Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 12 Oct 2003, 22:26 (Ref:748824)   #1
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can a Kent engine become tired??????

Following years of rebuilds, can anyone tell me if a standard crossflow block can become tired.

I know that the engines are rebuilt to the highest standards etc, but surely they still have a shelf life.

Anyone that knows me will know that I have been having a few problems of late and I just wanted to ask the question. I am not blaming anyone or having a go at anyone, but after a rebuild, it still isn't right. Could it be better to replace the block or should it be as fresh as the day it was created if done right???????

I am only asking because I don't know.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 00:20 (Ref:748901)   #2
MA2
Rookie

MA2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a block is prepared correctly from the get-go, it will pretty much last forever in FF1600 configuration. The only real problem area that I am aware of is the oil hole in the center journal - if it is not radiused right, it can crack.

Most other problems in the assembly can be traced to age or bad prep.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 08:05 (Ref:749145)   #3
Jensen
Racer

Jensen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kent engine

Change your engine builder, tell the new one of the problems you are having and I would bet your problems would go away, it will probably cost you more money but tell the new guy to go right through the engine, no stone unturned, would probably be worth having the block xrayed too. If you feel you are getting a lack of power from the car are you sure it is engine ?, are you sure you are looking in the right place?, what about electronics, fuel delivery, diff and drivetrain? and even brakes!.

I know a chap who is great with Kent engines, building and machining, he works with all sorts of FF, works with set up and complete car essembly he may be worth a call. Email me if you want his number. jensen.motorsport@freenet.co.uk

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Jensen.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 09:35 (Ref:749229)   #4
jadlamracing
Rookie

jadlamracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are only 2 engine builders who are nominated by Ford to build FF1600 engines in Uk,all the others buy the parts from them.Neil Bold 01204 571636 & Tony Broster NES 01769 550381.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 18:56 (Ref:750068)   #5
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Thanks for that everyone. Following Jensen's comments, the engine was wired up to a state of the art tuning machine which showed no fault on the electrical side of things. There was certainly no problem with the brakes as I had stripped the car completely bare and built it back up. It is the first car I have seen that if you put it on a piece of flat tarmac and give it a slight push, it will roll completely freely until you stop it. That's the truth. Fuel flow is fine and the drive train spot on. The problem was a knock at the bottom end of the engine. Following a rebuild, the first time back at the circuit for a test and the knock re-appeared. The car had only done 4 laps at 5000rpm (bedding in). It might just be one of those where something was missed. Who knows, but I was just asking the question if they could get tired.....
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:11 (Ref:750718)   #6
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ours is bloody well exhausted- hole in the block. 12 races old, 2 careful drivers.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:18 (Ref:750730)   #7
kartingdad
Veteran

Ours is bloody well exhausted- hole in the block. 12 races old, 2 careful drivers.

Why do you think its not fast?

Have your results dropped off?

Who built the engine?

We got over 112 bhp from Neil Bold on our in April. (Mind you, its got zero now).
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:43 (Ref:751389)   #8
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
It's not a case of results dropping off as I haven't raced for a few years. Since starting back this year, the engine has had a few problems. I think it is just one of those things, but I was just asking the question. It had just been re-built and after four running-in laps at 5000rpm, the oil pressure died and it started to knock!!!!!!!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 20:50 (Ref:751399)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It sounds more like crankshaft or bearing trouble or the block my have warped and need line boring. Also the oil pump may be dodgy.
Old 14 Oct 2003, 22:42 (Ref:751482)   #10
kartingdad
Veteran

If I were you, I'd take the engine out and let someone like Neil Bold check it out. I know its a load of mider, but if its started to knock its seconds away from a big bang, which means you will still have to take the engine out, but it will be in component form!
Old 14 Oct 2003, 23:15 (Ref:751515)   #11
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Someone suggested the oil pump, but there doesn't seem to be much trouble with the oil flow. The engine was freshly rebuilt, so unless something was missed, I don't know what it could be..........
Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:03 (Ref:751755)   #12
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take it out and get an expert to look at it. not cheap but likely cheaper than not doing so.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 11:21 (Ref:751997)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Take it to someone who knows Ford engines and get it checked out. It is impossible to do a diagnosis over the internet.