Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2107833)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie vs Kiwi Rivalry

OK let's have it...

Quote from the NZ Herald (quite distorted if you read Martin's actual comments on A1gp.com):

"After achieving just one top-10 finish and only two points from five events so far Australia have dropped driver Ian Dyk for their rookie John Martin, 23, who showed typical Aussie mouth by saying nothing other than wins was acceptable."

Any of you mouthy bloody Aussies care to respond? Just keep it within forum rules please.

Brits and Irish are welcome to open a separate thread.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2107844)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you stirring Kiwi3??????

The article isn't actually that bad, it's just a comment saying they haven't performed and are switching drivers
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10487248

I actually feel for our friends across the ditch and am looking forward to see what Martin can do. After the 1st couple of races season one I truly thought the Aussies were going to be a force to be reckoned with but have become bitterly disappointed. So now I stand by my friends across the ditch hoping they get both car and driver hooked up. Not that hooked up mind you, just enough the be behind NZ
Old 17 Jan 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2107963)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
OK let's have it...

Quote from the NZ Herald (quite distorted if you read Martin's actual comments on A1gp.com):

"After achieving just one top-10 finish and only two points from five events so far Australia have dropped driver Ian Dyk for their rookie John Martin, 23, who showed typical Aussie mouth by saying nothing other than wins was acceptable."

Any of you mouthy bloody Aussies care to respond? Just keep it within forum rules please.

Brits and Irish are welcome to open a separate thread.
What is a Kiwi?

Thats right they are the flightless birds leaving their homeland in droves for the land of plenty!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2107970)   #4
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see a war coming on this thread.

Well everyone goes for wins when they are entering a championship. I think Martin is very confident in getting the results. But i also do think he wont win a race. He might get a podium if hes lucky. But i hope he can get points for Australia!
Old 17 Jan 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2108011)   #5
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
I actually feel for our friends across the ditch and am looking forward to see what Martin can do.
Yeah, me too NAC...no pressure John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
What is a Kiwi?
What's with the extra star on the flag?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2108087)   #6
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No pressure

Martin better do a better job then what Dyk did.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2108224)   #7
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with #2. Would like to see the Aussies do better, but I am a huge Jonny Reid fan.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2108249)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We make the Kiwi racesuits, and this is inside his belt...

Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:09 (Ref:2108464)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most fun races for me was the very first one at Brands Hatch in season one, partly because Matt Halliday and Will Power (I think it was?), were running quite closely near the front of the field. I hope John Martin does well (he has this morning, ahead of Adam Carroll in the rookie session again) so the trans-tasman rivalry can commence on track.

Australia's first win will be a happy day indeed, if they could somehow do it at Eastern Creek would be fantastic.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2108483)   #10
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or would it be more fantastic for Jonny Reid to win at the Creek..?

Old 18 Jan 2008, 03:49 (Ref:2108494)   #11
Stocky
Rookie

Stocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find that the PR spin on those "quotes" makes it sound a lot different to what is really said.

You interview a driver and ask him what he aims to do (dreams of doing) and they will invariably say they want to win races.

No news there.

Ask them if they really think they'll win first time out in an A1 GP car and they will laugh and say hell no, but I hope I can go top 10 or something.

That doesn't quite make as good a headline does it ?

So lets use the first quote

If you get the chance to talk to John Martin you'll find he's quite the opposite.

Sure he wants to win, but there is no ego about it.

If you see him anywhere, any time, he'll chat etc.

He really is a kid on a ride that he still pinches him self to check it's all real and he still can't belive how much fun it is.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 05:39 (Ref:2108517)   #12
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Or would it be more fantastic for Jonny Reid to win at the Creek..?

Nah would be much better if Martin got in first this weekend.

Ps. Why do Kiwis drink from saucers?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 06:07 (Ref:2108524)   #13
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Copying the Australian habit?

How does everything think John Martin will go on Sunday, he was up there in the rookie session again? I am wondering if he'll end up 5th/6th thereabouts, wonder if I should change my prediction picks.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 12:05 (Ref:2108700)   #14
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Maybe it's an old joke that just never made it off the island but okay Sizzle, I don't know, why do Kiwis drink from saucers?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2108812)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Maybe it's an old joke that just never made it off the island but okay Sizzle, I don't know, why do Kiwis drink from saucers?
Comes from a time when they lost everything in sight, even the Americas Cup.

"There are no cups in UNZUD."

Had to be there I guess.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 03:01 (Ref:2109188)   #16
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The extra star on the Australian Flag is the Federation Star. It represents the coming together of the colonies to make up Australia. There are seven points, one for each State and the seventh for the Territories.

Only Will Power and Ryan Briscoe seem to have been able to do anything with the Team Australia car. I wonder if it's that they were the only ones who could convince ADR how the car should be set up. Or maybe they are just that much better than the rest of our open-wheel talent.

I see that John Martin (and I'll echo those remarks about him being a really great young fella) is 12th for the feature race in NZ. Hopefully he can turn things around a bit. But I really think the main problem lies in the team's management. There's been little wrong with several of their drivers, IMO.

Kramer
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2109339)   #17
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
The extra star on the Australian Flag is the Federation Star. It represents the coming together of the colonies to make up Australia. There are seven points, one for each State and the seventh for the Territories.
Yeah, 10-4 Kramer. I was just yankin' your chain in the spirit of the thread. Dunno about the rest.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2109839)   #18
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
I think the answer is "because Australia won all the cups". It's also an old joke in NZ, just told the other way around.

Promising performance by John Martin on the weekend I thought, perhaps with a bit more experience the competition will become more intense between the two.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2109864)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I see that John Martin (and I'll echo those remarks about him being a really great young fella) is 12th for the feature race in NZ. Hopefully he can turn things around a bit. But I really think the main problem lies in the team's management. There's been little wrong with several of their drivers, IMO.
I suppose this has been done to death in the Ian Dyk thread (I'm beginning to feel quite sorry for the guy!), but I agree with your comments there, kramer.

If you look at Team Oz, they're just not in the same ball park as the teams that are winning races. I reckon EnZed will be on top in this particular battle for a long time to come.