Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 May 2020, 07:07 (Ref:3975854)   #376
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I note that the Times today indicates that the British GP double headers are "in doubt" as negotiation with F1 chiefs over financing the races has reached an impasse" - and they could be moved to Hockenheim. Apparently the BBC reported that F1 thought Silverstone was making "unreasonable" demands - although F1 had waived the £15 million race fee, Silverstone reportedly asked for the same amount to stage the event, before lowering their demand......

Sounds like they don't want the hassle.......

I dunno - I still find it absurd that Silverstone has to pay anybody in the first place , and then gets screwed to the bone about how much it can make to recoup that cost, let alone the random extra costs which the F1 folk demand be incurred on whatever capricious 'improvement ' they deem necessary . So F1 has said to Silverstone you don't have pay to put the race on - no spectators , how generous - and is now moaning about the fact Silverstone is looking to get somebody to its cost of putting on a show for the precious darling s of F1 .

'Unreasonable' ??? Like , y'know , extorting money out of circuits in the first place , as pioneered by the mercenary Ecclestone ? Boot on the other foot now ...
Old 13 May 2020, 09:52 (Ref:3975878)   #377
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
There is an update on the MSUK website from last Thursday about conversations with the government. It is actually, and rather surprisingly, quite optimistic in tone. I do think smaller venues and low profile events may well get to start up in July or August if things go well with the easing of the lockdown
But how do you put on a viable race meeting of, say, 6 races, all different clubs and series, with 200 race cars and 400 support vehicles and 600 people in a paddock like Combe or Mallory or Brands or Snetterton and maintain social distancing? Sadly I cannot see it happening until the number of new cases has dropped to the point where the risk of catching it looks acceptable.
Old 13 May 2020, 11:48 (Ref:3975897)   #378
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Sadly I cannot see it happening until the number of new cases has dropped to the point where the risk of catching it looks acceptable.
This is the question.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3975898)   #379
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But how do you put on a viable race meeting of, say, 6 races, all different clubs and series, with 200 race cars and 400 support vehicles and 600 people in a paddock like Combe or Mallory or Brands or Snetterton and maintain social distancing? Sadly I cannot see it happening until the number of new cases has dropped to the point where the risk of catching it looks acceptable.
200 race cars & 400 support vehicles! have you been to a BARC meeting in the last few years?

Just using the BARC as an example, in my experience 50 or 60 race cars is more the norm for most 'club' meetings, certainly @ Mallory.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:21 (Ref:3975902)   #380
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
200 race cars & 400 support vehicles! have you been to a BARC meeting in the last few years?

Just using the BARC as an example, in my experience 50 or 60 race cars is more the norm for most 'club' meetings, certainly @ Mallory.
Over 300 plus race cars over a weekend at virtually every CSCC meeting. The majority of the cars have 2 drivers per car so 2 “support vehicles”. A lot of people have a mechanical helper, so that’s another support vehicles. Many people now have a motorhome/ campervan. Some teams run several cars out of artics and awnings. And that’s club racing! The paddocks are rammed.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3975904)   #381
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Over 300 plus race cars over a weekend at virtually every CSCC meeting.
That’s what you get for actually listening to your customers and giving them value!!
Old 13 May 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3975909)   #382
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely the exception, looking forward to their visit in November.
Old 13 May 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3975925)   #383
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Wanted to get the facts so I've just checked the last 3 meetings of 2019 (not Boxing Day) and found the BARC had 70, BRSCC 90 and EMRA (Bikes) 176 competitors.
Old 13 May 2020, 13:47 (Ref:3975926)   #384
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Just had an interesting email from the ACO saying that the earliest they'll start is July 4th, a good point that I hadn't thought about is that although we're all supposed to be the same, the other 3 countries in the disunited kingdom have their own Parliaments hence:

'In order to reflect the differences in devolved administrations, no British Championship Enduro, Motocross, Trials or Speedway will take place until travel restrictions between England/ Scotland/ Wales/ Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man have been lifted and other factors considered, in line with Government guidance. '

Guess that would apply to BTCC etc etc.
Old 13 May 2020, 14:18 (Ref:3975932)   #385
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's only a problem for Knockhill. The rest of the BTCC is in England.

Our home kart circuit at Clay Pigeon (Dorset) has just issued its terms of business for when they re-open. Strictly one driver, one helper. All pre booked. I spoke to the management there about it and yes it will make my job overseeing a number of karts difficult so I will have to find creative ways of getting me and the mechanics in.

New world.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3975935)   #386
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's only a problem for Knockhill. The rest of the BTCC is in England.
The problem might be a bit wider felt than that:

Laser Tools need to cross borders, and then there's Sutton's movements to/from the workshop (dependent on the farm situation).

Do Turkington, Butcher and Smiley live in England?

I'm not being critical - I just know from experience that what seems simple on paper is a lot more complicated when certain nuances are factored into the planning.
Old 13 May 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3975943)   #387
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
That’s what you get for actually listening to your customers and giving them value!!
If only one day you "export" the concept, may be you'll have a lot of customers here…
Old 13 May 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3975945)   #388
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The Govt already makes allowance for situations where 2m social distancing is not possible, like in some manufacturing settings, or work where a team has to work together (do you see your binmen or plumber teams 2m apart?). In such situations it's up to the company (/meeting organiser) to put in place other measures like PPE, sanitisation etc.

