Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Mar 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3379019)   #251
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I hope that we don't get the same weather that greeted us at the final Goodwood test session yesterday. There had been patchy fog en route but as we approached the circuit, it was covered in thick fog.

No track action until 11.30 and if this is repeated at the actual meeting it will play havoc with the timetable. Fog can be a real risk at this time of year.

However it was dry, and it was possible to get some limited testing done - always a challenge when restricted to 5/6 cars on circuit at a time. There were surprisingly few cars there, perhaps the others knew about the weather!

I can confirm that the Drabble Mk2 Jag really does exist and is looking in fine fettle and certainly behaving itself on its initial outings.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3379103)   #252
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brian always good to chat! The irony is that the day before the circuit was blessed with summer like weather all day!
Some wonderful cars there - for me the two cool cars were the 1275 mini and a wonderful 60's road going one parked up complete with rally jacket on the back seat!
The Jaguar is fantastic and given it was straight out of the box amazing that only one gremlin came to the fore - the only thing we subbed out - the back axle! However Ken Bell has come to the rescue and we should be sorted by the end of next week. It might not win races against big V8's but it was driven to the circuit and back home and it's big grin factor on the track. Box ticked.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3379603)   #253
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
Driving the car to the circuit ... how splendid ! More people should join this clan. And, of course, it is very period Goodwood members meeting. Well done, sir !
Nick
Old 16 Mar 2014, 05:55 (Ref:3380293)   #254
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Simon,
Driving the car to the circuit ... how splendid ! More people should join this clan. And, of course, it is very period Goodwood members meeting. Well done, sir !
Nick
Thanks Nick, I always thought it was very impressive seeing you do it - it's my antidote to the very extreme cars!!

If I have done it properly I have uploaded a photo of the Jaguar and one of Simon Hadfield giving a master class on how to push a DB4GT through the chicane!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 05:59 (Ref:3380295)   #255
simon drabble
Veteran

Try this
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 06:15 (Ref:3380308)   #256
simon drabble
Veteran

Sorry I don't know how to get more than one photo on one post!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 06:18 (Ref:3380313)   #257
simon drabble
Veteran

Think we might need to do some more work on set up,
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 06:19 (Ref:3380314)   #258
simon drabble
Veteran

Lovely 1275GT
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3380323)   #259
simon drabble
Veteran

Eclectic mix queuing up for the fog to lift.... having seen how the circuit is shaping up and seeing the standard of prep of the cars there it should be a great meeting.
Having seen the Lotus "Breadvan" out and being managed by original peddler Graham Capel I think that could be a dark horse!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 06:30 (Ref:3380324)   #260
simon drabble
Veteran

Sorry lost the attachment
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3380404)   #261
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Simon great photos your jag just needs a 2 inch thick front anti roll bar . Ha ha looks like fun
Old 16 Mar 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3380427)   #262
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Simon, its been a long road but you've been going on about it for years, so ambition achieved.

Apologies for missing you, so busy here I forgot!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 10:54 (Ref:3380489)   #263
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
can you fit an anti-roll bar to the photo loader?
Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3380533)   #264
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
can you fit an anti-roll bar to the photo loader?
Looks like same problem I have when loading pics straight from phone!

Thanks for posting the pics Simon. Good for those not involved to see some of the cars. The Lotus 11 'GT' fascinates me, hope it goes well in the races.

Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3380543)   #265
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Sorry I don't know how to get more than one photo on one post!
Simon, if you click on Manage Attachments
(you may need to click Go Advanced if you originally selected quick reply) you'll then get a pop up box with about five spaces to attach pictures by clicking on the Browse button to upload from your PC or Upload url button if you want to link from a website. The just click open on the file you want to upload, do this on the next box for another file and keep on that way.
Hope this helps.

Excellent photos btw
Old 16 Mar 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3380663)   #266
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I take the 11 G T is the car that SimonD should not have sold and I should have bought when I had the chance.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3380947)   #267
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is the only one isn't it John/Simon ?

Is that strange looking green beast the Rochdale GT that was at the revival ?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:45 (Ref:3380971)   #268
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far from the only one, Joe, in fact my father built and raced one himself, Andrew Schryver's Lotus 11 was the GT that was raced by the team that went on to build the 12 cylinder Lotus 23, I have the ex-Bertorelli car here with the roof section (gullwing doors!) that we removed, now lodged in the rafters above our storage area. Ben Moore, a Mr Nicholson, and I think George Silverwood were among the other ones my old man used to race against. Bizarrely they are even properly homologated as 1100 GT cars!
It was the only practical way to race a Lotus 11 in the early sixties - open top racing had all but died out for the clubman and Special GT racing was all the rage - at least thats why my father modified his.

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 17 Mar 2014 at 08:52.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3380972)   #269
simon drabble
Veteran

Yes Simon is right - Graham Capel built two, mine was the first one he built and raced in the Redex for Plumstead Racing and another team.
He was at Goodwood on Thursday and will be there for the meeting.
I wonder if we now see the 23GT's coming out - presumably they will be allowed in the Spa 6 Hour which would ruffle a few GT40 feathers!
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3380974)   #270
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of these?

Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:01 (Ref:3380975)   #271
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, but the 23 GT was never homologated - they were just club racing cars.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3380976)   #272
simon drabble
Veteran

shame - its always good to see the little man give the big boys a run for their money!! Maybe Goodwood will invite one the next time they run the 23s etc...
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3380982)   #273
exnigel
Rookie

exnigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two rooms at the Bluebell Inn Midhurst

Hi All
Unfortunately have had to withdraw the Kieft GP Car from the pre 61 grid as have been let down by the suppliers of the cylinder liners to head sealing rings. Because the car has a unique cylinder diameter these are unavailable off the shelf, and a 6 week manufacturing promise has extended to the end of March. Pretty disappointing all round.
I will still be going to the meeting but now have a couple of rooms (1 double one twin) spare in Midhurst Pub for the saturday night. Here is tripadvisor link

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...x_England.html

I don't know how difficult rooms are to get at the moment, but before I cancel these on wednesday does anyone want them? They are £115 each.
PM me if interested
Nigel B
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3380988)   #274
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, suppliers are like that. We're still waiting for the fuel cell which was due to be delivered last week, having been paid for in January. Fingers and toes crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
17_3_2014-001.jpg  
Old 17 Mar 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3380991)   #275
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, suppliers are like that. We're still waiting for the fuel cell which was due to be delivered last week, having been paid for in January. Fingers and toes crossed!
Look at the engine bay! How clean is that?!

Fingers crossed you get the cell this week. How's is everything looking other than that mate?