Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:30 (Ref:3510639)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Current formulae / categories capable of being run in 20 yrs?

OK, prompted by the comment on another thread about needing the software unlock codes and works engineers to run a recent Peugeot LMP car, what categories and formulae out there racing as 'moderns' do you think will be useable as 'historics' in 20 plus years time?

Looking at the complexity of the current hybrid F1 and LMP1 cars I can't see them on track in 2025........

Old 2 Mar 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3510642)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
That might be a problem Mike but these will still be eligible !
Attached Thumbnails
soapbox.jpg  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Mar 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3510764)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well, you've already got the Super Tourers back in action (yay!) and the late 90's GT1 cars had a demo run at the Silverstone Classic last year - with any luck they'll get a championship as well. Looking further forward S2000 touring cars and GT3 would seem obvious categories to have a historic championship at some point in the future.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3510818)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well, you've already got the Super Tourers back in action (yay!) and the late 90's GT1 cars had a demo run at the Silverstone Classic last year - with any luck they'll get a championship as well. Looking further forward S2000 touring cars and GT3 would seem obvious categories to have a historic championship at some point in the future.
Yes, would be good to see the GT1 cars race! Correct me if I'm wrong, but they were 'loosely' based on road cars? GT3 is obviously so based, so they should be capable of continuing in the future. It's things like LMPs and the higher Formula cars I can see problems with.

The Super Tourers haven't had an easy ride, with tyre supply being a problem and then concern over the bespoke Magnesium wheels they run, which are no longer produced. They seem to have got together and sorted the issues, though, which is good.

Old 2 Mar 2015, 19:39 (Ref:3510870)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any class that has privateers running them then they should be useable.
Single seaters are almost all spec cars so they can still race each other but they are not really cutting edge for their time.
LMP2 cars could be interesting though.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3510961)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Most us old farts on here will be missing in twenty years
Old 3 Mar 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3511031)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Most us old farts on here will be missing in twenty years
Optimist! With luck I'll have a plug in hybrid bath chair to create havoc in.....
Old 3 Mar 2015, 14:01 (Ref:3511162)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi uses production parts in the new R8 LMS whenever this makes sense in racing from a technical and economic point of view. For example, the V10 engine with 5.2 liters of displacement and a power output of up to 430 kW (585 hp) leaves the same line as the production unit. It remains nearly unchanged and, with a scheduled rebuild interval of 20,000 kilometers, stets standards in racing. The engineers use modified or completely new assemblies whenever this is required in racing by the regulations or by the clearly higher loads that occur in competitive conditions. The production ASF chassis, for instance, is modified whereas the completely new bodywork is made of CFRP. The suspensions now use wishbones strictly designed for racing for the first time and the six-speed transmission with paddle shifters is a completely new development as well. It is significantly lighter than its predecessor while its efficiency has increased because the previous drop gear system has been eliminated. The new MS 6.4 electronics include engine electronics, traction control and software for the electro-hydraulic gearshift. The powerful processor enables higher processing speeds that result in faster responses. A power box is another new feature. It replaces the traditional fuse box and makes it possible to define individual loads and scenarios.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 14:06 (Ref:3511166)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
That might be a problem Mike but these will still be eligible !
Typical modern H&S, Namby Pamby wearing a crash helmet ... now in my day .......

Old 3 Mar 2015, 15:04 (Ref:3511199)   #10
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keeping old electronics working is much harder than the mechanical side but the sensible/safe solution is to update them.

You can replace an old ECU with a modern off the shelf programmable unit.
The unit itself is affordable (£1500) unfortunately making the wiring loom to connect it can cost upto 20 grand!

The reduced size of the unit means it can be hidden inside the original boxes or hidden for those who worry about appearance.

Steering wheels might be a problem (some currently cost 25 grand) but again can be replaced by a standard unit - even current F1 has gone that way with a standard display!

Old carbon suspension components could be a problem and should be replaced (preferably with steel) but that happens with old steel ones anyway.

Basically the amount of money people are prepared to spend "historic" racing has increased so much that it will be possible to keep anything running if there is a desire to do so.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3511276)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Audi uses production parts in the new R8 LMS whenever this makes sense in racing from a technical and ........................ traditional fuse box and makes it possible to define individual loads and scenarios.
Yeh right, all your own words! Sorry for not responding earlier- been reading up on the LMP Audi and Nissan testing at Sebring, and the debate over Alonso's 'injury'......

