Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 May 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2690462)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the actual idea of sing a short oval is fine as its alreayd there and existing much like ussing Mallory! Mallory was great apart from the track looking like the Somme after a few races!! And Blyton though ideal is not really a testing track and the dust is ALWAYS an issue there for fans and drivers.

Using somewhere like Aldershot is fine, but short ovals dont ahve much space, hence theya re only used perhaps for speedway, dogs, karting depending on the infield and car park quality and stock cars. Not much room at somewhere like Coventry or Brafield for a track.

Ipswich would be great but that place is doomed due to noise aswell, the houses are getting ever closer.
Old 14 May 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2690465)   #27
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To all
Please dont knock Teeside even before its run we need more tracks i have tested there yes it is tight but if we dont develop new tracks we will loose rallyx in the UK
The loss of Croft in out area was a big blow europe is going from strength to strength and the UK is fighting
If anyone has any ideas on possible venues please let me know i would love to develop one myself !
Old 14 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2690470)   #28
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mark Watson View Post
If anyone has any ideas on possible venues please let me know i would love to develop one myself !
If you need any help at all, give me a shout (I think you have my details knocking about from a while back – PM if not) – and that's a genuine offer. I'm sure there are loads of us who'd get involved if it would help towards seeing a new track in the UK.
Old 14 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2690471)   #29
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mark Watson View Post
Snetterton had a superb track layout back in the day, great first corner. Might be worth an approach Mark.
Old 14 May 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2690487)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thats an MVR track though BArrie and we all know Palmer is not really interested.

I cant think of any tracks running that would run rallycross otehr than those that already do like Mallory, KNockhill and Anglesey and Pembrey.

ireland are ok, but for tracks in England we are looking hard done by
Old 14 May 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2690504)   #31
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its a real shame - several years back when INCARACE were running Grand National cars, I remember at Mallory they were saying they had finance for a big oval track, but just need to find a venue. A larger oval for the casmo/ascar, with infield rallycross track would have been great.

Just look at the french ssuch as essay and kerlabo they look so small, but work. I think france is so strong because below rallycross - they have autocross and sprint cars and many all dirt venues that have potential to develop into ralycross circuits.

What happen with "Red Lodge"? or did the troubles at wildtracks sink that dream?
Old 14 May 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2690508)   #32
MESHGA
Racer

MESHGA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think the actual idea of sing a short oval is fine as its alreayd there and existing much like ussing Mallory!

Using somewhere like Aldershot is fine, but short ovals dont ahve much space, hence theya re only used perhaps for speedway, dogs, karting depending on the infield and car park quality and stock cars. Not much room at somewhere like Coventry or Brafield for a track.

Ipswich would be great but that place is doomed due to noise aswell, the houses are getting ever closer.
Have you been to Aldershot?
There was plenty of room with extra parking in the very large training area over the road from the main gate.
Loads of paddock area too
I spent half a day down there before the new lease was let to Spedeworth during the tender period.
Troble was the winning tender was quite big . mainly because bangers and hot rods get lots of people through the gate every week and they run their own food outlets .
Old 14 May 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2690541)   #33
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Snetterton had a superb track layout back in the day, great first corner. Might be worth an approach Mark.
I remember rallycross on 2 tracks at Snetterton - one up by the old hairpin and one on the runway / spectator access road by the esses and the old bridge. Always meant to ask either here, or on the history thread, if anyone had any pictures of rallycross at Snetterton.

Cue for a new thread, perhaps???.........
Old 14 May 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2690548)   #34
maxi.man
Rookie

maxi.man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I say before, this is the country we live in

Shame on you people of Tockwith!!! I think we should get a few2 Div 1 cars in the high street, sit them on start mode and let them have it!!

Seriosly, get used to it people, this is way our country is now.

i did this in my village i wouldnt advise it seriously ****ed people off
Old 14 May 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2690552)   #35
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have wondered off topic slightly, but it is a worth while discussion. Mark is right the UK is fighting at the moment. Keep coming up with suggestions and we'll see if we can find a site for Mark to develop! Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate has the size and space but not a natural lay out, that would need to be created. Although it's in the town, there's only housing at the back and the site is bigger enough that if the circuit was over the other side it may not be a problem.
Old 14 May 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2690561)   #36
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember many years ago there was rallycross at Aintree, I dont know how suitable it was & how much of the old race track it used but could a race course have a rallycross circuit incorporated?

Ive always felt Blyton has the potential to be developed into a top venue, a real purpose built rallycross circuit.It already has the basics, just needs more facilities & im not aware of any issues with the locals.
Old 14 May 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2690571)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The only locals in Blyton are sheep and Cows mate thats why!!

Plus the people that own it are petrolheads!! Thats what you need, but sadly very unlikely in most cases.

A new track has opened in Scotland called Locgelly, old autograsss track I think, they openeded a new tar track last year
Old 14 May 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2690583)   #38
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Manby - think the British Off Road Championship went there one year.
Old 15 May 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2690763)   #39
GM!
Rookie

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
GM! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finding a suitable venue is only part of the issue - no-one has mentioned getting an MSA license for a proposed event, especially at short notice if a venue change is necessary. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Plus, it would be nice to keep everyone informed on developments when trying to get a new circuit off the ground but you have to tread carefully because anyone opposed to it can take that information and use it against you, whether it would be a real issue or not. Before you know it, the minority are in the majority and you've lost the venue. Think about it.
Old 15 May 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2690804)   #40
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The only locals in Blyton are sheep and Cows mate thats why!!
i think the villagers would object to being called cows, there's quite a few villages around Blyton
Old 15 May 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2690822)   #41
MESHGA
Racer

You so right GM sometimes it isnt just the locals who put a very big spoke in the wheel!

