Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 Aug 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3844651)   #1251
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Probably they need a new chassis to see the full potential of the NISMO engine.
In that context, they can also drop the LMP1 plans and move to GTE Am. I don't think that is what they are looking for.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3844713)   #1252
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
In that context, they can also drop the LMP1 plans and move to GTE Am. I don't think that is what they are looking for.
Team members wanted of course a new chassis and others had also the idea to run a customer chassis like Dallara or Ginetta, but the boss Dr. Colin Kolles doesn't want it.

Car lost 4 laps due to a repair to front and a replacement of the whole underbody after a contact of Oliver Webb. Looses later 12 minutes more after the wiring of the gearbox made problems. Later Rene Binder lost the car and hit the walls, so hard to say about the potential. Rene Binder tweeted that the starting position was far away from the car's potential. They did a lot of development work but had also more try and error than larger teams. They would need a solid race to have a look on their car's real potential. Wind tunnel test would also help but cost too much
Old 19 Aug 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3844783)   #1253
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Seems like the team needs a shot in the arm in terms of funds to get more talent and more resources to get on top of the reliability. Maybe it's best they trundle along with what they have and save money for the new rules.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3870294)   #1254
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Did everyone miss this piece of comedy? https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...rcar-for-2020/

A well-balanced person is one who finds both sides of an issue laughable.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3870556)   #1255
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Did everyone miss this piece of comedy? https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...rcar-for-2020/

A well-balanced person is one who finds both sides of an issue laughable.
I didn't catch the humor, could you point it out? Is it their aspirations to win LM? Or to come up with their own 'hypercar'? I think at least the latter is realistic seeing as how they've been racing for just about every season of the WEC so far in lmp1. At least partially. No other team has done that except Toyota.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3870662)   #1256
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I didn't catch the humor, could you point it out? Is it their aspirations to win LM? Or to come up with their own 'hypercar'?

Both are very funny. How can they have aspirations to win LM if they don't even manage to finish it properly? It just ain't their story.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3870664)   #1257
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But they try and they're loyal to the series. They deserve credit for that.
Old 16 Dec 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3870686)   #1258
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And to be fair, as of now at least, LMP1 is about the only place that a team can run and build their own cars.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3870913)   #1259
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But they try and they're loyal to the series. They deserve credit for that.

I give you that. Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable, than loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And to be fair, as of now at least, LMP1 is about the only place that a team can run and build their own cars.

Not sure it still can make sense for them if they wish to win Le Mans.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3870924)   #1260
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect they know they're never likely to win Le Mans.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3870937)   #1261
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If they don't enter LMP1, they literally cannot win. If they do enter LMP1, they have a chance, however small. Don't get me wrong, I'll still have a chuckle when the next car somehow still sets itself on fire, but if this is considered the worst team on the grid, then we're miles ahead of where we were 10-15 years ago.

The only way to guarantee failure is to not try.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3870940)   #1262
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes there are things to smile about, criticise and wonder why. However, sometimes it should be remembered they aren’t just some dude posting on social media. They are racing at Le Mans, well until it catches on fire. That still earns you 68,000 more cool points.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 23:14 (Ref:3870990)   #1263
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Yes there are things to smile about, criticise and wonder why. However, sometimes it should be remembered they aren’t just some dude posting on social media. They are racing at Le Mans, well until it catches on fire. That still earns you 68,000 more cool points.
68,000 seems a bit low to me, but maybe that's relative a guy who likely won't even ever make it to LM never mind actually racing and building my own car. So I'd say unlike the rest, when Kolles says they're making a car the response is cool, let's see what they come with
Old 18 Dec 2018, 00:32 (Ref:3871001)   #1264
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
... and regarding their level of performance and (lack of) results:

For those who have followed CART/Indycar: remember how many years Dale Coyne Racing used to be at the back of the pack.
By now they have won 6 races, and while still not a true top team (like Ganassi/Penske/Andretti) nowadays at none of the races they can be counted out as a potential winner or podium finisher.

Who would have thought that in the mid 80's - late 90's ?
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3871234)   #1265
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where exactly does the money come from for all this? - who benefits & how exactly does any accountant justify the spend
Old 19 Dec 2018, 11:07 (Ref:3871362)   #1266
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have the same question. We are told modern LMP1 is extremely expensive, it should be cost capped and so on. Only watchmakers and bank owners are able to have a private LMP1 team. And Kolles, with almost no sponsorship at all. Who are those ENSO? If you can build a modern LMP1 with almost no sponsorship, then why to destroy this class? Or budgets are high? Then, it's not understandable how Kolles is able do keep racing for such a long time.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3871369)   #1267
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I was wondering the same thing about ENSO and who they are. With Kolles involved anything is possible. That said good on em for having a crack. Used to not have a lot of love for them but over the last couple of years that changed and while they’re not gonna win anything I respect their commitment to the category. If they want to keep going under the new rules all the best to them. Let’s hope we see less fire.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 23:34 (Ref:3871521)   #1268
TF110
Veteran

United States
A couple of days ago ByKolles put up a job(s) ad on their site. Now you see that endurance info and sc365 are running the story http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/byk...amme-hypercar/

All the talk about the team and how they are still around, looks like they will continue to be around for the new hypercar rules as well.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3871864)   #1269
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I was wondering the same thing about ENSO and who they are.

ENSO seems to be a mysterious company. But the world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.
Old 21 Dec 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3871871)   #1270
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i am British so supporting the underdog is in my blood, always loved the Mazda's when i first started going to le mans in the early days when they seemed doomed to never be close to winning and look what happened to them, i was there and the entire pit straight cheered them home even those jaguar fans who had to watch the jags take the rest of the podium.
Old 10 Feb 2019, 23:27 (Ref:3883062)   #1271
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Where observation is concerned, chance favours only the prepared mind. The team that aims to build a hypercar can't even sort out their engine thing?

I mean this: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...s-sebring.html
Old 12 Feb 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3883417)   #1272
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Now I understand why they are skipping Sebring. They are saving a few bucks for this: http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/byk...hypercar-lmp1/
Old 12 Feb 2019, 03:47 (Ref:3883431)   #1273
TF110
Veteran

United States
Obligatory picture of said project

I must say it looks good at least from this angle. I don't think saving up for that has anything to do with the current engine situation.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3883480)   #1274
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im so bloody confused about hypercars. Wasn't the point to provide more of a link to manufacturers and their road cars? Where does Kolles building a new flammable object fit into that philosophy? As long as the cars look good and go well I suppose I don't really care.
Old 12 Feb 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3883482)   #1275
andrewn7
Rookie

United Kingdom
andrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandrewn7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Im so bloody confused about hypercars. Wasn't the point to provide more of a link to manufacturers and their road cars? Where does Kolles building a new flammable object fit into that philosophy? As long as the cars look good and go well I suppose I don't really care.
I agree Ginger. I've been equally confused from the start about what "problem" Hypercars is designed to solve. To me it just creates far more problems than it solves, not the least of which being the design / production costs and subsequent 25-30M annual budget! As for ByKolles, much as I love the underdog, the record of cars coming back once they've been away is patchy at best, especially when its something as major as a new engine install. We can hope I guess.....