Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1451370)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Queen to hold reception at Buckingham palace to honour the UK's army of Volunteers!

.........however, I don't think any marshals are included on the list!

Why are we not recognised as volunteers in the same way as people who pick up litter in their local park?
Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1451373)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the same reason that there are no motorsport events at Crystal Palace
Old 3 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1451400)   #3
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You dont mean to say I have got one up on Stephen.
Went last year but not as a marshal. Representing another voluntary organisation.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1451418)   #4
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year, I've been to 10 Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, St. James'es Palace and THe Houses of Parliament - in my job as a courier! I get around!
Old 3 Nov 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1451472)   #5
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
.........however, I don't think any marshals are included on the list!

Why are we not recognised as volunteers in the same way as people who pick up litter in their local park?
Because people who pick up litter do a public service, whereas marshals do not.

If you had marshals there, you would have to have people who mechanic for club racing drivers on a voluntary basis, for example - where would you draw the line? Or people who edit popular websites...
Old 3 Nov 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1451509)   #6
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please folks let us not get upset over this. Even if there is anything to get even get upset over in the first place.
Firstly like it or not we tied up (in most peoples eyes) with big Multimillion pound companies.
Secondly when you look at ALL the different things people can & do volunteer to do what makes some of us feel we are more inportantant than any other group is.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1451536)   #7
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because the entire marshall system is volunteer.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1451550)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Write to your MP to get an invite????????
Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1451580)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would I get paid to attend???????
Old 3 Nov 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1451592)   #10
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that would be such a good idea.
Another line in Stephen's signature then.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1451595)   #11
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not al volunteers are unpaid.
Russfeld, because most of the marshals on this forum are mainly race marshals than that may be true, but marshals in other disciplines do recieve some form of payment.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1451656)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's an interesting question. I tend to think that we volunteer to be involved in something that interests us, rather than volunteering for the sake of it - in other words, we have something of an ulterior motive compared with someone who runs a fund raising effort for a hospice, for instance. However, I don't know if that is where the line is drawn. I would suspect that something along the line of charitable work would be the definition. Can anyone tell us if volunteers for other sports are involved? Wimbledon umpires, athletics judges or coaches of boys' football teams are possible examples? If they are, then I don't see that we're any different and maybe someone should drop a hint to their local MP.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1451876)   #13
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Would I get paid to attend???????

Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1451883)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I seem to be coming in for some 'stick' in some of the replies here?

Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1451885)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
awww poor Steve
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1451899)   #16
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see that my marshalling is any different to my Scouting.
I get just as much back out of being a Cub leader and Vice-chair for Herts Scout Network as I do from my marshalling.
With Scouting I help young people to enjoy their chosen activities.
With marshalling I help people of all ages to enjoy their chosen activities.
Where's the difference?!
I get a kick out of both, knowing that I've helped to make it possible by volunteering.

I think it's just down to the public's common mis-perception that we are all paid employees and not volunteers. If we were to write to the Queen and tell her of the massive number of voluntary hours contributed to our sport across the UK (and the World) by marshals, then I'm sure she would consider us in future.

Phill
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1451903)   #17
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found her address:

Her Majesty, The Queen
Buckingham Palace
London SW1A 1AA

Anyone got accurate/researched figures on marshalling hours contributed each year?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1451908)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!

Sorry Phil, got completely sidetracked there by visions of you in shorts and one of those floppy hats!

[/offtopic]

I think Chris' point is the best one - what kind of volunteers is this thing aimed at.

There are many sports where volunteers are the lifeblood - are they all invited and it's just marshals that are being ignored?

From my limited experience of these things, it's generally volunteers in the "community" that get this kind of recognition. Scouting would come into that category simply because it keeps the little darlings off the street for a couple of hours and teaches them something that doesn't require a playstation or a mobile phone to achieve!

Marshalling, whilst extremely valuable to motorsport, doesn't really do a lot for the community at large.... Well, with the exception of keeping us lot off the street most weekends.....

