Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Jun 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3826810)   #1
hellfire31
Rookie

hellfire31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Body Cam

Anyone using body cams to record races for looking back on and also for incident capturing?
Old 4 Jun 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3826812)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire31 View Post
Anyone using body cams to record races for looking back on and also for incident capturing?
NO.
Video recording of racing by marshals is banned by both bike and car racing clubs
Ignoring this advice is a very quick way to get banned from being a marshal.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 17:57 (Ref:3826815)   #3
hellfire31
Rookie

hellfire31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would of thought it was a good way to refer back to incidents.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3826854)   #4
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No cameras on duty... photo or video. End of.

Last edited by deley; 4 Jun 2018 at 21:54.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 21:50 (Ref:3826855)   #5
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
NO.
Video recording of racing by marshals is banned by both bike and car racing clubs
Ignoring this advice is a very quick way to get banned from being a marshal.
Spot on.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3826911)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
Spot on.
Absolutely, if I was Clerking or Stewarding I would ask for the Marshal to stop recording, and if they didn't would ask for them to be stood down.
Old 5 Jun 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3826940)   #7
Duracell
Rookie

United Kingdom
Duracell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone who as replied is completely correct, video recording of racing is banned for Marshals, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

It is however an interesting question. It is likely that the rules banning recording equipment were written a long time ago and technology has moved on in unimaginable ways since.

With lower manning levels seen across the country and at times Marshals stepping up into roles unknown to them before I can understand why the question has been asked. The tech to do this is widely available and relatively cheap.

I would imagine that the MSA and the clubs involved would (quite rightly) be very worried about close up footage leaking its way online with the potential to do far more harm than good. I expect that this alone will probably stop any attempt to change the rules to allow these recording devices before the debate even starts...

I think that it is important to talk about change rather than just ignore or dismiss it. However in this case I feel there are compelling reasons to maintain the status quo.

Last edited by Duracell; 5 Jun 2018 at 13:10. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 5 Jun 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3826965)   #8
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Absolutely, if I was Clerking or Stewarding I would ask for the Marshal to stop recording, and if they didn't would ask for them to be stood down.
Interested in how you view a slightly different take as a Clerk Dave?

A driver pulled up on opposite side of track with a team on the outside. A lap later I had a heavy impact on the inside. During the incident I noted that the driver who had pulled up on the outside, ran down the gap behind the tyre wall and used his phone to record the entire incident we were dealing with. Unfortunately I couldn't get to him as we were still under live track (S/C) + I was busy of course, looking after our driver and clearing up the mess.

It vaguely irritated me, as effectively the driver was in a trackside position (not public area behind catch fencing). Whatever the MSA policy, I just didn't think it was "cricket" TBH. I did report it.

Does the MSA policy cover drivers trackside, or are they exempt? Has this type of scenario even been thought about?

TBF - I haven't seen the footage in the public media (yet).
Old 5 Jun 2018, 17:03 (Ref:3826983)   #9
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones View Post
Interested in how you view a slightly different take as a Clerk Dave?

A driver pulled up on opposite side of track with a team on the outside. A lap later I had a heavy impact on the inside. During the incident I noted that the driver who had pulled up on the outside, ran down the gap behind the tyre wall and used his phone to record the entire incident we were dealing with. Unfortunately I couldn't get to him as we were still under live track (S/C) + I was busy of course, looking after our driver and clearing up the mess.

It vaguely irritated me, as effectively the driver was in a trackside position (not public area behind catch fencing). Whatever the MSA policy, I just didn't think it was "cricket" TBH. I did report it.

Does the MSA policy cover drivers trackside, or are they exempt? Has this type of scenario even been thought about?

TBF - I haven't seen the footage in the public media (yet).
Certainly not cricket & no the Driver or any other Team Members are not exempt. As I was in the Safety Car I don't know what the end result was but @ the next MG meeting which is @ Donington in July i'll ask.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:39 (Ref:3827426)   #10
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Presumably the car number of the driver filming would have been known, so the driver could be easily identified.

Wrt body cams, the circuits have cameras and these are controlled from Race Control, so all events should be recorded and access controlled for disciplinary purposes, etc.

There should be no need for video captured from body cams worn by individual marshals. I don't get the point of them being useful if manning levels are low. They can't feed directly into Race Control, so would be only corroborating evidence for review after an incident. To use the recorded video would mean that the incident would have to have been observed and reported already in the usual manner, and the circuit cameras would also have recorded it Finally on this point, there would be no guarantee that you would be looking in the direction of the incident when it occurred Also, there would be no control on the saved images. There would be nothing to stop a user downloading the video directly onto a portable device.

The only possible good thing about the use of a body cam would be if there was an issue with dealing with members of the public or others, and an issue had been raised wrt the marshal's behaviour. There are police forces using them for this purpose. Do we want to go on this route ?

PS Good to see that there are things to discuss on here still.LONG LIVE TEN-TENTHS !!
Old 7 Jun 2018, 15:58 (Ref:3827432)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
PS Good to see that there are things to discuss on here still.LONG LIVE TEN-TENTHS !![/QUOTE]

Hear,hear.
Old 7 Jun 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3827434)   #12
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
Presumably the car number of the driver filming would have been known, so the driver could be easily identified.
Yes, number was noted and reported