Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2020, 10:10 (Ref:3995363)   #1776
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Don’t blame me, I just try to enjoy it
Old 14 Aug 2020, 12:29 (Ref:3995378)   #1777
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I confess, i don't really care about the Commentary quality, I watch F1 on Sky because it's always Live, not 2.5 hours after the race has finished. Given the choice, who'd take terrestrial over sky if you could watch live or delayed ? I appreciate not everyone has sky F1, but if you have, you'll watch it Live.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 12:46 (Ref:3995381)   #1778
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I confess, i don't really care about the Commentary quality, I watch F1 on Sky because it's always Live, not 2.5 hours after the race has finished. Given the choice, who'd take terrestrial over sky if you could watch live or delayed ? I appreciate not everyone has sky F1, but if you have, you'll watch it Live.
As far as watching F1 live if you can is concerned, I would add that for me, if I could watch it live I would do, but only if I had the time to do so.
I have been a life-long motorsport fan, I have competed myself and have worked within the industry. However, it is not the most important thing in my life. I couldn't justify the cost of Sky anyway, but that is also because I haven't got the (spare) time to watch all of the coverage to make the expenditure worth-while. I don't know how long the programmes take, but I couldn't just ignore my family for (say) two hours during the day on a Saturday and then for (say) three more on a Sunday so I could watch the qualifying and race programmes live. Then on top of that are the Free Practice, race build up and post race discussion programmes. When I watch something that I enjoy, I like to do so without distractions or interruptions, so I am best to do this whilst on my own. Therefore recording both the qualifying and race highlights programmes from the excellent C4 coverage and getting up early before anyone else in the house the following morning gives me the opportunity to indulge & immerge myself completely into the coverage without distraction, with the ability to rewind (or even fast forward) sections to my hearts content and not feeling (or made to feel) guilty for neglecting, or for not interacting with my family.
We are all different, but this is how it works for me.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3995386)   #1779
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Luckily for me VivaGT, my wife and 2 sons also love Motorsport, so we watch F1 together, Live. Like you, I have worked for many years in Motorsport, and am a lifelong F1 fan, which I guess is why I ended up with a soul mate with compatible interests. I agree with you however, if my family weren't as supportive and didn't want me taking some time to enjoy myself, i'd probably avoid media and friends for the day and get up in the wee hours to catch up on my passion. As you say, we are all different.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3995388)   #1780
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At this moment in time I’m happy it is back at all, but I do miss being able to watch at least half the races live. Luckily I avoided the results before last weekend’s race, which made it more enjoyable, but that is not always possible. I do enjoy the C4 coverage too, and look forward to more this weekend
Old 14 Aug 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3995392)   #1781
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At this moment in time I’m happy it is back at all, but I do miss being able to watch at least half the races live. Luckily I avoided the results before last weekend’s race, which made it more enjoyable, but that is not always possible. I do enjoy the C4 coverage too, and look forward to more this weekend
So true, it's great to have F1 back, we all love it on here, or we wouldn't be here. Enjoy !!
Old 14 Aug 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3995394)   #1782
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
So true, it's great to have F1 back, we all love it on here, or we wouldn't be here. Enjoy !!

Cheers! Here’s to a great rest of the season
Old 15 Aug 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3995578)   #1783
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If live there is obviously no choice and you can somehow get beyond the people you are forced to listen to in exchange for the love experience. The volume button is wonderful for this.

When having to watch a re-run it is C4 all the way.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 17:56 (Ref:3995594)   #1784
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
C4 all the way.
Not for me. Sky all the way, every time in my opinion. Jones is VERY annoying ( although Lazenby isn't much better ). Again, in my opinion. Others are free to have theirs, I am polite enough to say.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3995595)   #1785
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lazenby is ace. Not as good as he was on the rugby, but a good anchor. IMHO.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3995598)   #1786
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see the C4 crew are in Woking this weekend.
Does anybody know what the old red car is behind Steve and whats its significance?
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:06 (Ref:3995599)   #1787
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sky have the Option crew on duty at Barcelona.

Lazenby, Kravitz both on holiday - this would have been the August break, and no Davidson or DiResta as both getting wet at Spa in the WEC.

Rachel Brookes and Natalie Pinkham sharing the hosting duties, Herbert, and Chandhok, sharing the Fps with Crofty. Nico Rosberg as main pundit alongside Brundle.

It's not that I don't like him, but Lazenby is the one that I'm not missing from the coverage.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:07 (Ref:3995600)   #1788
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Lazenby is ace. Not as good as he was on the rugby, but a good anchor. IMHO.
I'm just glad that Rugby is finally back full stop. I'd take any old commentary team to be honest !!
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:10 (Ref:3995602)   #1789
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
no Davidson or DiResta as both getting wet at Spa in the WEC.
Just watched the end of that, felt sorry for ByKolles, so near the end ! Big one for the Alpine too.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3995603)   #1790
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see the C4 crew are in Woking this weekend.
Does anybody know what the old red car is behind Steve and whats its significance?
I believe the first car Bruce McLaren ever raced in, was an Austin 7 Ulster. I think that's what the red car is.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:19 (Ref:3995604)   #1791
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not for me. Sky all the way, every time in my opinion. Jones is VERY annoying ( although Lazenby isn't much better ). Again, in my opinion. Others are free to have theirs, I am polite enough to say.