If it was a garden party for volunteers at Bernie Ecclestone's house, then I could understand the vitriol. But since when has the Queen been a fan of/involved in motorsport? So why should she invite motorsporty people to her house?
Old 4 Nov 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1451947)   #19
Red Baron
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
Red Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more EP.

Whilst we are all volunteers and we give up a lots of our free tine at our own expense, marshalling is ultimately a hobby, just like fishing, mountainbiking, sailing or other such pursuits. It's just that whilst we pursue our own interest we faciliate that of others i.e. drivers etc.

Why do people expect to be rewarded or recognised for participating in something that they do for their own enjoyment and of their own free will.

Beats me !

Rosie
Old 4 Nov 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1452059)   #20
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the New Year's and Queen's Birthday honours lists, local people received awards for their services to sports, like someone who has been a local club football referee for years. There is a petition to get Professor Sid Watkins a knighthood for his services to motorsport safety, maybe we should start nominating long-serving marshals??? It would help to inform the public we do it for free.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1452106)   #21
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry to say that I'll have a prior appointment (just in case anyone thought I should be asked to attend)...
Old 4 Nov 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1452118)   #22
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SkyRedButton,
"maybe we should start nominating long-serving marshals??? "

But you can! See: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/cere...how_to_nom.asp

And the very best of luck!

JOhn
Old 4 Nov 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1452438)   #23
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Because people who pick up litter do a public service, whereas marshals do not.

If you had marshals there, you would have to have people who mechanic for club racing drivers on a voluntary basis, for example - where would you draw the line? Or people who edit popular websites...
Marshals do more of a service than litter pickers any one can do that.
Old 5 Nov 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1452714)   #24
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the subject of Volunteers and Motorsport, has anyone else read the new issue of "The Marshal"? Front page article, on how the Government Motor Sports Unit is "to support the recruitment, training, grading,and retention of marshals".

How?
Quote," Five project support groups have been set up to cover REcruitmant, Retentoon, Training,Grading and Qualifications. There are 36 people [THIRTY SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] involved ion these groups representing Bikes, Karts, Race, Speed, Off-Road and Rally disciplines."

As one who knows, this is what has already happened in the NHS. Groups, people employed to service those groups, people employed to service the servicers (I wish says a farmer). It all goes around in a circle and NOTHING or rather LESS GETS DONE!

The article gets worse:
Recruitment campaign to be launched at the Autosport show - Preaching to the converted? Always gets a good response.

"A Training Needs Analysis (TNA) is almost complete....." can't you see them, wasting time composing those three letter acronyms. "Training programmes willl be matched to the TNA.....range of programmes....focussed and enjoyable...."

"grading scheme is being examined.....streamlined....prepared for discussuion with all parties.....not fundamentally change existing good practice [tell that to the NHS!] .....framework.. cross discipline marshalling [another - CDM??]

"Qualifications for Training Instructors, Marshals and Management Leadership [that's pretty good - the language of the MBA, "management" and "leadership" didn't get in until the last para]

I think it was Kafka who said that the worst words in the world are," I am a Government Inspector and I am here to help you". Well, I'm sorry guys and girls, the Inspector has called and we are all doomed.

John
Old 5 Nov 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1452724)   #25
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in my experience in "High Finance" if you don't want something to happen, lauch a study group to look into it. This means in the above case, you have 36 sides, all bickering and fighting their corner. S'funny how the Government has been privatising Quangoes and Quago-ing private (MSA) systems. It beats me how you can speed up recruitment and training without lowering standards. As I've just been the subject of NHS "targets" and waiting lists, I can see we could've let a very large genie out of the bottle!

AS for rewards, such as an invite to Buck House or a gong. That's so far away from why I started, and continue marshalling. I do it for the fame, the glory, the kudos and the sense of power I get, telling other marshals what to do - NOT! I happen to love motorsport, plus it's a great way to see other countries and meet other people...There, I've said it!