Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 16 Oct 2003, 08:37 (Ref:752984)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Hawkeye" - Paul Hawkins bio

"Hawkeye" - Paul Hawkins bio - Any good? It looks a bit light on pages at 170, especially as I assume 10 or so of those will be used up on pictures

My first horrible memory of motor racing as a 6 year old and the drive back from Oulton in 1969

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Dec 2006 at 15:59. Reason: Driver Files edit
Old 16 Oct 2003, 08:46 (Ref:752995)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember hearing it on the car radio as we were on our way back from a meeting, maybe Snetterton.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:04 (Ref:753055)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got the book and I'm enjoying it. I think it may be a first effort from the author as I've not seen anything mentioning him. It is quite a small book but less than £17 for a short-run hardback biography is pretty darn good.

And the content of the book itself? Well, a first thing that one notices is that it's not terribly linear and this can be a disadvantage in a biography. The circumstances of the Oulton Park tragedy are gently glossed over, which is a pleasant surprise in this day and age. What really comes through though is the author's obvious knowledge of his subject. In many respects, it reads like Eoin Young's McLaren biography and as I've had that proudly on my shelves for decades, I am happy to give "Hawkeye" the thumbs up.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:15 (Ref:753063)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For those of us who don't know I got this from www.silhouet.com

Hawkins, Paul (Aus) Hawkeye
b 12/10/1937 (Melbourne) - d 26/5/1969 (Oulton Park)

1964 - 2nd in Rand GP (John Willment), won Rhodesian GP (F2 Brabham)
1965 - 3 F1 GP (1 John Willment, 2 DW Racing). 0 points. Crashed into Monaco
harbour in his F1 Lotus.
1966 - Won F2 Eifelrennen (Alexis)
1967 - Drove Ford GT40. Won Targa Florio (Porsche), Paris 1000km (John Wyer).
1968 - Won Monza 1000km (John Wyer)
1969 - Killed when crashed Lola T70 into tree during Tourist Trophy at
Oulton Park
Old 17 Oct 2003, 03:02 (Ref:753966)   #5
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Tim and Peter for update. I had better go and check at the book shop and see if my copy of 'Hawkeye' has arrived here in Aus.

Last edited by mickj; 17 Oct 2003 at 03:03.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3031936)   #6
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Another late posting from me, but Hawkeye was a favourite of mine.

In the Rheims 12-hours of 1967 he shared Jackie Epstein's Lola T70 - the race started at 12 noon and ended obviously at midnight.

In the dark Hawkeye smashed the outright lap record - I'm talking 3-litre GP cars here. After the race a reporter asked our hero how he'd done this - a baffled Paul replied "I got lights dunn'I?". Priceless.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3032337)   #7
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I know, I know.

At least JYS has dyslexia, I have only senility. In my haste I transposed the start/finish times, rendering the anecdote rather pointless.

Lola T70s did not usually last that long.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3032504)   #8
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard about Hawkeye's accident while at School. A "hero" of mine.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3032701)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I knew Paul well when I worked for Roger Nathan Racing at Fortis Green road and Paul had a workshop in the establishment. I remember coming into work on the Monday morning and hearing the news it was heart breaking, what a loss what a great character. I was actually talking with him about joining his team and used to buy all his old tyres from him and resell them out of Autosport to earn a few extra bob. I also bought a set of Borrani Mag Alloys from the road going GT40. I better not tell about the Christmas party at Grand Prix Metalcrafts workshop as I may get banned from the forum lol!
Old 29 Feb 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3032859)   #10
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to hear that story Al.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3033000)   #11
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
I heard about Hawkeye's accident while at School. A "hero" of mine.
Those Aussie drivers of the time were a piece of work and then some. (Gardner,Muir,Hawkins).

Mark Webber seems to be a really nice guy, but he's not really in the same league. Gee,thanks Bernie.