Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 20 Sep 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1714395)   #1
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Complete F1 seasons on DVD? (MERGED)

just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy or get complete f1 seasons on dvd? i would of thought the f1 people would of put them out for sale by now, make heaps of money off them!
Old 20 Sep 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1714456)   #2
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Sato san is the man with the DVD collection everyone envies
Old 20 Sep 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1714574)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Briscoe1
just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy or get complete f1 seasons on dvd? i would of thought the f1 people would of put them out for sale by now, make heaps of money off them!
If you are looking for season reviews try duke, amazon, grandprixlegends, f1store, play, or even a high street store (bored of listing places now).

Do you mean full races? Duke has a few. mainly mid-'80s.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1714628)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While we're on the subject of F1 DVDs, does anyone have that 50 Years of Formula One: Onboard (something like that) DVD? If so, is it any good?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Sep 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1714688)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've often wondered why FOM doesn't cherry pick classic races and release them on DVD in their entirety.

A boxset with a few of Senna's greatest grands prix would be guarenteed to sell like hotcakes.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1714963)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
If you are looking for season reviews try duke, amazon, grandprixlegends, f1store, play, or even a high street store (bored of listing places now).

Do you mean full races? Duke has a few. mainly mid-'80s.
thing is though, they are vhs.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1714975)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point and fairly ropey quality too. It is not all the years that are on DVD yet.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1716895)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with the old VHS tapes! I have review tapes from the 1980s and the quality is good.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1716928)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The very late tape reviews had very nice quality for me, though I do have a very good TV and VHS player.

Can't beat the DVD's though, supreme quality.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1716932)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Nothing wrong with the old VHS tapes! I have review tapes from the 1980s and the quality is good.
There are rubbish. Although I am impressed how much they managed to do with such an inherently poor system.

I find a lot of the early ones are a poor reproduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Can't beat the DVD's though, supreme quality.
They are better than tape. And more convienent. However the choice of compression level annoys me sometimes. Sometimes it is just not good enough - although I am not specifically referring to F1 DVD reviews.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1716936)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In terms of recording, yes this is annoying. But you get used to it and work around it in time.

I have got a ton of DVD's. What was a massive bulk of about 250 tapes is now compressed into a small DJ box. Fantastic. Cheaper as well, because you buy DVD's in bulk. Tapes are idiotically expensive.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1716939)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Exactly, I am still in the middle of DVDing my tapes. Videos are always going to be more expensive they need more material and engineering to put them together.

I was actually referring to the compression on some professionally produced DVDs, not home movies, that is unforgivable.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1716942)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

This was a problem with a lot of the early official motorsport DVD releases I found.

It is getting better, though there are still some very dodgy quality recordings out there!
Old 23 Sep 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1716948)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think it comes down to a lot of laziness from the production teams. It was the same with early CDs- they sounded like they'd just recorded the vinyl onto CD. Afterwards everything had to be re-released onto CD in order to do it properly - go back to the master recordings. A similar thing happened with early DVD films too.

Cynically you could suggest that this was to get people to buy it more than once, but I think the real reason is laziness and ineptitude.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1716949)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

100% correct.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1717020)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not fussy about how clear the footage is. My 1986 F1 VHS review is just as clear as my 2005 F1 DVD review.

Last edited by safc_fan89; 23 Sep 2006 at 12:27.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1720465)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Theres some hope for season reviews on DVD.

Duke have said they will be releasing their back catalogue on DVD, as and when they can, so keep an eye out.

Soon to be released are ETCC reviews from the 80's.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1722462)   #18
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duke season reviews on DVD have been available for a while now:

http://www.pitstop.net.au/pitstop/pa...vds/15777.html

Sadly there are no others on DVD until you get up to 2003 which you can get from the official F1 site.
Old 30 Sep 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1723473)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The really stupid thing is the World Superbike Reviews, up untill recently most of the classic seasons, like 2000 were 3 hr VHS reviews...with a sister 1 hr DVD review. What utter trash!
Old 30 Sep 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1723482)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
My 1986 F1 VHS review is just as clear as my 2005 F1 DVD review.
I doubt this, although it may depend what you are watching it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Duke have said they will be releasing their back catalogue on DVD, as and when they can, so keep an eye out.

Soon to be released are ETCC reviews from the 80's.
Thanks for the heads up. What years do they have? *goes off to look*
Old 1 Oct 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1724370)   #21
safc_fan89
Veteran

I tend to watch my videos and DVDs on a TV

I doubt they are the same quality, but what I mean is the difference in quality is not noticeable. The first time I watched it, I didn't think 'Oh, this has poor quality'.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1726852)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I doubt this, although it may depend what you are watching it on.Thanks for the heads up. What years do they have? *goes off to look*
Don't think they're listed yet, but I was told early 80's upto 88.
Old 3 Oct 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1726861)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I tend to watch my videos and DVDs on a TV
Well there is your trouble.
Quote:
I doubt they are the same quality, but what I mean is the difference in quality is not noticeable. The first time I watched it, I didn't think 'Oh, this has poor quality'.
Videos eat away at my soul. Although not as much as poorly produced DVDs. There is still scope to improve though.
Old 8 Oct 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1731440)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I used to think VHS was fine quality, either through official tapes, or personal recordings on SP.

Oh, how DVD's have proven I was an idiot.
Old 2 Dec 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1780473)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Don't think they're listed yet, but I was told early 80's upto 88.
http://www.dukevideo.com/Cars/DVD/Ci...985%20DVD.aspx