I suppose I should add I tune in for the formation lap and tune out once the podium is done with usually. I am less obsessive than I was as a youngster (thank god) and simply don't want to listen to the pre-race drivel, barring the odd interesting feature which Sky produce to a high quality tbf

From what I have seen of Jones he is wildly inappropriate for the role but, somehow, not entirely dislikeable. I am not into Lazenby much either, I can't really explain why. Just a bit rugby I guess? A goalless draw there.

I prefer Edwards to Crofty and I favour DC over Brundle these days. Martin seemed a bit jaded and down on F1 for a few years from 2015 and I just found it a bit tedious to listen to. He has perked up a bit now admittedly. DC is basically Martin 1997-2014 but better!

Sky's jewel is Ted Kravitz. I wish I had a fraction of his enthusiasm and warmth!
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:30 (Ref:3995607)   #1792
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I suppose I should add I tune in for the formation lap and tune out once the podium is done with usually. I am less obsessive than I was as a youngster (thank god) and simply don't want to listen to the pre-race drivel, barring the odd interesting feature which Sky produce to a high quality tbf

From what I have seen of Jones he is wildly inappropriate for the role but, somehow, not entirely dislikeable. I am not into Lazenby much either, I can't really explain why. Just a bit rugby I guess? A goalless draw there.

I prefer Edwards to Crofty and I favour DC over Brundle these days. Martin seemed a bit jaded and down on F1 for a few years from 2015 and I just found it a bit tedious to listen to. He has perked up a bit now admittedly. DC is basically Martin 1997-2014 but better!

Sky's jewel is Ted Kravitz. I wish I had a fraction of his enthusiasm and warmth!
I only tend to watch before and after if my sons are, always depends on other things. And I agree with you on Kravitz, he definitely brings something unique. I know DC & MB, both are great guys, so won't comment there !!
Old 15 Aug 2020, 20:20 (Ref:3995622)   #1793
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Brundle still has it. His son Alex is a real "chip off the Martin block" as a commentator.
I just don't like screamer commentators..Crofty and the CH4 one. As for DC.. come on.. that droning voice..bores the hell out of me..
Next year.. the anchor should be Ted..
Old 16 Aug 2020, 01:24 (Ref:3995657)   #1794
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I just don't like screamer commentators..Crofty and the CH4 one.
Next year.. the anchor should be Ted..
Here in Oz we get the Sky commentary so can't comment on the CH4 one but so agree with you on screamers - or shriekers in Crofty's case.

I often wish there was another gas they could suck on, with the reverse effect of helium - deepen the voice - combine that with a very mild dose of valium and we'd have a commentator who shows enthusiasm, loves the sport and who doesn't damage TV speakers or our ear drums.

Ted could be a good anchor but I think that he's just so good in his current role, it would be a shame to lose that.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 10:11 (Ref:3995696)   #1795
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ted would be a capable anchor, and has intro’d FPs in the past. But having him front the show, would result in him not having the time to do what he does best.

That’s ferret around the pits and paddock getting the details, info and background that makes him invaluable to the whole coverage.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 10:18 (Ref:3995697)   #1796
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Ted would be a capable anchor, and has intro’d FPs in the past. But having him front the show, would result in him not having the time to do what he does best.

That’s ferret around the pits and paddock getting the details, info and background that makes him invaluable to the whole coverage.
Plus one to this!

Ted however adds something to any good to any coverage team imo.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3995707)   #1797
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Here in Oz we get the Sky commentary so can't comment on the CH4 one but so agree with you on screamers - or shriekers in Crofty's case.

I often wish there was another gas they could suck on, with the reverse effect of helium - deepen the voice - combine that with a very mild dose of valium and we'd have a commentator who shows enthusiasm, loves the sport and who doesn't damage TV speakers or our ear drums.
In which category would you put the legend Murray Walker? He has forgotten more about motorsport than all the current commentators know now (combined).
Old 16 Aug 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3995716)   #1798
S griffin
Veteran

Murray knew when to put the excitement up and could certainly could be good listen for even the dullest race
Old 16 Aug 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3995725)   #1799
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
In which category would you put the legend Murray Walker? He has forgotten more about motorsport than all the current commentators know now (combined).
Forgotten? Despite the Murrayisms while he was commentating, I always thought his knowledge was encyclopaedic.
Old 16 Aug 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3995769)   #1800
S griffin
Veteran

The Murrayisms were bound to happen when he was commentating as if “his trousers were on fire”, to quote Clive James

Tags
pinks