On the MSA front.... If there was a new RallyCross track developed it would have to be meet FIA spec/standard.

With this in mind and bang up to date it would be more than eligable to host the British Euro round!

Two venues fighting for the big event ! Now that would be interesting
Old 15 May 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2690845)   #42
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd wondered about Aintree as well, would Three Sisters or Darley Moor be any good? Never been to the venues and I suppose Darley Moor is getting a bit close to Mallory. I think there more bike tracks than anything, so maybe a bit thin. Is Tockwith completely dead and nobody has mentioned whether moves are a foot to get back on Croft for 2011. I assume the PSM and I hope LHMC have already done this exercise of looking for venues. The Aldershot thing is that now dead as well?
Old 15 May 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2690855)   #43
MESHGA
Racer

What we need is a completely new venue , not an add on to some where already in existance and someone whos not worried how much they have to spend to get what they want, and not bias to anybody/Championship, just Rallycross. Lets hope the person who won 84 million last night on the euro millions is motorsport mad.
Old 15 May 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2690869)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn shame to hear of a new circuit that won't be getting off the ground.

Given that some people have mentioned the Excel course from a few years ago, would this sort of thing be do-able again? There are some huge sites in the Docklands area that I'm sure could be made suitable for rallycross; are "urban" tracks too much of a logistical nightmare to setup/apply for permission for?

Even considering sites like Battersea Power Station, which is obviously in a more residential sector of London - it's already been used for motorsport events (motocross) and several major outside events/festivals so would somewhere like that be usable - or do the noise levels (and safety requirements) of rallycross make it too difficult to get the relevant permissions or to even consider the use of such a site?

May just be day dreaming, but just think of the PR for rallycross if it could be brought to an accessible urban site.
Old 15 May 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2690893)   #45
chasing cars
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM! View Post
Finding a suitable venue is only part of the issue - no-one has mentioned getting an MSA license for a proposed event, especially at short notice if a venue change is necessary. Just thought I'd throw that in.
I think most of us were thinking long term. Trying to find and licence a new venue to replace a circuit that was announced months ago but not licenced itself by July would be pretty difficult to say the least.

Is it not possible for the Open to go back to Blyton and hold its Tockwith rounds there?
Old 15 May 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2690925)   #46
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as I love rallycross we have to except it is a minority sport. Having different groups running it doesn't help if you were looking at investing money in it.

Criticism has always been levelled at Blyton's lack of facilities, but it is the only venue that is not also a race circuit and it the money from race events that allow rallycross to have better facilities.
Old 15 May 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2690976)   #47
chasing cars
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver View Post
Much as I love rallycross we have to except it is a minority sport. Having different groups running it doesn't help if you were looking at investing money in it.

Criticism has always been levelled at Blyton's lack of facilities, but it is the only venue that is not also a race circuit and it the money from race events that allow rallycross to have better facilities.
That is the case generally but certainly not at Lydden where the opposite is true,even at Brands rallycross use to get some of its biggest crowds.

Back in the late eighties early nineties Croft use to also get big crowds for rallycross, unfortunately for whatever reason they did not return when rallycross was reintroduced to the circuit. Had they then im sure rallycross would still be on the calender there.Ive heard stuff like all people are interested in in that area is football but i can not believe that is true.

Blyton is the nearest we have to a French style circuit but without the facilities,but then a french national round will attract anything between 5000 & 20,000 spectators, big quality entries and a local population who give it full support. How can it be that it is so different in this country??
Old 15 May 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2690999)   #48
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What used to happen in the 80's & 90's is not now.
Rallycross is a minority sport, just because you get large crowds at one venue doesn't change that.

If it did cheese rolling would be up there as a major sport.
Old 15 May 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2691044)   #49
MESHGA
Racer

Comparing us to the French is like chalk and cheese so to speak!
We have crazy open all hours shopping laws here but in France everything closes so its easy to get huge crouds as they havent got many other things to do other than go to church.
Funding is the main glitch as even a basic full time track would cost several hundred grand just to buy the land then how do you put a cost on the work and materials?
If everyone was prepared to slum it and go really basic and rent a field like motor cycle grass track clubs do then it could be done as you can run i think 4 per year without planning consent ,but it wouldnt be rallycross more like auto grass !
Old 15 May 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2691178)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be fair autograss is run fairly professionally now. A lot of the tracks are permanent and to be even farier the quality of the cars is actually better than a lot of the rallycross cars in our mainland events. They all look sparkly and professional, there are very few sheds and the meetings are slick and fairly well done.

They do stop a lot of races for flags and stuff but every category has its low points.

But rallycross needs tar and decent pits and you dont get this at autograss so, not a comparison. PLus you dont need to fork for a stupid licence and you dont have to pay hundreds of pounds to race for no otehr reaosn than to line the MSA#'s pockets!!

But thats anotehr story