It's plainly not possible to run a race meeting with everyone 2m apart. If that's the mandatory rule, just forget it. But it should be possible to make it safe (safe enough anyway) with stripped down teams, protective equipment, rules about things that get touched by lots of people, limited catering, no mixing.

VLN have apparently got support from the Institute of Hygiene and Public Health at Bonn University for a series of measures which would allow them to run race meetings from the end of June. Clearly it's going to be radically different, but it certainly doesn't include everyone being 2m apart at all times.

I also suspect Silverstone Classic looks just too soon. But if you take away the car clubs, catering and retail, reduce entries somewhat and mandate limits on team members, strict hygiene protocols and so on, I can see how it might be possible.
Old 13 May 2020, 16:14 (Ref:3975947)   #389
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Goodwood MM postponed to April 2021.

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...postponed-2021
Old 13 May 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3975948)   #390
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Goodwood MM postponed to April 2021.

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...postponed-2021
Yup, just got the e mail.
Old 13 May 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3975949)   #391
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I also suspect Silverstone Classic looks just too soon. But if you take away the car clubs, catering and retail, reduce entries somewhat and mandate limits on team members, strict hygiene protocols and so on, I can see how it might be possible.
It would also probably not be economically viable though...
Old 13 May 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3975957)   #392
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Others may have seen this already - the Techno Classica Essen ,which was already postponed to June 2020, has now been cancelled and will take place next April. This is due to updated advice from the German government.

Personally, following the recent PM's statement and the subsequent published document on the way forward, which does not (IMO) offer any hope for large public events until later this year (if at all), we will see a raft of previously postponed events now cancelled and others that have not yet been postponed cancelled as they realise they cannot run them in a viable form and even if the guidance on events changed it will be far too late in they year to run them.

All IMO as ever!
Old 13 May 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3975961)   #393
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Interesting comments in light of events that have yet to be cancelled..

In a statement, Goodwood said: "With social distancing measures set to continue through the summer, it has become clear that significant compromises would have to be made in order to hold the 78th Members' Meeting later in 2020 - compromises which would have risked losing what makes it so special to so many people."
Old 13 May 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3975978)   #394
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Wanted to get the facts so I've just checked the last 3 meetings of 2019 (not Boxing Day) and found the BARC had 70, BRSCC 90 and EMRA (Bikes) 176 competitors.
I'd heard the odd mention from friends that the 'traditional' race clubs were dying on their feet - thanks for confirming it. (for clarity in the UK I only race with CSCC and occasionally 750MC).
Old 14 May 2020, 09:57 (Ref:3976074)   #395
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

Only then it wouldn't be the Silverstone Classic ,and I'd object to having paid money for an event which no longer exists in its original form . And , like many others , I wouldn't be able to rely on using my B and B so I'd face a 1000 mile commute over 3 days.

Just roll it over to 2121 - and they are very welcome to keep my money for next year . But if an ersatz event is organised , but with no option of a refund , there will be trouble .....
Old 14 May 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3976216)   #396
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'd heard the odd mention from friends that the 'traditional' race clubs were dying on their feet - thanks for confirming it. (for clarity in the UK I only race with CSCC and occasionally 750MC).

As a big fan of CSCC I'm still hoping we'll be able to get at least a couple of meetings in this year - still scheduled to do Silverstone in late August, Donington in September and Mallory on November 1 (where I haven't raced for years)......but it occurs to me that if we have to practice 2m social distancing the pit-stop times are going to increase dramatically for many of us as with my HANS on it takes me ages to get my belts on unaided - normally have one assistant in through each side door....and that's before taking account that the CV lockdown diet may just possibly have meant that the belts will need to be loosened more than normal
Old 14 May 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3976226)   #397
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Richard I can't imagine that given the circumstances they won't make a rule change or accommodation for this year. May be I misunderstood but dont you have the choice for mandatory pit stop length following a recent consultation?
No worry about the lock down special diet which brought me 8 kilos. More not less!
Old 14 May 2020, 22:00 (Ref:3976263)   #398
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our local kart track has issued the terms under which drivers will have to operate when they re-open next Friday. They're opening Friday, Saturday, Sunday for owner/driver testing. It really is very, very strict to the extent I have decided not to support my drivers. I normally enjoy my work very much indeed, this doesn't look like fun and without the enjoyment the money isn't enough compensation.

This isn't a criticism of their strictness, just a recognition that the sport has already changed. I hope there will be some relaxation in due course, but we won't be going back to "normal".

Old 14 May 2020, 22:27 (Ref:3976267)   #399
midgetman
Veteran

Oh and another change. I've been told that when I renew my team insurance it will have an exclusion for CV19 liability. So if you think you catch CV19 because of my negligence, you will have to sue my team direct. An interesting development.

Old 15 May 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3976375)   #400
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It really is very, very strict to the extent I have decided not to support my drivers. I normally enjoy my work very much indeed, this doesn't look like fun and without the enjoyment the money isn't enough compensation.
C'est le début de la sagesse peut-être, le temps de relativiser et de mettre en perspective. Agreed, nothing will be exactly the same after this. Time to change.