as a whole.

I may be lucky but I see no downside for myself, but expect the UK to thrive once free of foreign interference in our affairs.

Being old I have faith in British pluck!
being old...no such thing.My Grandad up and till he was about 85 used to drive his reliant robin.Seeing all these modern vehicles and then you see it lurking around.FANTASTIC.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3877406)   #348
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Haven't been called "youngster" for so long. I forgot you were so old.

I just CBA with all the paperwork eight or ten times per year. Too much like hard work when I could be doing something more fun.

Old 20 Jan 2019, 23:11 (Ref:3877413)   #349
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too effing confused about the whole thing to work out what Brexit has got to do with potholes!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6029.png  
Old 21 Jan 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3877449)   #350
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England

There may actually be a sensible reason though, as apparently all roadworks in the area are to be banned (unless emergency) between Feb and end of April to avoid any possibilty of them adding to congestion.....