Peter, I get your point on electronics.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3511291)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yeh right, all your own words! Sorry for not responding earlier- been reading up on the LMP Audi and Nissan testing at Sebring, and the debate over Alonso's 'injury'......

Peter, I get your point on electronics.
Right Mike! The picture reveals the level of my technical knowledge, the rest is from a recent Audi Press Release, which I thought helped to put your point across.

The sophisticated device about to plunge down the dreaded 'Black Slope', was my construction.

Oh ! And I took the picture, no way was I going to entrust my life to such a dangerous looking machine.

I am sure we would all value your expert view of the 'Alonso situation', if you can find the time to enlighten us.

I wonder how long before those wretched Mods close us down?

Cheers,

Bob.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3511297)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think things like current F1 and LMP1 cars can be ruled out due to the level of complexity. I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be somesort of GT3 revival in the future by simple reason of the the shear number that exist (I've read that there are over a hundred Audi R8s alone). As a consequence, I'm sure that a decent number will make it through to racing as historics.

The issue as I see it is the technology involved. There are issues with the compatibility of cars made in the mid 90s with current computer systems. I can't see that particular problem going away.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 06:18 (Ref:3511501)   #14
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is technology really helping us now or are we becoming dependant slaves to it….

Cars don't get rusty anymore, They don't break, They do hundreds of thousands of miles… yet they still get scrapped because invariably a little control module becomes faulty and costs a fortune to fix??

I see the world changing to humanoid robots all walking about with a permanent arm extended looking into a screen zombie like where the world seems to have become obsessed with paying a fortune for something which essentially allows you to photograph your own face and sentd it around the world..

My wife has bought a Boogie Board…Its essentially a note pad marketed on the basis that it is sustainable…It was £35.

Whats so wrong with a pencil and bit of scrap paper…

We are supposed to be green but we throw away more than ever…

Remember bars of soap??? they now come in bottles!!!!!

Technology..great to a point but when it takes over for no additional benefit, time to do something different…

N.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3511503)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I think things like current F1 and LMP1 cars can be ruled out due to the level of complexity. I wouldn't be surprised if there were to be somesort of GT3 revival in the future by simple reason of the the shear number that exist (I've read that there are over a hundred Audi R8s alone). As a consequence, I'm sure that a decent number will make it through to racing as historics.

The issue as I see it is the technology involved. There are issues with the compatibility of cars made in the mid 90s with current computer systems. I can't see that particular problem going away.
I'm saving up for a GT3! Bentley Continental, please......

I think PeterM hit the nail in a previous post, suggesting that some re-hash of electronics will likely be necessary to make cars compatible with whatever level of technology we have reached by then.....

Sadly I can't see a couple of blokes running a 2014 Mercedes F1 out of the back of a Transit in 2035........

Old 4 Mar 2015, 07:00 (Ref:3511509)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Copied from t'other thread (now closed):-

if I live long enough I'd love to see DBR9s, CR6s, 550s and Vipers turn up in historics! Proper front engine RWD cars, the true descendants of DB4GTZ, Project cars, 250GTOs, Lightweight Es and Shelby Cobras etc.

I reckon an ORECA Viper is already a classic and truly historic, and I've actually sat in one. Nearest I'll ever get to racing!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 4 Mar 2015, 07:06 (Ref:3511510)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Copied from t'other thread (now closed):-

if I live long enough I'd love to see DBR9s, CR6s, 550s and Vipers turn up in historics! Proper front engine RWD cars, the true descendants of DB4GTZ, Project cars, 250GTOs, Lightweight Es and Shelby Cobras etc.
I'm with you on that! What category were those cars, John- GT something or other?

I'll have a CR6, please.......

Old 4 Mar 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3511514)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
reckon an ORECA Viper is already a classic and truly historic, and I've actually sat in one. Nearest I'll ever get to racing!
John,
I think you could start a whole new series running Wolsleys, Capris, Rovers, Morris Minors, Ford Anglias, and several other marques.

You could call it Fuzcar.

Ding-a-ling-a lang!!!!

Bauble. Always one for bright new ideas.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 07:39 (Ref:3511520)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I'm with you on that! What category were those cars, John- GT something or other?

I'll have a CR6, please.......

It was GT1 but became so expensive technically that they now concentrate on GT3, still good cars but not quite as 'out there' as those earlier cars, a 'golden age' of the (relatively) modern era.

Ah, Bob, a Police car race. Hmm. We'd have to measure the sound output of all the sirens and bells constantly instead of exhausts.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!